Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Uravitch T-28 Trojan?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Uravitch T-28 Trojan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 PM
joe_crash
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uravitch T-28 Trojan?

I was wondering if anyone had seen or built Rich Uravitch's T-28 Trojan - the short kt is sold by Hobby Hanger, and Rch sells the plans and plastic. Any feedback on the Hobby Hanger's Laser cut kits
would be appreciated too - the OV-10 looks great and Hobby Hanger sells it as a complete kit. I am torn between the two - the T-28 looks awesome, but the Bronco with it's twin engines and booms, is really eye catching too. Doe's anyone know if their kits are now the self jigging type?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:51 PM
oldtyme

Default RE: Uravitch T-28 Trojan?

Hi,

I ordered the laser cut kit from Hobby Hanger and was disappointed. Most of the plywood parts were really warped and were hard to work with. The plastic parts are good though. I started the build and was having too much trouble so I burned it and now I'm going to cut my own parts from FLAT plywood that I buy myself.

cheers,
Andy
Old 12-10-2010, 06:14 PM
joe_crash

Thanks for the warning! I haven't decided which one (between the T-28 and the Bronco OV-10) I am going to go with. So now Ihave 2 decisions, which one to build and where to get it from. though Idid order the plans from the Air Age store last night after reading a build thread on rcgroupsabout it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good kit or short kit?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:11 AM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

I ordered the small Bronco kit from HH three years ago. Other than taking a bit longer to ship than seemed normal, it was a good kit. Reasonable balsa and ply parts, all of the ABS parts, formed wire gear, and the Bronco went together fairly quickly. The included construction guide is not overly detailed, so I wouldn't build it as a first or second kit. If you've got some building experience, it produces a nice airplane. It's a good idea to expand the wing span by one rib bay on each side. There's also a Bronco shortkit available from Keith Sparks.

I can't comment on the T28, and don't know where you'd find a different short kit than HH. If you're set on a Trojan, there's a really good looking electric ARF available from Nitroplanes for $99. (Yes, I know it's from Nitroplanes, but I've ordered 7 of their planes with no problems).
Old 12-13-2010, 07:21 PM
joe_crash

Well, that sounds like good news - maybe the fellow's poor ply was a isolated incident. I am just finishing my first kit of the winter - from Stevens Aeromodel - the wood is excellent, order time is very fast, and every piece with together perfectly. It is easily the best kit I have ever build from. I downloaded several of their instructions/manuals for a few of their other models, and they all look just as good as the one Ijust build. If I wasn't stuck on building a warbird, I'd have ordered another from them.

Ihave checked out the Gold Edition P-51 and Spitfire from the Tower catalog - I believe they are manufactured by TopFlight kits - any 1st hand knowledge out there on them?(One big incentive to buy from them (for me at least) is their 3 pay option - spread the payment out over 3 months.)

Thank you everybody for your responses!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 AM
FallDownGoBoom

I've built 1.5 of the TF kits... 100% of a Beech Bonanza and the last 50% of a P-51 that a guy didn't want to finish. Both came out well. The wood in the kits isn't contest balsa, but's it's not rock-hard heavy stuff either. TF had done a good job of engineering the kits and smoothing out the construction process. The biggest advantage of the TF kits, to me, is that the instructions are fairly complete. They assume some level of building experience, but they do a good job on the basic construction. If you're going to add things like retracts and operating gear doors, there you're kind of on your own. With any of the TF kits, you come out with a nice sport-scale ship. There are also multiple build threads on RCU that will help you through any of the rough spots.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 PM
at6fan
My Feedback: (13)

I scratch built a Trojan from Rich's plans. OS 40 Four Stroke for power with mini retracts from Spring Air. Flies like a dream!! Lots of dihedral in the wing and tricycle gear to boot. Easy to land, although tricycle gear is nowhere near as forgiving as a tail dragger is. Build this plane you won't be disappointed in the way it flies.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:08 AM
kmorselander

I just got plans, plastic, and laser cut parts...all look good.  My problem is that this is only my second build.  Does anyone have an instruction guide for Uravitch kit? Heard there was a M.A.N. article but cannot find on their website.  Happy Holidays and thanks for any help.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 PM
FallDownGoBoom

PM me with a snail mail address and I'll send you a copy of the construction sequence from the HH kit.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fred,

Do you still have the article? I just picked one up and could use it.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have built a couple of his planes from plans and found them to be very heavy for there size. I'm just wondering how the cut kits come out weight wise. I'm not a big stinker about weight but they really were heavy. Just wondering.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 AM
FallDownGoBoom

Dave:

When I replyed to Ken we got models confused: I had a set of OV10 Bronco instructions; he was looking for something dealing with the Trojan. I think he found a copy of a magazine article that featured the T28. Ken might be able to help you out, unless you're looking for a construction guide for the OV10. In that case, I've got one.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 PM
kmorselander

Hey, Dave.  The article on building the T-28 was in the Feb. 2006 Model Airplane News...it helped me a lot..  Just go to their website and download PDF.  If you don't want to join, call them and they will send you a copy.  
Gray Beard,   I'm not done with kit yet so I don't have finished weight.  Mine will be heavier because I added electric retracts but I also 32 brushless motor and 60 amp esc in it.  Test fly in another month...will let you know about weight, then.
Best
Ken
Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rich builds planes that fly well....I'm thinking of picking up his T-28 also...