Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:00 PM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

I made my pylons, not to much work and they look correct. I started to make them functional but thought I had enough going on with this plane. Here is a pic or two to show what I did. Hope it helps.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58187.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1828313   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45036.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1828314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87849.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1828315  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM
flyme2moon
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the pylons,  and super engineering in their execution ,  but I would like to see more regarding the hinges on the flaps ...... oh I almost forgot,  the the metal work is brilliant
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM
RWHorton

Flaps are stock, However you can buy aftermarket flap hinges that work like the full scale plane. I did however try to make the ailerons, rudder and elevator like the full scale plane. Wasn't to hard but did add some construction time. My rudder is a pull/pull style with the servo in the tail, theelevators have carbon fiber push/pull rods on them. I moved the servos so they are behind the cockpit, I needed a little more room up front.

Ron

Name:	Pn35679.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1828537  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM
RWHorton

On the ailerons and tail you can use a strip of 1/64 ply to extend the sheeting to make it look better. Sorry I don't have a picture of when I made mine. But I think there is some pics on Peter Oz's thread, just do a search there.

Ron
Old 12-10-2012, 12:03 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Beffing up is done for now, I pretty much added TS to all the structure that I could, it sure is beefy..[img][/img]

Not sure if i am alone on this, but I like to mock up the plane as I go, just for the motivational push..lol

Ron's pics has me thinking about the exhaust and how i will go about the task.. The motor I am using doesn't have a wrap around out for it, so it will be a total custom exhaust. The dealer I am going with just so happens to specialize in canisters...[img][/img][img][/img] so I am hoping he can help me is this department..[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Where did you get the template for the fin/horizontal/fuselage fill-in. They say to use the template on the plans but I cannot find it. I've almost got the top of the fuselage done including having the horizontal and vertical stabs mounted so I either need the template or I'll have to wing it.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 PM
oldtyme

OK............the book on the Top Flite Giant Scale P47 specifies that the scale is 1:5.6 so is this a 1/5 scaleor 1/6 scale. I'm trying to figure out the scale of the pilot figure that I need. Also, where do you guys get full body pilot figures in this scale.....nothing that breaks the bank please.
Thanks,
Andy
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 AM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to eBay and get yourself a 12" gijoe.
Search for pilot.
You can get one around $15-20.

Fabio
Old 12-11-2012, 04:53 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Andy,

It's 1/6 scale. As Fabio mentioned, a 1/6 scale pilot at 12" will do the trick. I have been searching for the perfect GI Joe pilot figure as well.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:29 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I'm using the 1/4 scale WW2 for my L4 from Vailly Aviation. They have a variety of scales. You have to paint them.
http://www.vaillyaviation.com/Intro.html
Edwin
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 AM
RWHorton

This is a blue box WWII figure, Cost me about $50.00 5 or 6 years ago. He's 12" tall and comes with everything a WWII pilot had. The only draw back is he needs to go on a diet.

Ron

Name:	Rp42333.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1828849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36109.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1828850  
Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 PM
oldtyme

Ok found the pilot.......or at least one that will do. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...8&I=LXKLE6&P=K

Now another question.........what kind of zinc chromate paint would you use for the cockpit. Will the Testor's Model Master paints work? Are they fuel proof? Also, what kind of paint would you use for the wheel wells and gear doors in that same color. Heck this is my first plane in a long time to paint so running a gas engine, what kind of paint do I use.......and yes, I glassing the plane.

thanks in advance for help,
Andy
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Doomking

For that price you can buy a gijoe on eBay fully clothed with flight gear and all and no painting or assembly required.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 AM
RWHorton

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

Ok found the pilot.......or at least one that will do. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...8&I=LXKLE6&P=K

Now another question.........what kind of zinc chromate paint would you use for the cockpit. Will the Testor's Model Master paints work? Are they fuel proof? Also, what kind of paint would you use for the wheel wells and gear doors in that same color. Heck this is my first plane in a long time to paint so running a gas engine, what kind of paint do I use.......and yes, I glassing the plane.

thanks in advance for help,
Andy

With a gas engne you don't have to be fuel proof, I am using the Model Master paint on mine, cockpit and wheel well and engine compartment. With the gas engine and the reduced engine oil most gas planes don't get near as oily as a glow plane.

Ron
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM
thebeave

I may have a problem with my wing. I recently joined both halves, and after the dust settled and the glue dried...... i've got about 3/8" too much dihedral. It works out to about 3/16" on each wing if it's sitting level . I checked both sides at the root with the provided gauge and everything was spot on. Now after gluing everything together i find that i have to much dihedral . Do you guys think i should worry or do you think it will be ok.. Im kinda worried it will give me fits trying to mount the wing to the fuse. Not to mention trying to build the wing fillets.. Someone talk me down.. as i am typing this from the roof of my house.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Doomking

Lol that's funny
Anyway.
I had similar problem with my build.
I follow the instruction to the t and I had one side higher that the other when I joined the wing to the fuse.
I sanded down one side of the saddle until it was even.
For your imperfection I wouldn't worry too much about it.
All rc planes fly very well with some degree of imperfection.
I had a p-47 few years back which I needed to add some aileron trow just to make it fly straight.
It was an ARF and it flew great that way up until I sold it.
The wing fillet instructions do a good job walking you through the build to compensate for such early build inaccuracies.
I would proceed with confidence toward your next building step.

Just my opinion.

