Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Giant Scale P-51 Plans??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Giant Scale P-51 Plans??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:38 PM
2Brave
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale P-51 Plans??

I'm looking for a good challanging project this winter with a build of the North American P-51D. Where can I find the plans to have cut?

It doesn't have to be 100% scale but I would like something better than a Nosen, which I'm working on now. I would like to use an inline 120cc and the wingspan to be at least 110"

Also, I would like the wings to be in the fashioin of three piece, and have flaps.
What is the biggest scale that I can make without having to go custom on the landing gear??

I know there are lots of "ok" plans out there but I don't want just "ok".
Old 12-07-2010, 01:26 PM
LargeScale88

Default RE: Giant Scale P-51 Plans??

Don Smith from Precision Cut Kits has a 112" wingspan P-51D. Its very scale, I'm actually thinking of building one myself. I got the plans, and Laser Lizard can cut you a short kit for $220.00. I know someone who has a Quadra 100 and a 26x12 prop on theres at 50 pounds, flies very nice. The inline has had some problems with overheating in the past, because the P-51 cowl is somewhat small.

Another option is enlarging Ziroli or Dave Platt plans? Lots more work though.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 PM
LargeScale88

Sierra Giant scale has a 1/4 landing gear for the Don Smith, and also a very scale tailwheel. Precision cut kits has the cowl, canopy, and I'm thinking the plans have a 3 piece wing, but its not a hard mod to accomplish with some patience and design. Let us know what you do!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know there are lots of "ok" plans out there but I don't want just "ok".
I appologise because this reply hardly answers your request.

The plans you're looking for, are you striving for as much realism as possible in detail? Correct panel lines and rivet spacing, stuff like that?

I'm not farmiliar with most of the Warbird builders plans, but one would think particulars like that are derived from resources other than builder's plans?

I have a bunch of plans, and all, if not most of the plans, show none of what it takes to produce a great looking scale model.

My GM Plastics Corsair are great plans and have some good detail drawings, but have limitations for surface detail and all the other scale features that make for a more interesting and correct scale model.

Do any of the "name brand" Warbird scale plans come with features I just mentioned, or are they just builder's plans?

As for your P-51 model size. Who is it that offeres the "largest" set of scale landing gear manufactured for P-51's?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:43 PM
2Brave

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

Don Smith from Precision Cut Kits has a 112'' wingspan P-51D. Its very scale, I'm actually thinking of building one myself. I got the plans, and Laser Lizard can cut you a short kit for $220.00. I know someone who has a Quadra 100 and a 26x12 prop on theres at 50 pounds, flies very nice. The inline has had some problems with overheating in the past, because the P-51 cowl is somewhat small.

Another option is enlarging Ziroli or Dave Platt plans? Lots more work though.
LargeScale, thanks. Good info. Yes I've heard that the inlines do tend to run hotter due to baffling issues. Funny to discuss that with the engine reps. They don't say of any temp. problemes that occur with inlines..... go figure eh...lol. I've seen the three head inline on UTube and I love it!! May have to just stick with the 3w or try the ZDZ......
Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM
2Brave

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

I know there are lots of ''ok'' plans out there but I don't want just ''ok''.
I appologise because this reply hardly answers your request.

The plans you're looking for, are you striving for as much realism as possible in detail? Correct panel lines and rivet spacing, stuff like that?

I'm not farmiliar with most of the Warbird builders plans, but one would think particulars like that are derived from resources other than builder's plans?

I have a bunch of plans, and all, if not most of the plans, show none of what it takes to produce a great looking scale model.

My GM Plastics Corsair are great plans and have some good detail drawings, but have limitations for surface detail and all the other scale features that make for a more interesting and correct scale model.

Do any of the ''name brand'' Warbird scale plans come with features I just mentioned, or are they just builder's plans?

As for your P-51 model size. Who is it that offeres the ''largest'' set of scale landing gear manufactured for P-51's?
Yes, I would like a fair amount of detail but I'm not wanting this to be a show winner. I just want mostly the design to be close. If I fall in love with it, I can then focus on the detailes and spend the time.
I do like the gear systems with the doors. Don't care about a 100% detailed cockpit or sliding canopy.
Talked to Sierra Retracts and he said that the Comp Arf would be a good easy way to get a very scale bird fast. The CARF is really sexy but just a bit too small.
I heard that the 3w is a good size but most of the builders with that kit dread some of the things that are required with the build.
I'm thinking that the Don Smith is going to be the kit for me. Now I just need to get the plans and a good cutter. I'll start with the cutters that you have mentioned.
Anymore links or list of everything that I'm going to need and who carries them? I know this is going to be a labor of love so I want to do it right.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:20 PM
2Brave

looks like Kit cutters is stopped accepting orders to catch up..... darn, I'm late for everything.....
Old 12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Goran619
My Feedback: (2)

try www.precisioncutkits.com/instock.htmlI read somewhere that kit cutters may be going out of business but I'm not sure.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 PM
2Brave

Found a site that you guys may already know about but it's pretty useful. http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...I=TC&FM=0&OB=1