Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

New sealing iron

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

New sealing iron

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:55 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New sealing iron

I have been using a Prolux sealing iron for the last year- year and half. I first took it when I needed to tighten covering on my Phoenix topstar (Oracover) and my hair drier couldnt do it. I leant it to someone for their project recently and they seem to have dropped it nose first. Now, there is a slight flattening at the very tip of the irom making it difficult to use that and the first 1/4th part of the iron isint as effective as it was before. Also, we both have problems with monokote not remaining stuck no matter how much we iron. The iron still seems to go a good job with its face though. I havent had this problem till recently and I think its now time to move on to something a bit more advanced

Will the Hobbico iron be a good one? Do I look for something more specific- Coverite, TopFlite or something? This one I would keep to my own projects and use mainly as a finishing iron. Note, I do have a heat gun also

Ameyam
Old 03-11-2012, 01:47 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: New sealing iron

I have found the 21st Century iron with it's tapered and upturned edges to be one of the best.

Karol
Old 03-11-2012, 02:10 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto - also a nice feature is a very long cord
Old 03-11-2012, 02:39 PM
mikegordon10

+1
Old 03-11-2012, 03:40 PM
outdoorhunting

Yup!! What they said !!!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:39 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, not everybody likes it. It's just personal preference but I don't care for the beveled angled toe on the shoe of the 21st Century iron. I own one and never use it. For me, a flat iron works better when applying film to sheeted areas. I do like the rounded shoulders on the back and I love the thermostat but I just prefer a flat iron.

Dave
Old 03-11-2012, 06:39 PM
ameyam

Well, looks like I need to select between the Coverite 21st century iron and the custom sealing iron from Hobbico. Any pros and cons?

Ameyam
Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't recall the brand of my last one that burnt out but it was in use for over 20 years. As luck would have it I also had a Global and Hobbico iron on hand that I picked up in a sale, I bought a big box of stuff and they were in the box. Today I just use the one I grab first. I haven't seen any difference between the two I have. Mono does have some problems but it is usually shrinkage, it often doesn't shrink very well. If your having problems with it sticking to the wood it is usually a sign the wood isn't clean, saw dust. If you still have a problem with it sticking after cleaning the wood with alcohol and a tack cloth then try a cheap can of lacquer hair spray. Spray a light coat over the wood, let it dry then iron on the Mono. When you are finished then never buy mono again, use Ultra and be happy!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:33 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

When you are finished that never buy Mono again, use Ultra and be happy!!!
True words.

Karol
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 PM
mikegordon10

And that rates another +1. I never knew I was so agreeable.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:51 PM
ameyam

TopFlite= Monokote. Thats what these guys who had borrowed my iron were using. Right now its the only one available from Tower.

Oracover = ultrakote. Thats what came with many of my models. It has a queer problem though- after it has aged a bit and exposed to the moist atmosphere in Mumbai, it begins to delaminate- ie. when you iron, the pigment sticks with the wood and the clear polyester above comes off the wood. Problem is, I have 3 models (two NIB) in this condition and am fed up of taping the one that is flying every weekend.

I solved the problem partlly by using striping tape along the edges of the trimcote- that keeps the trimcote down but I can do anything to the basekote

Ameyam
Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: ameyam

TopFlite= Monokote. Thats what these guys who had borrowed my iron were using. Right now its the only one available from Tower.

Oracover = ultrakote. Thats what came with many of my models. It has a queer problem though- after it has aged a bit and exposed to the moist atmosphere in Mumbai, it begins to delaminate- ie. when you iron, the pigment sticks with the wood and the clear polyester above comes off the wood. Problem is, I have 3 models (two NIB) in this condition and am fed up of taping the one that is flying every weekend.

I solved the problem partlly by using striping tape along the edges of the trimcote- that keeps the trimcote down but I can do anything to the basekote

Ameyam
I have never lived in a real humid area, wet but not humid. I have never had any problems with Ultra even after decades. I'm sure most any covering will have different problems in different climates. I also buy almost nothing from Tower these days and all they sell is mono. Give the hair spray a try with the mono. It works pretty well and you should be able to find lacquer hair spray even in your area. Balsaright is another good product. Not sure if you can get it or not? The hair spray will dry on the wood like a paint and when you iron on your covering the heat melts it a bit so the covering sticks very well.