Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

top flite p-47

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

top flite p-47

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 12:14 AM
moe-D-lawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top flite p-47

about to start building the "small" p-47 gold edition. If anyone has built this kit or has any comments that would help me, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure I will need help from time to time.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:06 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Default top flite p-47

I've built the 60 size 'Bolt, some years ago, but it's still flying and going strong! You'll love this plane. Build it light, don't go crazy with the epoxy or a heavy covering. Build it to the directions and you'll end up with a light but solid plane that flies wonderfully. Mine turned out to weigh 7 1/2 lbs with retracts and flaps. I covered it in Ultracoat I may build another one this winter, all depends on what new designs TF releases.

Mark
Old 08-08-2003, 04:10 PM
kram51

Default top flite p-47

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I powered the plane with a Super Tiger 75. Perfect engine for the T'bolt. And, last thing, use the dummy radial with a baffle!

That's all I can think of for now!

Mark
Old 08-08-2003, 05:28 PM
moe-D-lawn

Default top flite p-47

Kram, thanks for the advise. I'm just starting to wrap up the rear fin.What's your opinion on the retracts, stick with the robart or do you think I should try another brand,type etc.. I know that's still a way down the road But trying to finish collecting all the things I need. I have been reading about the tiger 75. and think that is the way i'm going to go. Thanks again
Old 08-08-2003, 08:23 PM
kram51

Default top flite p-47

The Robarts I installed are still working flawlessly after 5 years. I'm sure the Century Jets work well, and are a bit cheaper, but I've had success with the Robarts to this point.

Mark
Old 08-09-2003, 02:43 AM
rdcracer
My Feedback: (2)

Default p-47

Moe-D Lawn
I am almost finished with the fuse and about to start on the wing. I went with Robarts and Robostruts. I also have a ST 90 I'm going to use. Let me know if you have any questions
Old 08-10-2003, 11:58 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default top flite p-47

Kram51,
With the "light" 2-stroke up front, how much ballast did you have to add to balance? I'm planning on putting a Saito 1.20 in mine as I was told it takes a lot of weight in the nose.

FP
Old 08-10-2003, 02:20 PM
rdcracer

Default top flite p-47

I haven't gotten there yet but the 90 came out of the T/F Hollywood Zero. It flew that plane with authority and it had alot of extra detail. I had to add quite a bit of eight to the nose to get it to balance. Once I did it flew great. I am planning on glassing this one with 1/2 oz cloth using polyurethane instead of resin. I'm going with the bigger engine to balance out the extra weight.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:42 PM
kram51

Default top flite p-47

Believe it or not I only added a Higley heavy hub to balance the plane! Moving as much as you can forward is the trick (battery, servos, air tank, etc). I'm not a big believer in weighing down such a small plane. I've seen so many guys show up with a TF 60 size bird that's been glassed and painted with all the bells and whistles. If the plane survives it's first flight they complain that it's a bear to fly. OF COURSE IT IS, at the 12 lbs and up that some of them weigh! To each his own but I personally would rather fly and enjoy the plane than sweat bullets every time it's in the air. These planes, if built as intended, can look the part without overbuilding and overweight and the resulting bad flight characteristics. I'll post a recent picture of mine and you be the judge.

Mark
Old 08-10-2003, 04:53 PM
kram51

Default Take a Look . . .

5 years old and still going strong!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100657_7161.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	56915  
Old 08-10-2003, 04:54 PM
kram51

Default One more . . .

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100659_7161.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	56916  
Old 08-10-2003, 08:54 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Default top flite p-47

Kram51,
Beautiful job!! I was planning on doing the razor-back version, but your bubble canopy version is sweet! Good inspiration for me to get going on mine. I love the looks of the flaps down. Thanks for the pics. I'm planning on putting Monokote w/ some panel lines. I'm not sure if I should use the panel line pen or use very thin stripes of Monokote cut on my striping cutter.

FP
Old 08-14-2003, 01:43 PM
BenWillis

Default P-$&

I am in the process of building a TF P-47 60 size. Bout to join the wings and finish the fuse. I'm switching between it and a BT hellcat so its going a bit slower than normal.

