Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bob Dively 1/4 scale Christen eagle?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bob Dively 1/4 scale Christen eagle?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:18 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bob Dively 1/4 scale Christen eagle?

I just got a kit of a Bob Dively Christen Eagle and cant find any information about it. I think the wingspan is 59" and not the 80" version. Anybody ever built or flown one of these?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 AM
mohr_dave
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bob Dively 1/4 scale Christen eagle?

Hey there, haven't seen any replies and I haven't flown or built one, but I did acquire one of these myself, with the plans.  The one I have is mostly built-up but will have to get the once-over before I start stuffing with electronics and engine.   Is your kit complete, started, not started ???  Do you have a color scheme planned yet?  The one I have has a black and white checkerboard on the cowl with a white on black eagle, which I haven't been able to find a full scale that matches. 

Looking forward to hearing any flying comments as well, along with what anyone has used for powering one of these planes.

Dave
Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Live Wire

This can get interesting I have one that has a 57" wing span that calls for a 60 to 90 2st engine. The bottom wing had mods to make the plane scale, both wings the same. Glass fuse and foam wings. I have it assembled and painted with 3D AC paint. Does any one know what it may be worth, I want to get rid of it.
And I built this on the plans the plans call for 60" wing span
Larry K
Old 07-16-2012, 05:05 PM
mohr_dave

LiveWire,
     It depends.  I picked up my plane - uncovered - on eBay for $150.  The gentlemen had another and I picked that one up too, for $100, which was to include $30 in shipping.  I've seen the Byron CEs go for about $200 completely built.  I picked up a couple of 1/3 scale (GP and a Pilot) CE for around $300 each.  The Pilot needs some TLC and the GP is new/unassembled.  I tried looking up both Bob Dively and Pilot CEs on the RCUniverse blue book but no luck.  I also tried looking at worthpoint, again no luck.  A brand new 90 sized Hangar 9 can be had for $325.  So, really, it's whatever someone will pay.  If you have a local club, that's probably your best bet, since you won't have to deal with shipping.  If you do end up shipping, I typically use Greyhound, which is far less expensive than the other carriers.

Do you no longer fly, or did you get this and you don't fly? 

Not sure this helped get you a price on yours, but it just really depends.  I saw another ship on eBay (ok, missed out due to a meeting) that went for $72 with $40 shipping, but that was a 46- 72 size.

I'm not sure this really helped you but hopefully it helped get you an idea.  If you have the plane complete, obviously it's worth more, a lot of people out there these days are lazy or just don't want or can't deal with putting planes together.

Dave
Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Live Wire

Dave
Thanks a lot, I got this plane on part payment on building a Midwest AT-6. I built it and put cables on the rudder and elevator, 2 servos for the ailerons and have a Como 90 mounted in the front. I was going to fly it but health changed thing for me, I am only 75 things happen[]
Larry K
Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 PM
mohr_dave

Larry,
    Do you have pictures of the plane, and is there a club close to you?  I'm guessing if you are building an AT-6 for someone, the answer would be yes.  This is also the fun fly season, so taking it to one of the area fun fly events with a "for sale" sign on it may be another idea for you.  Just a thought.

Dave
Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 AM
Live Wire

Dave
Yes there is a club here I started it 25 years ago. The only thing is like all clubs they are waiteing for the chance to get to my wife after I am gone. The AT-6 was built 4 yr's ago and the guy that I built it for wanted the eagle and then changed his mind. I have been in this hobby 65+ years and have 18 plane I am going to thin out, the Monocoupe is 40 and the Waco was built in 85. I also have a Kato Laser 200 built ready for a 90.
And as you probably know, auto paint and catl. sells for what people want to give for planes. I would like to get ride of this stuff local or within driving distance.
Larry K
Old 06-25-2013, 03:50 AM
mohr_dave

Larry,
    Ok, so it's been a LONG time not replying back to this thread.  But, I thought I would see how you were doing and how you were doing at thinning your fleet?  I ended up acquiring a "few" planes since last year and haven't gotten to the Eagle yet[]  Hopefully this Winter. 

BTW, since you've been in the hobby a while, have you ever seen an Eagle with black and white checkerboard on the cowl?

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 AM
Live Wire

Hello Dave
Still here and still have all my planes every one going small electric and I will take them with me before I [:@] I found the checker board Christan Eagle on a search on Bing. Different don't look bad though.
Larry K
Old 06-25-2013, 04:41 AM
mohr_dave

Larry,
    Can you send the link to the plane you saw with the black/white checkerboard?  I did a generic search on Bing in the images for "christen eagle" but do not see one.

If you decide to ship something some day, keep me in mind.  I've used Greyhound with great success.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 AM
Live Wire

Dave
Just took a look and now I can't get it to come up[:@] It was on Google not bing and was in the full size air craft. I have a tooth driving me nuts[:@]
By the time a person builds crates and ships these planes it is not worth it, I try to get local pick up or share mileage where practical.
Larry K
Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Live Wire

Just as it sit's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61962.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1894934  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 AM
mohr_dave

Looks nice Larry!  It's interesting, the one I have is a F/G fuselage, looks like yours is a built-up fuse. 

You going to finish it and fly it or ?

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Live Wire

Dave
The fuse, cowl and wheel pants are glass, wings are foam extended to scale span, pull pull on Ev. and rudder, servos in wing for Ailerons. Just a BD kit painted with auto paint and wings covered with Sig's covering. Fire wall is stalk can be cut for gas or the way it is for Nitro.
Just too many planes
Larry K
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Live Wire

Double post[:@]
Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
mohr_dave

Sorry, too many planes. I don't understand that statement. Must be my membership in AA (Airplanes Anonymous). It's a sickness I guess. I have a "few" planes in my little shop and a "few" more at a friends that we bought together. Some get cleaned up and flown, some get donated to those that need a little help and some we clean up and sell. I have my list of favorites, Christen Eagle, Corsair, P-38, Extra (fill in the blank), etc...

Dave

Name:	Pn37053.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1894964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73325.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1894965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58180.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1894966  
Old 06-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Live Wire

This is just the planes not all just some

Name:	Nk27838.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1895019  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:21 PM
mohr_dave

Larry,
    Nice collection!  Which ones are for sale?    I know, you want to do local but but but.....

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Pitts back there Dave!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:34 PM
mohr_dave

Dasquirrelisme,
    Thanks, it's funny you see that!  That plane was a "save".  I haven't a clue what kit it is, it's a F/G fuse and had originally (a LONG time ago) been flown with an FT-120 up front.  I figured sooner or later I would get to it.  I have the servos installed in the fuse and have been working on getting an engine stuffed up front, it's a very short nose.  If I could easily make a hatch and I don't really want to hack up the f/g, I would just convert it to electric but I don't love the idea of having to undo a bunch of screws everytime I want to swap batteries. 

What are you flying/working on?  Have you made any progress on your Christen Eagle? 

Dave