Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

Looking good Fabio! Hope we get to see it in primer soon.

Hey Gary, I was watching this video, and noticed you commented on it, Do you run the fuel pump and the rest of the "recommended accessories" on the Moki in your Corsair? Do you think that is what was causing this one to loose power (not running a fuel pump), just curious. Shame to see something like this to go down because of an issue with the motor. Oh, and what appears to be a downwind landing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQJ3TzSZkpo[/youtube]
Does anyone know what this Corsair was covered with ?

Zor
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

Looking good Fabio! Hope we get to see it in primer soon.

Hey Gary, I was watching this video, and noticed you commented on it, Do you run the fuel pump and the rest of the ''recommended accessories'' on the Moki in your Corsair? Do you think that is what was causing this one to loose power (not running a fuel pump), just curious. Shame to see something like this to go down because of an issue with the motor. Oh, and what appears to be a downwind landing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQJ3TzSZkpo[/youtube]

Zor
This is the CARF composite Corsair with a Moki 250, and the Solo prop. I know the plane, prop and engine well. I'm not sure if he used the pump, but I'm pretty sure the engine was not baffled. He ran it a lot on the ground prior to take off. This would have overheated it. When he took off, you can hear the engine over rev. He had the prop pitch set to shallow (with this prop, you set the pitch for 3600 to 3800 on the ground, and not the 4500 to 4800 guys are told), and she lost power running hot and against the governor. He was in trouble right away. He almost put it down in a controlled crash on the first pass, but the engine took off again and the gear wasn't down all the way, so he aborted the first attempt. On the second, he simply gets her too slow, having no confidence in the engine at this point.

I felt very bad for the guy. I know how expensive this plane and engine are (he probably had over $11,000 in it), and how much work goes into it. I'm sure he learned a lot from the experience (the hard way).

Yes, I always run a pump on the Moki. Easier starts, safer and cooler idles, and better power at full throttle. I do not run the turbulator or anything else. I also recommend baffling the engine and keeping idle to a minimum prior to take off. I think these are global conclusions by now. A wonderful engine, but do your homework on it.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zor
All composite construction so no covering, just paint.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU
This is the CARF composite Corsair with a Moki 250, and the Solo prop. I know the plane, prop and engine well. I'm not sure if he used the pump, but I'm pretty sure the engine was not baffled. He ran it a lot on the ground prior to take off. This would have overheated it. When he took off, you can hear the engine over rev. He had the prop pitch set to shallow (with this prop, you set the pitch for 3600 to 3800 on the ground, and not the 4500 to 4800 guys are told), and she lost power running hot and against the governor. He was in trouble right away. He almost put it down in a controlled crash on the first pass, but the engine took off again and the gear wasn't down all the way, so he aborted the first attempt. On the second, he simply gets her too slow, having no confidence in the engine at this point.

I felt very bad for the guy. I know how expensive this plane and engine are (he probably had over $11,000 in it), and how much work goes into it. I'm sure he learned a lot from the experience (the hard way).

Yes, I always run a pump on the Moki. Easier starts, safer and cooler idles, and better power at full throttle. I do not run the turbulator or anything else. I also recommend baffling the engine and keeping idle to a minimum prior to take off. I think these are global conclusions by now. A wonderful engine, but do your homework on it.

Thanks Gary, good information there. It's nice to have guys like you around that we can draw from your experience.

Sorry about the traumatizing video guys.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking great Gary, she is really coming out nice.. Don't sweat painting the cowl, it will come out great and be well worth the effort. The Maiden is coming my friend, the part we all love to hate...
Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Mustangman40

Well I pulled the trigger this morning on the Robart Gear (air).. I had my heart set on the new electrics that are coming out, but can't wait any longer for them.. After reading some of the problems they are having with the units that are out and the fact that they haven't released the gear I need, been waiting over a year, I can see that they are having issues with them.. I think that it's smart of Robart to wait till all the bugs are worked out before flooding the market with a product that is sure to have issues, like some other manufactures have done...

My goal is to have my 47 in the air by June 1st the latest, we have a big event we are hosting on the 22nd- 23rd and I want time to get it all dialed in..

I need to go back in the thread, but has anyone done or thought about putting the tank in the Belly pan?? I was thinking about it the other day and it will fit, along with the valve and servo. Then it would just be one quick connect to the tailwheel and a servo lead... Whats are yourthoughts on that?

Jimbo
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only thing I can think of is a belly landing.
If it so happened that you need to put the bird down on his belly for whatever reason, beside the prop I would really hate to fix the belly and all the goodies inside.
More often than not however when belly landing nothing usually happen to the belly itself if done properly.

Did that confuse you enough?

Fabio
Old 02-16-2013, 09:23 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

It is quite commonsto put the air tank and servo in the wing on a plane this size, seen it on 60 sized too. Shouldn't be a problem.
TBI
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Doomking

Only thing I can think of is a belly landing.
If it so happened that you need to put the bird down on his belly for whatever reason, beside the prop I would really hate to fix the belly and all the goodies inside.
More often than not however when belly landing nothing usually happen to the belly itself if done properly.

Did that confuse you enough?

