Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Paint for monokote/ultracote

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Paint for monokote/ultracote

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Paint for monokote/ultracote

Building a tf spitfire and covering it in film. Would like to use ultracote if I can find the right color grey, question is what is the best paint to use(olive drab). Lusterkote is out of the question since it's no longer made, and I remember the older stuff being horrible.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:42 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Paint for monokote/ultracote

I know that Aero-Works have their models covered in Ultracote. They also have beautifully matching painted components. You might get lucky with a call to them.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:23 PM
davidgeorge212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LustreKote is still being made. My local hobby shop still stocks it and you can buy it online. They have narrowed the color selection down to not very many though.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hey dave do you have a web page or maybe if you know if they have olive drab i could pay you to ship a can or two to me thanks rye
Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 PM
davidgeorge212

Thats the downfall of it, they do not make olive drab paint so you wouldnt be able to find it (made by lustrekote) anywhere. Here is the monokote website with the list of paints they make. Its very limited in selection with only red, yellow, cub yellow, white, black, insignia blue and clear.

http://www.monokote.com/lustrekote/lustrekote.html
Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

thanks ,rye
Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.warbirdcolors.com/raf_home.asp

just carefully scuff sand / steel wool 000 your monocoat, ultracoat, and paint with this latex based paint. it comes with a fuel proofing catalyst to protect against glow fuel. Look at my models, the Thunderbolt. Nice colors, and they cover well, last very well.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: bingo field

http://www.warbirdcolors.com/raf_home.asp

just carefully scuff sand / steel wool 000 your monocoat, ultracoat, and paint with this latex based paint. it comes with a fuel proofing catalyst to protect against glow fuel. Look at my models, the Thunderbolt. Nice colors, and they cover well, last very well.
Excellent! Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for
Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 AM
hafidy

Hi Bingo Field. Thanks for the great advice, also, you have an Excellent photo gallery on your site.

Question - I am finishing a GP p-51D, and I'd like to paint portions of the engine cowl in a black/yellow checkered pattern with off-brand spray paint that I picked up from Lowes. To ensure that the paint is fuel proof, I am planning to put a coat of Lustrecoat clear coat over it. I didn't want to purchase additional cans of Lustrecoat because they are too expensive, so I went with a couple of cans of off brand spray paint. The question is, will this method produce good results and be as durable as using Lustrecoat, or should I not try it and go buy another can of Lustrecoat. While I am concerned about the cost, I don't want to cut corners on the paint scheme.

Thanks,

hafidy
Old 01-14-2011, 06:26 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the 'show your stuff' forum on RCScalebuilder.com and look at the SIG Skybolt thread there. The method to paint Monokote is outlined there in great detail. You can 'lurk' for free but you have to create an account to do so. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Crash-RCU

I have used Lustercote over spraycan paint, you just have to mist and I do mean mist, as in as lightly as you can and let dry between coats on the first few coats to keep the base paint from crinkling.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't paint plastic film coverings! It is going to come off in sheets. What do you do when the covering loosens up and has to be retightened?

If you HAVE to use iron on plastic film, try using laminating film that is applied with a low temperature. It is a boatload cheaper than the hobby coverings and it can also be bought with a matt finish, saving you all of the effort of scuffing up the finish.

It can be bought in several different thicknesses too and it holds up as well to fuel as the moneykote coverings that we are all familiar with. A huge roll of this stuff is ridiculously cheap. I know a fellow that built a lot of models. He was/is an engineer and he prototyped a lot of his designs as cheaply as possible, hence his discovery of using this film as covering. I wish I could remember his name - damn it! Anyway, he was looking for a covering that would last a dozen flights or less. He didn't care about longevity. He said he was surprised that the laminating film held up at least as well as the monkeykote coverings. If you can look up the old newsgroup rec.models.rc.air, and then search for laminating film, I'm sure that you will find enough written testimony by Brian (last name eludes me, but it was Italian sounding) to convince you to at least give it a try. Good luck.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-15-2011, 06:48 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Ed,
Is this what you are talking about? It says it is thermal - available in 1.5 or 3 mil cheap. http://www.laminationdepot.com/Schoo.../products/104/

They have some 27" X 250 foot matte finish rolls. You need to buy 2 rolls @ 58.89 each roll or 117.78. That's the equivalent of 83 6' rolls of Monokote! I want to try some but not at $120 for a trial use. http://www.laminationdepot.com/PRO-3...nfo/40-272-1C/

Course looking at $1.44 each for an equivalent to monokote looks pretty good.
John
Old 01-15-2011, 01:38 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: JNorton

Ed,
Is this what you are talking about? It says it is thermal - available in 1.5 or 3 mil cheap. http://www.laminationdepot.com/Schoo.../products/104/

They have some 27'' X 250 foot matte finish rolls. You need to buy 2 rolls @ 58.89 each roll or 117.78. That's the equivalent of 83 6' rolls of Monokote! I want to try some but not at $120 for a trial use. http://www.laminationdepot.com/PRO-3...nfo/40-272-1C/

Course looking at $1.44 each for an equivalent to monokote looks pretty good.
John

Yes.

I have never done it, but Brian and his friends, plus regulars on rec.models.rc.air raved about laminating film's performance. Most didn't even paint it at all. It survived just fine without a finish!!!

Ed Cregger
Old 01-15-2011, 02:32 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Ed. Now to try and find some samples about 6' long.
John