Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

covering

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 PM
dano3077

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering

I want to monokote a wing that i bought used thats really old.I had to take the old covering off which was a paper like material.I's been on so long that I cant get the paper off the solis surfaces.Any ideas? or will monokote adhere over the paper?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 PM
G8er

Default RE: covering

have you tried sanding it off?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM
dano3077

I did its on there good.I also tried steam. I'm thinking the monoke will stick maybe spray some tack spray before covering.What u think?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Most times the older the covering is the harder it is to remove, and at times it can be a pretty labour intensive process. Just take your time and go slow, and you will eventually get it off, because if you rush it most times the wood gets dinged in the process and all the little imperfections in the wood caused by your haste will show up under the new shiny covering.

Karol
Old 05-07-2012, 03:53 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When sanding the old stuff off of the wings just make sure to use a flat sanding bar that will cross at least 3 ribs so that the profile is not affected.

Have you tried a chemical solvent like acetone (finger nail polish remover)? Try on a small part to see if it will dissolve the old adhesive. If it does a decent job then use in a well ventilated area.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

try acetone and give your covering heat gun a try. Not sure what covering was used, at first I thought maybe silk span but it sands off pretty easy.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The description of paper makes me wonder if you have a tissue and dope covering. Sounds like it could get messy. [>:]
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been there a time or two on recovering old planes . Heat is your friend when loosening dope or adhesive on most coverings . I usualy go over the slivers of remaining material with an old iron and pick at the edges with an exacto blade to get ot to lift . Very tedious but it usually works out better than just trying to sand it all off . Save all that sanding for after you have all the covering debris removed .