Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 Comparison of different coverings needed >

Comparison of different coverings needed

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Comparison of different coverings needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Comparison of different coverings needed

I'm getting ready to recover a 1/4 scale Sukhoi Su31 after some repairs. Going through my box of coverings, a lot of which were from retired modelers, I find myself wondering what I should use. I'm quite familiar with both Monokote and Ultrakote, but the Coverlite Black Baron, Balsa USA's Aero Span and Hobby Lobby Superkote leave me scratching my head. There are a number of partial rolls that look a lot like the Aero Span and Black Baron when comparing the backing and clear edge.

By questions are durability, it's a quarter scale, and compatibility. I'll probably use a some Ultracote and Monokote for the color scheme I'm thinking of. Any issues with my unfamiliar coverings? Can any of them use the windex method for trim besides the Monokote?

Don
Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Comparison of different coverings needed

Campgems,

The one time I used Coverite Black Baron Film I absolutely loved it..  I used it on the last plane I have ever built, and that was in the mid 80's..  I was able to go around compound curves with ease, and no wrinkles, shrinks well, and when I crashed the plane, it didn't shatter at all, and I had a nice little Baggy to carry the splintered balsa that used to make up the wing structure..  I have only purchased pre owned planes since..  although I have a couple of airframes that I would not hesitate to try it on again..   

If you don't want to try the BBF, Let me know, and I'll pay for the shipping from you to me!!   

Have a good one,

Craig.  <br type="_moz"/>
Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Comparison of different coverings needed

Craig, after the progress on covering, actually lack off, I'm going to protect the Black Barron with my life. I chose a funky covering pattern and I had some Neon Green Monokote I thought Iwould try. It was the base color and was going to have some other colors for trim. That was the worst junk I've run into. I caped the aileron LE and ends and the wing cut outs for the ailerons. I was seeing color wash out where I got it a little too hot with the trim iron. Today, I started putting down the base, the Neon Green and what a mess. I tacked it down all around the edge and then sealed the edges down, not a wrinkle. Then I started to shrink it. It wouldn't shrink at all. The color bleed through was even worse with the heat gun. After and hour working on just one panel, I pulled all of it off and I'm going to stick with just the normal colors. I've used the Neon Pink before and it was just fine. That was about six years back. This stuff is absolute junk.

Don