You can see pics here: http://www.andersoncountysc.org/MIS/...ild/index.html

Ben in SC
Old 08-14-2003, 11:28 PM
moe-D-lawn

Default top flite p-47

ben, the plane is coming along nicely. Have you decided on the motor and retracs? I just finished the rear stabilizer, and at some point need to decide on my motor and retracs. I think I'm gonna go with the super tigre .75. I've heard go with the o.s. blah,blah,blah.. who know's which is better !!
Old 08-14-2003, 11:40 PM
moe-D-lawn

Default top flite p-47

OH YEAh I mentioned to the guy at the hobby store that someone told me that the O.S...90 would over heat if I decided to put it in the plane, and the reason for that is they don't make a exhaust for the .90 so you have to use the muffler from the .61 which in turn makes it overheat. He also told me I HAD to get an O.S. because super tigre went out of business and i would never find one. ( Tower seems to think different).I dunno i'm new to this whole thing
Old 08-15-2003, 12:17 AM
BenWillis

Default top flite p-47

Moe,

I have decided to go gas on my P-47, specifically the RCS140 engine from RCShowcase.

As for retracts that is still undecided. I have a set of Spring Airs sitting around ad well as a seto of CJ's just need an air system.

Ben
Old 08-15-2003, 12:36 AM
moe-D-lawn

Default top flite p-47

HMMMM. kinda planned on staying under $$ 200. just read the review for it, seems like a good motor.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:40 PM
kram51

Default top flite p-47

Super Tiger is not out of business. The factory was sold and moved to China so there hasn't been any new motors for a while. They have started releasing motors again though. I've one myself, from the Chinese factory. The motors are exactly the same as the tooling and everything was sold and is being used now.

It is true that the 60 size TF header will cause the 90 to overheat, and that's to be expected. You can check into Slimline for a better solution.

Mark
Old 08-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Edwin

Default top flite p-47

I use a ST90 in a TF corsair with the SlimLine Large Volumn pitts muffler. Works fine, no overheating problems. Make sure you put the baffle in the opening of the cowl. It WILL overheat if you dont.
Edwin
Old 10-22-2004, 09:46 AM
randy1985

Default RE: top flite p-47

I have the 1/7 scale P-47 almost completed. I am going to try to test run the supertiger .75 today. Is a 13x6 the right prop size? I have the TF in-cowl muffler and the baffle. I covered mine in ultracote and have robart retracts and flaps. The plane seems a little on the heavy side, but will the supertiger .75 fly it at scale speed? With everything on it it comes out around 9.5-10.0 lbs. How well does it fly?

Randy
Old 12-16-2004, 04:15 PM
rcuman

I am also building a P-47 with a Supertigre .75 with robart retracts. I did not buy the TF in cowl muffler due to the header not being available. I instead bought the slimline sportscale muffler. I am going to mount the engine vertically with the engine head and muffler end pointed toward the bottom so the top and sides of the cowl are not cut into. My question is do I have to do something special while mounting the engine this way or do i just keep the engine centered with the 4 indentions in the firewall and mount it vertically?
Old 12-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Donnie7

Default RE: Take a Look . . .

Mark that is a nice jug. how does it fly amd what kit is it?
Donnie
Old 12-17-2004, 08:55 PM
powertoys

Default RE: One more . . .

Hey Mark,

I have a question about the trailing edge of the wing where the flaps connect. With the extra balsa pieces and parts of the ribs still poking through, how did you seal that area? Do you fill it all in and sand back to the curve of the rib ends, or just seal it and paint it, because covering will not iron in there without looking like crap. The directions don't tell me how to finish this area, and it is the first flap equipped plane I've built. Thanks.

Mike
Old 12-18-2004, 10:11 PM
kram51

Default RE: Take a Look . . .

Donnie-

Its the Top Flite 1/7 scale T-Bolt and it flies terrific!

Mike-

Yes the trailing edge of the wing at the flaps is concave to match the LE of the flaps. Its not as hard as you think to seal this area with iron on covering. I used the TF trim iron with the round shoe and after heating the material and pressing it into the wood I immediately followed that with a damp rag to help pull the heat out and set the glue. Works like a charm!

Mark
Old 12-18-2004, 11:41 PM
tailwheel

I have to agree with Kram, I'm still flying a TF P47 pregold edition with a K&B 61 flaps and rhom air retracts, covered in monicote. I did not have to add any weight for balance. It's a great flyer, landing with or without flaps is a breeze. I've started to build a gold edition in the bubble verson and plan to keep it light. Just my two cents worth. Peter.
ORIGINAL: kram51

Believe it or not I only added a Higley heavy hub to balance the plane! Moving as much as you can forward is the trick (battery, servos, air tank, etc). I'm not a big believer in weighing down such a small plane. I've seen so many guys show up with a TF 60 size bird that's been glassed and painted with all the bells and whistles. If the plane survives it's first flight they complain that it's a bear to fly. OF COURSE IT IS, at the 12 lbs and up that some of them weigh! To each his own but I personally would rather fly and enjoy the plane than sweat bullets every time it's in the air. These planes, if built as intended, can look the part without overbuilding and overweight and the resulting bad flight characteristics. I'll post a recent picture of mine and you be the judge.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.