Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Getting back into Building once again..

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Getting back into Building once again..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 AM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into Building once again..

Hi all,

Getting ready to get back into building plane kits after 7 long years of not doing much as far as flying is concerned.

I am seeking some help from anyone who has built a HOB ME 109E 1/12 Scale though.

In the Instructs it says I need the following Materials to complete the kit and I am not really sure where to get some of it as T/H doesn't list them or the search didn't find them. Any how, where is the best place to get these items I am needing or what would be good substituions for such items:

1 - TD .049 - .051 or equivalent Engine
1 - 1/2 motor mount equivalent (they say CB 5401, I have no clue what they are talking about there.)
2 - 3/32" wheel retainers
1 - 1/16" wheel retainer

Your ideas and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:51 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Getting back into Building once again..

I built one about 35 years ago. Had a TD .051 and no throttle. Two channels: elevator and aileron. Flew fine once I started using glass filled props rather than the unfilled nylon available back then in the Dark Ages. TD-Thimble Drome-engines may be available from a guy that bought all the left over inventory from Cox. Try a google search for cox engines. Otherwise any of the currently available .049 or .061 engines should work.

I'm not up to speed on what is available for the motor mount. Tower should have one small enough. The wheel retainers are usually refered to as wheel collars. I know Tower has them.

Chuck
Old 09-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There was an engine company, Norvel, that made small throttle operated 1/2A engines. Someone just picked up the company a year or two ago and started producing them again, I can't recall the name though. I have built a couple of the HOB P-51s and used the OS LA .15 engine. Good combo and we had a racing class for them using the .25 engines.
Anyway, the items you are looking for can be found in almost any hobby shop. They are common items.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

You sure that's the 1/12 scale one? We flew the 1/12 scale combat planes with .10 to .25's back in the day?

I'm trying to remember. They had a smaller 1/2A powered plane then the 1/12 scale ones that had 36" wing spans and used RC engines.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM
AmishWarlord

MECOA sells the CB mounts now. You can get one here.

http://www.mecoa.com/cb/mounts.htm
Old 09-11-2011, 03:35 AM
RSprinkel

THanks for the info folks, greatly appreciated.

R8893 - I wasn't sure that the retainers were the same as collars and didn't want to order something I didn't need, thanks for clarifying that for me. Been too long and out of the loop too long.

Gray Beard - Yeah I was originally going to get the OS LA .10 but will step up to the .15 though. I am also looking to get the HOB P-51 as well and maybe pick up a F4U Corsair. I am a fanatic with old warbirds and like those style planes.

AmishWarlord - Yup, unless the Instruction manual is lying to me, lol. Says 1/12, sport, stand off scale on the front and on the box.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:00 AM
AmishWarlord

Here is what is left of my little 6 channel .20 FP powered beasty.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65368.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1660537  
Old 09-11-2011, 04:13 AM
RSprinkel

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Here is what is left of my little 6 channel .20 FP powered beasty.

WOW, definitely looks like it went through war, lol. Looked to be a nice looking plane at one time though.

I know my other planes I am thinking of getting are going to be either the .40's or .60's. I like sport planes but as mentioned before I really like the older warbirds. I have a SIG SE .40 kit that I had started putting together a few few years ago and only got one wing panel done, however all the stuff had to go to attic as our own daughter moved back home so needless to say the wing panel mysteriously disappeared. So now I am going to have to order a wing panel direct from SIG so I can get that bird done. But in the meantime I am going to put the ME-109E together first.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:31 AM
AmishWarlord

I think I'd go electric if I made a new one. So nice just to hit the throttle and take off instead of starting the plane upside down then tuning, then flipping over a plane with a running engine.

Not to mention folding props!