Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kavalier Engine Selection

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kavalier Engine Selection

Old 08-31-2003, 04:46 PM
mglowe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Kavalier Engine Selection

Purchased a Sig Kavalier kit with a manf. recommended engine size of .29-.40 cu. in. 2-Stroke.

Would a Super Tigre G-34 do well with this kit or should I be looking for something larger like the Super Tigre GS-40?

I do have a Irvine .40 MKIII on my Goldberg Eagle II but I didn't want to move it just yet.

Thanks

-ml
Old 08-31-2003, 09:10 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Engine

The Sig Kavilier is an excellent flying airplane. The G-34 will probably do just fine, but of the half dozen or so I've seen or flown, a .40 to .46 was the engine of choice. Airplane would be a bit faster but the vertical performance will be much better. If it were mine, I'd put something like a TT .46 Pro in it. If all that sounds like too much of a hot rod, stick with the G-34.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:12 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

I agree with the prior post - a .35 to a .40, or maybe a Sportster .45 will work fine. I have a tuned pipe .40 on mine after beginning with a weak .40 and I like it better but it winds up needing tail weight. Balance it as a floater and you'll enjoy it a lot. Not quite as good a floater as a Kommander, but its nice and looks more modern.

Haven't flown my Kiwi yet, but I like the way the "K" series builds and flys in general. I think there are Kiwi, Komet, Kommander, Kavalier, Kaos, Kadet, and a few more - guess I'll keep finding them around at the auctions.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:53 AM
SAS902

We have had a lot of Kavalier's in our club. One guy had an Enya 35 in his (this was in 1980's), and it flew fine.

My own Kavalier was built in 1978 by my father, and it has always had a 45 or 46 size engine. That is plenty of power. It is still airworthy, but I have not flown it in the last year or so. I agree with Thud_Driver. It is certainly an excellent flying airplane.

Best regards,

Krister
Old 09-01-2003, 07:25 PM
aeroman

Mglowe, I own a kavalier which I previously installed an old .40 Italian made Supertigre, and flies fine, I believe the .35 should be ok. But if you can handle well a trainer, do as i did, Build the wing straight ,( cero degree dihedral) and install a TT.46 .
You are going to love it, very aerobatic and sturdy plane, but forgiving at slow speed and landings.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:34 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I used to have a Kav with a TT pro 40 and it was a screamer. I would think 36 would do the trick as well
Old 09-02-2003, 05:13 PM
hoops
My Feedback: (121)

I thought I would add my 2 cents as well.
I have built three of these kits over the years.
They have all flown very well. I keep building them and end up selling to guys in the club as a second plane.

Very fun sunday flier.

As for engines, my last one had a Royal 46 abc. This was more than enough power. Due to the soft aileron stock I had flutter problems coming out of power on maneuvers. I plan to build another on one day and will probably add light weight servos in the wings and cables back to the rudder.

I also got a TT 42 GP for the next one. This engine should be a perfect match for a balance of power and a little lighter engine.

If you just follow Sig's excellent instructions, you can't go wrong.
Good luck.

Hoops
Old 09-02-2003, 11:36 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Default Kavalier engine

I built on last year. I fitted a Fox .40 ABC in the nose. I added no weight anywhere. The battery pack and receiver gave me plenty of adjustment. I added turned down tips to mine for STOL. Never has tip stalled.
The fox is plenty for me 11x7 12,800. I wouldn't choose to go smaller than a bushed .40 or larger than a mild .46. If you want to keep most of your cowl your engine can get too large.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:19 PM
jneesy

Default RE: <span class=

have a webra 50 in mine and it is quite the hot rod balanced perfect since the webra 50 is lighter than alot of 40's
Old 11-05-2003, 10:08 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Sig Kavalier Engine Selection

My Kavalier had plenty of zip with a Tower 40. I'm sure it would fly nicely with a G34.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I've had several of these as well. Like hoops, I also had flutter, but I was using an OS46SF (precursor to the FX) with a tuned pipe.

These are great planes, but the guy that taught me to fly also had flutter in the tail and like me could never solve it. I checked everything over and over. I even checked the canopy to see if that was vibrating somehow.

Even with all that, I would highly recommend going with a .40 or larger. The plane has a lot of ply so they are not light.

They are a perfect 2nd plane. Similar performance to the Ugly Stick planes, but prettier and a little sleeker in the air.

Sig is always very conservative on their engine recommendations. Almost every Kadet Senior I've ever seen has a .602C up to .904C's and that according to Sig is a .40 size plane. I flew mine with a .40 FP and it was barely enough to fly it. I could almost do a loop if I dove hard enough.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:34 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: MAJSteve

Haven't flown my Kiwi yet, but I like the way the "K" series builds and flys in general. I think there are Kiwi, Komet, Kommander, Kavalier, Kaos, Kadet, and a few more - guess I'll keep finding them around at the auctions.
The Kaos was never a Sig product. However, you can add Kougar (.40 size, my personal favorite), Kobra (.60 size) and Kobra Jr. (.25 size) to your list.

I've got a Kiwi waiting to be built with a period correct Enya .45XTV.

Mike
Old 11-06-2003, 03:52 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Although the Kavalier is not quick to get airborne when it lifts its wheels it speeds up quickly. It requires less engine to go fast than the sticks but more to get airborne. Like a kaos it flys much like a pattern ship with a long tail moment and symetrical wing. This high speed capability will make flutter more likely. Watch your hinge gaps and don't enlarge your surfaces. Use gapless hinges if possible.
If you fly off grass go for the larger engine and prop it for medium speed. You will have plenty of speed in the air but you might appreciate the shorter takeoffs.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:46 PM
majortom

Yeah, my Kav had top-hinged elevator with continuous monokote from stab to elevator, center hinged rudder also continuous monokote hinges. Never had a moment's flutter, and this thing tore up a lot of sky.