Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What ever happened to Balsa Cements?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What ever happened to Balsa Cements?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:37 AM
scigs30
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ever happened to Balsa Cements?

When I started building in the early 80's most people were using wood glues and in the late 80s most were switching over to CA. I do remember old timers using Cements on RC builds such as Ambroid and Sigment. My question is do people still use these glues for RC builds? If not why? I know these glues are still around but they appear to be used my Freeflighters only.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:42 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: What ever happened to Balsa Cements?

I have a tube of Ambroid on my shelf right now. When I run out, I'll buy another.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:44 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I still use Ambroid! I also use CA, epoxy and many others. Today we have a wealth of good adhesives and each has their strong points. I use a lot of CA for the same reason that most people do, because of it's cure speed. But for edge joining balsa sheeting or other exposed joints nothing beats Ambroid because it's so sandable. A little light fine sanding and the joint is invisible. With CA you'll always have a ridge that will show through the covering.

And to top it off, the smell of Ambroid brings me back to my youth.

Dave
Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All the time, Ambroids and Sigment are both still made and sell quite well. My LHS stocks them both plus a few others I have never heard of. CA is so much faster to use so it took over the building market but people discovered you can get a CA reaction if you use it too often and in an enclosed area so have gone back to the old stand by glues. Wood glues are usually faster then the old Ambroids and SIG. It's just a choice thing. I use it all but for the most part I use CA.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 AM
scigs30
My Feedback: (8)

Yea, I miss the smell of balsa Cements. I still use Testors balsa cement for rubber powered freeflight.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:35 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I use Elmer's Carpenter's Glue for all my builds. I used to use CA to build with, but I started to see myself getting more sensitive to the CA and didn't like where that was going so I switched over to Elmer's. Many people become hyper-sensitive to CA over time and finally get to point that they can't even be around it any longer. I've seen people that would have their lungs and throat hurt for days after being exposed to CA. I didn't want to wind up like that. So when I started seeing myself reacting more to the CA I changed. I still use CA on some things were there aren't alternatives like CA hinges (don't use these much any more either), hardening threads cut in wood, and such.

Since I switched over to Elmer's I feel that my builds have gotten better. There are many reasons why I feel that way but a couple of them are that the wood is easier to sand as CA makes for a hard knot that is difficult to sand, and with the extra set time of wood glue it gives me time to make sure parts are properly aligned and clamped before the glue sets. I'm really happy with the results that I've gotten with wood glue and I doubt I'll ever go back to using CA as my primary adhesive.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 09-18-2011, 01:12 PM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

Ken I go along with you. I too use a lot of Elmers carpenter glue, expecially when I have to join two serfaces that will take some time to get lined straight. However, I also use a lot of thin CA, just to get a piece to hold then come back with the thick or a second dose of the thin. I haven't seen Ambroid for such a long time. Unfortunately, we are down to only one small HS. His inventory is small but he will order the product for you and have it in 4-5 days. Seems like there is just not enough profit for LHS to stay open. We had a good one go down early this summer. However, Hobby Lobby caries some models expecially plastic ones and different glues.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:27 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just using my wood glue this am. I was applying the sheeting to my stab. I still use alot of wood glue when I build, along with thick CA and epoxy. Good Luck, Dave
Old 09-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One reason the old cements are not used so much any more is that the more modern glues are stronger, resist shock loads much better and do not deteriorate so much with age. For balsa or other wood, any of the alaphatics are so much better in most applications.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

White carpenter's glue, CA & epoxies for me now.

I still keep a tube of balsa cement around for when I'm covering in fabric. When dope won't quite stick an edge down the balsa cement will & the next coat of dope will dissolve into it leaving no ridges.

I have heard modellers describing others as 'balsa cement'. I did not get the joke until they explained that they are really just thick dopes! - John.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:04 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Ken, I use wood glue like Elmer's, Titebond, Sigbond, etc. I use epoxy in some applications. I also use Ambroid and Duco cement. They sand just like balsa. I only use CA to make fixtures and jigs for building. CA is too expensive, too difficult to sand and worst of all it gives me a runny nose so I have some sensitivity to it.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I buy CA by the case, and use it frequently.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:49 AM
Oberst
Banned

I remember using Testers Balsa Cement on my Guillow Planes back in the 80's. But once I tried CA, I never looked back.

Pete
Old 09-19-2011, 05:29 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

The old DuPont fast drying cement was the thing for covering with silkspan. Smear a little on the wood then hit the paper with some brushed on dope thinner to tack it down. Did great.

I remember having a lot of issues with structural strength and using mainly carpenter's white glue.

Tom

Old 09-19-2011, 06:00 AM
joebahl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use tite bond 11, its water proof and holds very well . I dont use ca like i use to and epoxy where i need extra strength . joe
Old 09-19-2011, 06:22 AM
noveldoc

CA is fairly brittle. I wonder how it will hold up to vibration long term.

Have there been any studies?

Tom

Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: noveldoc

CA is fairly brittle. I wonder how it will hold up to vibration long term.

Have there been any studies?

Tom

I have had planes that reached 15 years of age And was assembled with CA and Epoxy. One plane the Balsa rotted out so I scraped it. ( wasn't worth rebuilding, previous owner hung the plane in a unheated garage for 14 years) The other is on my shelf still flying today and soon will be 16 years old. So far no problems other than my flying skills.

Pete
Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 AM
tryingagain

For me Ambroid still has some applications. Although I primarily use CA and epoxies, I love Ambroid mixed with balsa dust a a joint filler. East to use and sands great.

Cheers

Gord
Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 AM
GaryHarris

I have gone from using nothing but CA and epoxy to Titebond II. I still use epoxy where normally suggested but now I only use CA to tack things together and finish it off with Titebond II.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:29 AM
balsabuff
My Feedback: (30)

I started out with Testors Formula B. The only good thing about it was it peeled off your fingers easily. 'buff
Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

must admit I got very happy using ambroid.I used elmers alot but the ca is stronger and lighter.I really like flying lighter planes and you dont have to wait until its bedtime for the new glues to dry.I say use whatever floats your boat.and you probably fly on 72 ...lol just an inside joke
Old 09-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Debacque, well said !! I fully agree.
I have a biplane built in 1983, had to re-cover it with Oratex but the woodwork construction/joints are still in good nick after all these years.

Cheers
Bundu