Fabio

I was giving it some more thought while I am cutting out the dang gauges for my dash in my cockpit
And I have an idea!!
I am going to look at doing a removable belly pan, just the lower half. That way i can access the goodies and if I do have a belly landing and it gets damaged it should be an easy repair.. My thinking is that the lower cover would take the abuse, while leaving the upper part alone. This would make the repair much easier not having to blend in paint, just build a new cover and paint... Easy right!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Zor
Banned

Just some thoughts,

It seems to me that the prop wash at idling should be sufficient to prevent overheating of an engine.

Also if there is any wind, facing it may help the engine cooling if some waiting is necessary before take off.

The air intake and air exhaust of the cowling may affect the air circulation and should be sufficient.

Please read previous postings concerning some comments about this.

Zor

Old 02-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

My .60 sized TF corsair required a baffle. I tried to get by without, but kept having overheating problems. With the baffle, I was good. Had to provide about 4 sq" out the bottom of the cowl to let the hot air out. Just my opinion, to get by without a baffle you have to have a lot of air escape the full circumference of the cowl. Other wise you get hot pockets that cant escape.
Edwin

Having said that, I should say I've seen a lot of TF 1/5 P-47's with no baffle. Mine has lots of air escape around the cowl.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Mustangman40

I started fitting the cockpit, so far so good.. I did a base coat of aluminum on everything first then sprayed the OD so when I scuffed the OD you would see the aluminum.. The side panels are still drying, I will get those fitted tomorrow.. For a cheap cockpit kit, it will look pretty good once I am done with it....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44356.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1852964   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45095.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1852965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37203.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1852966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68255.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1852967  
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 PM
oldtyme

Jimbo,

Are you going install rails and have a sliding canopy? I'm following you close.......too many people doing the "bubble" and I am, like you, doing the razorback. Your pictures helped a bunch on helping shape the razor spine. I found some foam sanding pads that look to be exactly what you were fabrication with regular foam and sandpaper. It's 180 grit so I have to go lightly but it certainly won't gouge.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Mustangman40

Andy,
glad the foam blocks are working good for you.. I think out of all my tools in the shop, my homemade sanding tools are used the most.. I will take a pic of all the different sanding tools I have sitting at the ready...

As far as the sliding canopy, I'm not planning on doing one but could be talked into it pretty easy, you go I go type thing..
Fabio is doing the razorback but it doesn't look like he is doing a slider. Anyone have some pics of a RB with a sliding canopy?

Like Gary's plane, mine is also a test bed for my next project. I am learning some newtechniques to get ready for that build.

Jimbo
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM
redbiscuits

Just so you guys don't think I've been loafing, I have been working hard on the cowl since Thursday. I put the white on and then painted the cowl flaps OD. After that I put two coats of the liquid mask on and let it sit all afternoon yesterday and last night.
I got up this morning and drew out the checkers, that took about 5 hours to get to where I like it. After that, I put another coat of the liquid mask on in case my pencil punctured any of the mask. I'm debating on maybe one more coat, probably will as this has been a lot of work. I REALLY NEED this to come out right the first time.

Stay tuned.... Looks like I won't be getting any black checkers on this today though.

Name:	Ge96558.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	1853064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88752.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	1853065  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 AM
TonyBuilder

I'm not using my cowl so if you don't like the way it comes out you can go again with mine. But I think you will get it
TB
Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 AM
redbiscuits

Thanks, I hope I don't need it.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Mustangman40

Your doing it right Gary, I think you will be a happy camper when you unmask the beast..........
Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 PM
redbiscuits

Hour 9, and still truckin....... Slowly but surely. [>:]

Name:	Ec89027.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	1853107  
Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Mustangman40

Did some more work on the cockpit today, thanks for BS'ing Gary while paint was drying...

Just did some rough fitting, I need to build up the sides as you can see in the pics with the canopy. This will bring the sides in and up.. With a little TLC this cockpit is looking pretty good, for the money it is more then scale enough for me.... Have a great week guys, I will be working a ton of hours this week and can only read from my phone for some reason..

Jimbo

Name:	Qo40118.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1853225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66442.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1853226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62013.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1853227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39652.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1853228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79360.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1853229  
Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Gary that looks like a labor of love in itself, can't wait to see the results.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 AM
redbiscuits

I can't wait either, I finally finished cutting the mask last night a little after 5pm. So with the exception of a small lunch break and BS-ing with Jimbo on the phone for a while, I have about 11 hours in the layout and cutting.

It's not perfect by no means, couple of small issues here and there. But, I hope that when I get the black on it the pattern will break it up and you would have to stare at it for a while before you can see the small flub-ups. I'm going to go home tonight and see if I can tweak a couple areas that need a little attention.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 AM
TonyBuilder

If you don’t show us the flub-ups we wont know they are there. Your so close to getting that bird on the ground and in the air.

TB
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 AM
yates55

Looking Great Gary, cant wait to see cowl on plane "sweet"

also wanted to let you and others know that I have the bubble canopy from my kit if anyone needs it just let me know

Yates

Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM
yates55

Canopy has been given away

Tony it is the box ready to be mailed

yates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.