Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Good news from Great Planes !!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Good news from Great Planes !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:22 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good news from Great Planes !!!

Can I take a shot at that question?

In reality, any airplane capable of basic loops and rolls can be considered a pattern airplane. That is all that is required for Sportsman into intermediate pattern.

I would answer the original intent was recreational for the US, competition for theTracer.

Brian
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I'll put it this way. I flew pattern in the 70's. Took a break to raise a family and when I got back into the hobby in the late 80's, I built an Ultra Sport 40. I remember thinking then that I wish I had it back when I flew pattern.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 PM
catspaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flew a Ultrasport 40 with a saito .65 for a couple of years in novice pattern 20 years ago. First year I flew my first ultrasport with retracts, placed 6th, 5th, and 4th in the three contests I entered. Next year, I'd built a fixed gear US40 with the same engine (and tail feather servos in rear fuse for balance), and took 1st, 1st, and 2nd in the same 3 contests. The 2nd was only cause of bad weather the next day.

So yeah, it can be considered a pattern plane. But then again, so can any plane. Some just do certain manauvers better than others. If it's capable of doing em, then it's all on the pilot. Back then, I was single, flew almost every day, doing the novice schedule over and over and over, and being my own worse critic. Paid off, obviously.

BTW, it was pretty much the same pilots in the same classes at those contests, other than those who moved up.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 PM
KC10Chief

ORIGINAL: HFrank

Hey KC10Chief, that Black/Yellow/red Dazzler looks like an ultra sport PLUS, doesn't it ?? BTW your black/red US 40 is a piece of beauty.
Thanks for the compliment! The US40 is definitely my new, favorite plane! With the Jett .56, this thing is unreal. It is just an excellent flying plane.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:46 PM
skyraider71

I like the U.S. .40, how is the build? Is it easy, or challenging to build straight?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:21 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You would have to try hard to build one crooked. As long as you follow the instructions it's ALMOST fool-proof (Of course, there are some pretty creative fools out there)

Aside from that, there is a fair amount of shaping and sanding (mostly the nose and wing tip blocks) but nothing too difficult
Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM
KC10Chief

Yeah, it's an easy build. It's a real sturdy plane. It feels real solid when you pick it up. There's a lot of sanding for sure. You will need to have your engine of choice on hand during the fuselage build.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:21 AM
skyraider71

I'm looking for a smooth, precise flyer for a .46. I have an extra AX .46 in need of a home.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:47 PM
KC10Chief

Well, then you might look into the Ultra Sport! The 46AX will fly it just fine. It won't be a rocket ship like mine is with the Jett, but it will still fly great. The Ultra Sport is a very smooth and precise flyer. Flies like it's on rails or something!