Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes PT 20 not MK II

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes PT 20 not MK II

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Planes PT 20 not MK II

I am building the 20 size PT 20 for my daughter and boy is it heavy. The wing alone un-sheeted or covered is right at 14 oz. 56 inch wing span. The fuse is very heavy as well. Anybody built one of these and will a 25 even fly it???? A 40 will fit and it's only 3 oz heavier. Scared it's going to be a lead sled. Hopefully with light radio and foam wheels, it won't be too bad. Kit was given to me and she has some stick time on a swizzle stick so I figured it was time for 4 channel.

John
Old 03-10-2012, 06:13 AM
mikeh251

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes PT 20 not MK II

For what it's worth, I built a pt20 (but an mkII). They are overbuilt, I think-but strong!!! It came out at 4lbs 4oz with a 25la. I bashed the kit sometaildragger, dual servos, sport wing (less dihedral). I used all of the lightest wheels and gear etc. that I could find. The plane balanced out nicely and flew pretty decent, except I was always trying to run more prop than the max 9x5 that my 25la is capable of turning. I gave the plane to a friend who is just starting out with building a pt20 of his own. I didn't weigh his, but I can tell it is heavier than mine. He has a TTpro36 that we ran on the bench. It will easily spin a 10/6 prop, and doesn't weigh a whole bunch more than my 25. I think that will be a better fit and told him to set up my old plane with the 36. Then if something happens to it, go to his new plane. I fly in a tight area and like to have extra power to quickly avoid problems that seem to come. The 25la 9/5 setup does require a legit runway to get up some speed and get going.Once airborne, it will pullthrough big loops and climbOK (limited vertical lol).Hope I'm not wasting your time since our kits aren't exactly the same, but thought you may be able to use some of my info anyways. Soon, weather permitting, I will be able to test my old pt20 with the tt36 and 10/6 prop. Maybe even an 11/3 or 11/4. I would suggest to you that if it looks like you will exceed 4-1/4 lbs, you may want to go with more than a plain bearing 25 like I used. At least a good 25, or 32-if not the light 40 you already have. Glad to see you spending some quality time with your kid and teaching her cool stuff!!! Good luck and have fun.