Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Four Star fuel tank question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Four Star fuel tank question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 PM
joescottsdale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Four Star fuel tank question

Hey all, I'm back for some more advice on my Four Star.

Things are coming along good and I'm at the point of building the fuel tank into the fuselage. The plans recommend a Dubro 12oz tank which can be removed from the stock setup from the back of the fuselage after the top is built in.

When I bought my tank, I bought a Dubro 14oz. This tank being a little bigger would not be able to be removed from the tank compartment without some modification. e.g. cutting away about an 1/8th inch from each side of the fuselage former behind the tank.

The engine Ihave chosen to use isMagnum 91 4 stroke.

So here are my questions:

1) Is it worth it to have a tank 2oz larger for this engine?

2) Can I safely carve out 1/8th inch from each side of the former without causing a structural problem?

3) Should I go with a Sullivan or other tank that I could "squeeze" through the former opening after it is enclosed.

My big concern (after having just had a fuel tank spring a leak on my LT-40) is not being able to do any maintenance on the tank after it gets enclosed during the building.

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 PM
repirazz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Four Star fuel tank question

ORIGINAL: joescottsdale

2) Can I safely carve out 1/8th inch from each side of the former without causing a structural problem?
Joe-Trimming 1/8" from inside edge of former won't hurt a thing, i did the same. Just make sure you have room for the throttle cable.

-rep

Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 AM
outdoorhunting

Agreed. It's not that big of a deal. Trim away ! The 4*s are soo much fun to fly, another couple of minutes of flight time will be worth it. If you can, pictures would be great. Good Luck !
Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 AM
bikerbc

If you really want the larger tank you definiatly need to make allowance to remove it..If you are concerned about what you remove from your former you could always double it up by putting another little piece along side it...And as Repirazz says make sure your throtle cable isnt pinched or anything..Also if you put a piece of tape around your tank with a tab sticking out the back it will make it easier to pull it out if you ever need to..
Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Trimming out the formers is pretty normal. Figure about one minute of flight per ounce of fuel, it's a bit of over kill though, you use less then that in a 4*. Other brands of tanks also have different shapes so look around in magazines at different brands too if it's a big worry.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:37 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a Hayes 16oz in my 4 *. With an OS 91 FS II, I get about 15 min. and when I land I still have a couple of oz's left. The Hayes 16oz fit perfectly and left plenty of room for padding around the tank.

KaP2011
Ultrasport Brotherhood #110