Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

When building and post-build.. do you keep all your balsa scrap?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - Might need it
90.16%
No - The build is done
9.84%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

When building and post-build.. do you keep all your balsa scrap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When building and post-build.. do you keep all your balsa scrap?

For whatever reason.. when done with a build, attempted build, or modifying an ARF, extra covering bits, wire and so forth typically get tossed, or maybe saved depending on how big a piece. But for some reason.. I can hardly bring myself to throw balsa away, except the smallest of scrap. So I have a couple buckets of balsa scraps, good balsa on the wall racks.. but man.. might need that 3" 3/32nd piece or that 6" piece of 1/8x1/8" sq. Am I just strange or are there other balsa horders out there?
Old 12-19-2011, 03:13 PM
k12rc

Default RE: When building and post-build.. do you keep all your balsa scrap?

ORIGINAL: Radical Departure

For whatever reason.. when done with a build, attempted build, or modifying an ARF, extra covering bits, wire and so forth typically get tossed, or maybe saved depending on how big a piece. But for some reason.. I can hardly bring myself to throw balsa away, except the smallest of scrap. So I have a couple buckets of balsa scraps, good balsa on the wall racks.. but man.. might need that 3'' 3/32nd piece or that 6'' piece of 1/8x1/8'' sq. Am I just strange or are there other balsa horders out there?
I don't through anything away I think I can use later
Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I am the same way, if the piece looks large enough to be used on something it stays. I have a scap bucket of balsa and spruce stick stock. A bin with scap ply and a box of scrap balsa sheeting. I usually find the need to go into these scrap bins several times during a build. When I clean up at the end of the build anything worth saving goes into the appropriate bin for the next build.

My wife says I am a hobby pack-rat
Anthony
Old 12-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem is the word ALL in your question. I answered yes but not really. Depends on the size of the wood left over. I have a big kit box full of scrap but being a plans builder I have plenty of wood on hand, not just scrap. I have enough wood on hand I can be sleective as to what I keep or toss.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:04 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep it all creating a nice stockpile usually cutting it to workable pieces. I sort by balsa sheet, sticks, dowels, and ply. I presently am not keeping the common stuff but will keep the ply stuff still.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

I keep "enough", which is one old kit box of sheet balsa and one of lite ply, blocks and any sticks. I go through the boxes once they get too full, select the best and toss the rest.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:27 PM
box car

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

I keep "enough", which is one old kit box of sheet balsa and one of lite ply, blocks and any sticks. I go through the boxes once they get too full, select the best and toss the rest.
Same here
Old 12-19-2011, 08:29 PM
crash bandicoute

i have 7 big boxes that the kits came in that are full of scraps, and 2 mailing tubes 24 inches long that have new and used balsa in. most of it is the old 'trees' that the cutout parts were in (used for rebuilding after damage-no need to make templates), but a lot of extra stock as well. i guess templates would be cleaner???
Old 12-20-2011, 03:56 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

+1
Old 12-20-2011, 06:59 AM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always have plenty of sheet stock on hand. I tend to build a lot of scratch projects so needing balsa sheet and ply (lite or aircraft quality) is the least of my needs.

Having said that, I keep bigger sections that I know I might LIKELY use. Balsa for ribs, balsa for aft belly cross planking.

I swap out a lot of materials supplied in the few kits I build. If the supplied wood is too soft and light, I stash that for a better application, and replace it with something more appropriate.

I buy a lot of started projects that really have little value. For 10 of 15 bucks, I can snag 5-6 sheets of raw stock, a pair of wheels, a dural gear, some other do-dads that I know I'll consume in time.

Why?

Hmm... I just bought a Hot Canary (A '70's biplane). I have zero desire to build it out.
But, one wing is built and suddenly I see a flying wing project.

I have gobs of servos, receivers... covering material, hardware, CA...
It'll be something else to fly in a hurry (I have only 6 planes ready to fly... that's just destitution on display!). I'll build it out as a rough "proof" prototype, and recall it's a biplane kit to begin with. All the bits to fine tune a second version are "there". First version will be a cheek nose... second version will be a spinner blended to a full rounded nose.

When I started the Spacewalker, I knew I'd grow weary of it in a hurry. It's a "complete" project with no expense spared (And it'll be electric so the expense will be HUGE), no corners cut... it'll take some time! This is a plane I expect to have for years and years; I have to be happy with every detail. It's in the build the rotation with an Ultimate Bipe.

I have the wings and tail-feathers built and some covering done. Time to box it all up, and have some fun thrashing!

I have 2 rolls of dayglo snot green and chrome to get rid of... I see an end already!

Exploiyager Projects v.21.0

Drawing as you build rocks!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
carrellh

I the keep big stuff but definitely not all scraps.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 AM
beepee

If it is bigger than a postage stamp, it goes in the save bin. For the really big/long sheet stock and stick scraps I have them stored in a big ARF box. Who says ARFs have no value in the hobby?

Bedford
Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: beepee
If it is bigger than a postage stamp, it goes in the save bin. For the really big/long sheet stock and stick scraps I have them stored in a big ARF box. Who says ARFs have no value in the hobby?
Bedford
+1

Bigger than a postage stamp... same deal.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:05 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I keep all the punch out pieces so that if I break something I have a pattern to make new parts with, and keep anything that can be used, whether it is a small flat piece, or block. What I dont keep once done are any small scraps under an inch, they just take up clutter.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:07 PM
superfli
My Feedback: (42)

My problem is that I am so disorganized when I save all this stuff I can never find it when I need it. I end up going out and buying it.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:01 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: superfli

My problem is that I am so disorganized when I save all this stuff I can never find it when I need it. I end up going out and buying it.

Tell me, I have 3 stud finders (somewhere). Same with the hammers, screwdrivers, etc. I have 2 Xacto blade holders, but recently I had to run to get one because i could not find the darn things (now I have 3). BTW, I saw them cheap at AC Moore when I went to buy 1/8 plywood...

Gerry
Old 12-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Wagon1

Gotta have something to mix your epoxy with.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Doog-meister

Save the larger stuff. Trace the cut-outs on the back of the plans. That way, I have templates for fuselage sides, ribs, etc. for a later re-build or ? ? ?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:09 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep the skeleton parts, just in case I need to 'repair' something - and I keep the box if it is larger than the one I have.....the best box for balsa so far is a Great Planes Big Stick .60 kit box
Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used my balsa scraps to not only repair damage but also in new boat builds.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:23 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I keep all my scrap wood. I do keep it seperated though, balsa, plywood, stix, sheet. I have even built small 1/2A planes from the scrap. My grandson loves rummageing thru the wood pile & (BUILDING) stuff while in the shop with me....Gene
Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

I have built several small planes from my scraps. If you build .15 and smaller, you can do the same. I once had to use 2 new boards( for fuse sides) to complete the small airframe.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Tarasdad

I keep all scrap I consider to be of useful size. Comes in handy for mods, fillets, reinforcements, all kinds of stuff.