Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Saw SIG Mfg. on Science Channel

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Saw SIG Mfg. on Science Channel

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Saw SIG Mfg. on Science Channel

I'm sure it was a re-run, but I had seen an episode of "How It's Made" yesterday. One of the segments of the show was on model airplane kits. After watching for a bit, I had noticed the SIG insignia on the worker's shirt who was (I assume) builting an ARF kit. A Piper Cub J-3 to be exact. Though I couldn't make out what model or size of engine they were putting on it. Either a .46 or .61 I'm guessing.

Not all that relevant, but I thought it was neat nonetheless.

edit: Changed title. I listed the wrong channel by mistake.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:03 PM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Saw SIG Mfg. on Science Channel

Would have loved to have seen it, always wondered how a plant looks and wodrks
Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: crazy nick

Would have loved to have seen it, always wondered how a plant looks and wodrks
Ya know, it looked like a regular wood shop except they have a laser CNC for cutting the kit parts. Sometime next year I'm heading down to Oklahoma to see a friend in the Army. I thought I might stop at SIG on the ride back home and check the place out. I'm pretty sure they have a retail store on-site.

I was wrong on the channel now that I think of it - it was on the Science Channel.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:08 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless something has changed, they don't have a retail store so to speak..but they do have a office you can buy things from. last time I was there a few nice older models were hanging around in that area. if I was you I would call ahead and see if a quick tour is possible. The owners have changed, and I don't know if its done anymore.

I have been lucky enough to be back in there building area a few times, it is so cool to see many of the exact airplanes from the ads and kit art in person. sometimes you even see something new or that they are testing.

Anyhow, I hope you can stick your head in the door and get a tour.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:11 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been many years ago, at least 25????, our club would make and annual pilgrimage to SIG to tour the plant and pick up fuel for the coming season. One of our members was a SIG dealer and friends with Glen and Hazel. We always got a tour of the place and like mentioned it was pretty neat to see. At that time, a lot of the machines were "converted" to be used in the model mfg business. I know one of the die smash machines was an old printing press! They also had a machine used to fold the plans. You put in an open sheet on one side and it came out all folded up on the other. The wood area was amazing. You've never seen so much wood in your life. We even got a lesson on putting everything in a kit, back in the box!!! You can do that can't you? I know I never could and still can't.[]

Long story short, call ahead and try to schedule a plant tour. IT WILL be worth the effort if they grant you a tour.

Ken
Old 10-15-2011, 10:52 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I wont be heading south until next year at the earliest. I know a few other model companies offer tours.. As has been said, a call-ahead is often required. If I have the opportunity, I will certainly do it.

I've used their fuel before, and would use their all-castor fuel it wasnt so darned expensive to ship. I started making my own fuel to thwart the high cost of the hazmat fee laden pre-mix sold in my area.

I'm still on the hunt for someone to buddy-box up with this fall for a brief tutorial before I build my plane. I'm getting a tad excited to be even ordering my kit but I have to wait until the snow flies.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked the website: It was season 9 episode 7 of How it's Made...wonder if netflix or Hulu has it yet.