Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 Looking for decals for a Goldberg 25th Anniversary Cub >

Looking for decals for a Goldberg 25th Anniversary Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Looking for decals for a Goldberg 25th Anniversary Cub

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for decals for a Goldberg 25th Anniversary Cub

A friend of mine who used to fly Piper Cubs in the 40's and 50's is now building a Goldberg 25th Anniversary Edition Cub that I donated to him (he's kinda frail and needed a project to keep his mind and hands busy...I call it model therapy!). Anyway, as the project has progressed, it seemed appropriate to deck out the Cub in the registration numbers of the plane he actually flew the most back in the day (which still exists, by the way, and is regularly flown and well-maintained by its current owner). I know there are people who cut custom decals for such projects, and I'd appreciate any advice the forum may have on where to get an NC registration number cut for both the top right and bottom left wing of this kit. We're also going to need two smaller versions of the registration number for the rudder (his plane had the "NC" reading horizontally and the numbers reading vertically below the "NC"). Finally, we think we can make a template for the "lightning stripes" on the fuselage sides and cut our own, but in case we get frustrated, it would be nice to have the option to have a pro do that too.

I think the model itself is approximately 1/6 scale, and the planes of that day had pretty big registration numbers on the wings, although I have no idea what that will scale down to in this case. Any advice there would be appreciated too. I should probably add that Ralph built the plane as a clipped wing, even though the full scale plane was a standard Cub...we're calling it "artistic license").

Further details on the kit...we're putting an OS FS-70 in the nose, with Futaba S3010's all throughout and a Spektrum DX-6 to keep it moving in the right direction.

I know this has always been a popular kit, so I suspect there are plenty of you who have experience with it.

More background: Ralph is 81 years old, going blind, has Parkinson's, and needs a walker or a wheelchair to get around, but his mind is sharp as a tack, and he's got clear memories of every flight he ever took when he was younger and stronger. The plane he's building is better than anything I, with my body and eyesight intact, could ever accomplish, and it's been an honor to help him achieve this goal (I tell him I'm his personal supply depot...whatever he needs to finish the next part of the project is made to appear as necessary!...I've tried to do some of the tougher tasks along the way, but he always ends up saying he has a "secret method" that's better than my way....and it almost always IS better!).

Anyway, thanks for any input you guys can offer. I'm a less-frequent visitor to the forums than I used to be, but RCU remains my favorite source for knowledge about all things R/C, and I really appreciate the brain trust that exists here!

Best to all...

David
Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Looking for decals for a Goldberg 25th Anniversary Cub

I'm just finishing up the same kit, it's still made and sold through Tower, you can call them and order the decals. If you just need to see what the sheet contains I can post a photo for you. Last Cub I built I just made up my own numbers cut from Mono.
Gene
Old 01-28-2011, 03:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ant vinyl cutter can do what you need, such as a local sign shop.

Finding a cutter that specializes in models, may be more frugal, however.

Calle Graphics is a vendor that appears frequently in thhhhis type of thread. http://www.callie-graphics.com/
Old 01-28-2011, 06:02 AM

Try a local sign shop. Most all of them now can cut any style & any size numbers & other good stuff. Good Luck !!!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of decals for this Cub. If you want them then PM me. I'd be happy to give them to you.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heads up, Tower even has replacement parts for this kit. The fellow I'm building it for had the kit for a while and a lot of parts were used for a repair of another kit. I was able to make the wooden parts and even the windows except for the front one, he just ordered the window set. Decals, plans and instructions are also available. If too many replacement parts are required it is cheaper to just buy the kit though. He even bought a really cool cowl and one piece LG from Fiberglass Specialties for this plane. Float kits are also easy to come by.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the responses...I should have been more specific, now that I think about it, by saying that I was hoping to replicate the exact registration number of the Cub Ralph flew. We have the original decal kit, and will use what we can from that. Thanks Tom, especially for the link. I'll check it out!