Fabio
Old 12-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah, I wouldnt worry about it. A little tweeking on the wing saddle and you should be good. The incidences are where you need to get it right.
Edwin
Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: thebeave

I may have a problem with my wing. I recently joined both halves, and after the dust settled and the glue dried...... i've got about 3/8" too much dihedral. It works out to about 3/16" on each wing if it's sitting level . I checked both sides at the root with the provided gauge and everything was spot on. Now after gluing everything together i find that i have to much dihedral . Do you guys think i should worry or do you think it will be ok.. Im kinda worried it will give me fits trying to mount the wing to the fuse. Not to mention trying to build the wing fillets.. Someone talk me down.. as i am typing this from the roof of my house.
If that 3/16" on each wing is at the wing tip you have no problem at all.

Dihedral provides lateral stability. A bit more will not be noticeable while you fly.
You would never know the difference.

Enjoy your flying,

Zor

Old 12-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Yeah, I wouldnt worry about it. A little tweeking on the wing saddle and you should be good. The incidences are where you need to get it right.
Edwin
Right on with that Edwin............

I wouldn't worry none with the extra 3/8" of dihedral, like you said it works out to 3/16 at the tips when level.. If you take 3/16 at the tips it's about 1/32 if that at the fuse, Idoubt you will have any problems mounting the wing, just the normal tweaking here and there.... So come back down off the roof and keep on plugging along........

Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 PM
thebeave

Well i finally talked the wife into bringing the ladder back, so i could get down. Im in the house now and thanks for the positive re-enforcement from you all. Yeah, it's at the tips... and my fear was that i might be flying a p47 with a wing shaped like a "V". After an hour of watching DR.Phil and a little closer examination.... I am thinking that you guys are probably right. I've been on a bit of an emotional roller coaster with my build, as it is my first of this type. I went from being overly picky, to trying to be satisfied with..." as good as i could make things fit." Sorry to have jumped off the deep end on this one guys. Because the more i look at it...... the better i feel about it. THANKS.... the beave,
Old 12-14-2012, 10:59 PM
RWHorton

Well i finally talked the wife into bringing the ladder back, so i could get down. Im in the house now and thanks for the positive re-enforcement from you all. Yeah, it's at the tips... and my fear was that i might be flying a p47 with a wing shaped like a ''V''. After an hour of watching DR.Phil and a little closer examination.... I am thinking that you guys are probably right. I've been on a bit of an emotional roller coaster with my build, as it is my first of this type. I went from being overly picky, to trying to be satisfied with...'' as good as i could make things fit.'' Sorry to have jumped off the deep end on this one guys. Because the more i look at it...... the better i feel about it. THANKS.... the beave,
If I remember right US fighter had about 5 degrees of dihedral. I wouldn't worrie if the wing has a bit more, only you will know it and it will fly just fine.

Ron
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Someone talk me down.. as i am typing this from the roof of my house.
Hope you feel a little better after everyone's opinion, as they said, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Ron, I liked the way you have your sliding canopy set up, it's pretty sharp looking. I wanted to try and imitate it even though I wont be having a canopy that slides open. I've been piddling around with it today and this is what I came up with. Everything is made from bass wood minus the square brass for the rails. I was having a hard time finding decent photos on the internet, so I just winged it as best I could from what I could find.
I guess it looks better than most ARF's anyway.

Name:	Eb87088.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1830392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73410.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1830393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36911.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1830394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42066.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1830395  
Old 12-15-2012, 07:05 PM
RWHorton

Looks pretty good. I spent about a year and four or five prototypes befor I got it to work right.

Ron
Old 12-17-2012, 10:11 AM
oldtyme

Hi All..........I am really in need of some help!!! I'm ready to sheet the razorback and am having difficulty with the configuration at where the rear-most spine meets the fin. Per the instructions I have glued in that spine and it hits the fin somewhere above the last former (F9). This means that the razorback is concave all the way to the fin, and it looks that way on the plans but in some pictures I have observed that the fuse is slightly round there like on the bubble top. Is the kit correct? If not that would mean that you would have to go from concave to convex at the last minute there. Also, how are you holding the concave areas of sheeting to the formers? Lots of questions but I don't want to mess up here. I have planned this build my entire life and not that I am retired and doing it I am experiencing these difficult questions (difficult for me). I have built lots of sport planes but this is my first giant and first scale so I would appreciate answers and if possible picutures before I continue. I will be sheeting the forward part of the fuse today.
Thanks in advance,
Andy
Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 PM
RWHorton

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

Hi All..........I am really in need of some help!!! I'm ready to sheet the razorback and am having difficulty with the configuration at where the rear-most spine meets the fin. Per the instructions I have glued in that spine and it hits the fin somewhere above the last former (F9). This means that the razorback is concave all the way to the fin, and it looks that way on the plans but in some pictures I have observed that the fuse is slightly round there like on the bubble top. Is the kit correct? If not that would mean that you would have to go from concave to convex at the last minute there. Also, how are you holding the concave areas of sheeting to the formers? Lots of questions but I don't want to mess up here. I have planned this build my entire life and not that I am retired and doing it I am experiencing these difficult questions (difficult for me). I have built lots of sport planes but this is my first giant and first scale so I would appreciate answers and if possible picutures before I continue. I will be sheeting the forward part of the fuse today.
Thanks in advance,
Andy
I do believe that mine is the what you are discribing. I built it per the plans, I think it look ok.

Ron

Name:	Rp42109.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1831220  
Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 PM
oldtyme

RW.......maybe close and I think mine will look like that....can you tell me, where on the plans you found the "stab/fin fillet pattern" that them mention on page 20 of the instruction manual and that they show on the lower right picture on that page? Also, how did you hold the concave sections of the razorback sheeting to the formers while they were drying? I'm using Titebond and when you get the first side done, the second side is not accessable so what are the tricks to this part of the sheeting.

Thanks again,
Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.