Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG WONDER Discussions

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG WONDER Discussions

Old 11-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SIG WONDER Discussions

I've seen various posts on Sig WONDER planes and could not find a thread dealing with WONDERS in general discussion.

So why not start here and if you have something to share, albeit advice on what you think is the best engine/plane combo, experience, bragging rights to a good or funny story or just share pictures, postit. You will not hijack anybody's thread.

Let's make this a WONDERsite(so to speak) as this is a little plane with a big heart.

I've been building on and off WONDERS for many years and got this "Love - Hate" relationship with them. I like the planes very much for good handling, being fast etc but flying it with a hot engine is an adrenaline rush and then asking myself "what the hell am I doing?"... only to land it with a big smile.. I had a previous WONDER with red on top and white below - a little difficult to pick it up in the air at high speed - so I painted in big Yellow letters "OHSHEET!!" accross the top of the wing - so whenever I saw a red/yellow flash, I know "OHSHEET!!", the plane is not upright and is going somewhere fast. See pic.

Not so long ago I saw a pic of a WONDER with some influence of a "Das Ugly Stick", so I thought to give it a go myself and see if I can scratch build one too. This have a slightly longer wing and does have wheels, so it will not be a "tar burner", but with a "MUTTLEY profile" as a pilot, it will be general fun plane to fly. Still have to do Muttley. See pic.
On another scratch build I made one of epoxy/composite (See yellow/red wing one). This is powered by a OSMAX25 and is seriously fast. See link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UvYmoMZbh0

These WONDERScan take a beating on landings and can stress age fast, especially with bigger engines, so I retire them for safety reasons and they make EXCELLENT slope soarers. Take the engine, fuel tank and throttle servo out, extend the nose to get the cg back to where it was and toss the plane off a cliff - they make good slopies.
So if you have a WONDERgathering dust- why not giving it a new life on the slope as a fun sloper? let us know your experience.

Cheers

Bundu

Old 11-27-2010, 11:17 AM
dash008
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SIG WONDER Discussions

This is my favorite Wonder video on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIukGPCPi_o Nice catch! Anyone here responsible for this one?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:27 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

I'm looking for information on makeing my Wonder electric.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:41 PM
rt4957

I was bitten by the Thread,,I ordered one the Other night from Sig,,Just awaiting the "On its Way,or "We Don`t Have" response.

I have yet to learn to fly,,but have been building a few things,,and it looks fun.

Plan to put wheels on mine,and a Small engine

Rt4957
Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 PM
WCB

I was bitten by the Thread,,I ordered one the Other night from Sig,,Just awaiting the "On its Way,or "We Don`t Have" response.
Good luck !

I have yet to learn to fly,,but have been building a few things,,and it looks fun.
Better get a plane or three under your belt before flying this one. Builds easy, but it flies pretty fast. Definitely not for a novice.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:33 AM
jship

This is not a trainer plane by  any definition.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:33 AM
Bundubasher

Hi RT4957,

These WONDERScan be seriously fast and manouvreable -the one speed manouvre just flows ongoing into another- see video link in my 1st posting. Thus not a plane to train on.

Better to build yourself a small Das Ugly Stik or something similar and train on that (or simulator). Fit a 0.10 - 0.15 engine(and make sure the throttle servo can cut the engine)in the beginning, but later you will itch to fita 0.25 (probably the best engine size for experienced pilots. We have fitted upto 0.36 engines but then you have so much power that it overcooks the aerodynamics of the wing - and you have a sore neck after the flight......

As for adding landing gear - maybe not a good idea at first - it will slow the plane down, increase the wingloading (stall speed)and handling. These planes are small and fast - not meant to fit rudders or wheels. Bust to handlaunch. To see how it is done, see video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osl0ZBfd3_U

My latest WONDER (MISCHIEVIOUSMUTTLEY theme ) does have wheels and Muttley as a pilot. However, as a scratch build, I did increase the wingspan 15 cm (lowering the wing loading) and made the tail longer to attempt to offset theturbulence over the elevator that maybe caused byMuttley.See pics.

Good luck

Bundu
Old 11-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

That is so cool! how is the ground handling? or is that just for landing? I would have to agree, these are a terrible trainer. But Fun!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:12 PM
rt4957

All posts well heeded,,I just want one to assemble,then have for the future.

I do have trainers in the almost done stages,a Sig Seniorita,and a Midwest Aerostar 40.

I have a few kits in the stash ready for building as well,an old Hobby shack SST40 and also a Sig Kadet Mk II,this way,I`ll have a spare or 2 if I boink one at the field.

I understand the "Not a trainer" thing about this aircraft,,it just looks like fun to build and with Sig kits being questioned availability,,I wanted to try and get one before they might be gone.

Rt4957

Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 PM
dash008
My Feedback: (1)

Does SIG have any?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM
rt4957

Haven`t Heard yet,,but I placed a "Direct From Sig" order on Wednesday,,and with the holiday,,I didn`t expect anything until at least Monday.It was listed in the "In stock" area.

I got a Kadet Mark II kit from them a few weeks back in about a 1 week shipping time from order,,so I`m hoping so.

Rt4957
Old 11-29-2010, 04:53 AM
Bundubasher

The wheels are more for the "looks". It is hand launched as it have no rudders - no ground control. You can land it like a normal plane.

Cheers

Bundu
Old 11-29-2010, 09:03 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the Wonder and I think your "Stik" version is one of the best bashes I've ever seen!

I just might have to try that sometime
Old 11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Bundubasher

Jship,
I'veconverted a WONDERto electric once but it was not very successful as compared to keeping it IC.
I see your plane is already build.

Converting a 0.25 engine WONDER to electric:

1. TheWONDER is sturdy designand thus a little on the"strong" side. When converting it to electric, you need to cut lightening panels in the sides of the fuse, reduce wood from the wings and tail to reduce the wing loading so it can have a better glide ratio. If your plane is covered with woven textile (i.e. Oratex or Solartex, remove it and cover with a light plastic film.
When we make slope soarers of them, we are taking around 500 gram weight (engine, fuel tank etc) out, thus decreasing the wingloading significantly.

2. Need to cut ventilation slots upfront so cooling air can flow through the fuse and out the back. (for speed controller).

3. By removing the 0.25 engine, fuel tank, battery pack, throttle servo, one take out around 500 - 600 grams weight but this will be the weight of the electric motor, speed controller and lipo again. Weigh your plane with everything in at the moment. Calulate the motor size, ESC size and lipo size (probably 3 cell, >4000 mAh lipo). Go for max whatyou can fit into around 500 gram.The lipo will go in in place of the tank and extend through former #2 into underneath the wing. The exact location needs to be determined by shifting the battery forward/rearward until the cg is correct. As the WONDERin it present is not electric ready, you need to make the conversion as in points 1 and 2. If you just slap electrics in, it will fly, but not near as fast as the IC version and this may disapoint you.

4. The main problem with converting a WONDER to electric, even if you do all of the above, is that it have no wheels and you do belly landings. This can doshock damage to the lipo and you are bound to break electric propellors - unless you have tall grass to land in, you need to fit a landing wheel or a larger belly skid.

Unless SIGcomes up with an "electric " version on the kit, you will not get the full potential from the plane going electric - that is, it won't be as fast as the 25 engine version - if it is speed you are looking for. If your plane is already build and covered, It may actually be less problems building one from new again.

Bundu