Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Club

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 PM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting retracts in your plane if you want too go too the extra work to do it .There is a certain amount of fun watching the wheels disappear when you flip the switch .As long as everything works . If you expect a big increase in performance you might be disappointed . I would go with struts instead of wire gear because I found the wire gear bent too easily and you are constantly straightening them ,then adjusting them . It just took too much time away from flying and having fun . That 's just my experience, One of my more talented buddy's put a set in his plane and his worked fine and didn't add much weight .
Old 12-05-2014, 02:48 AM
mustangherb
My Feedback: (6)

As far as an increase in performance, I was not expecting any. I have never built an airplane yet that I installed retracts, so this will be the first. I want my building experience/knowledge to grow, I always wanted to try this type of airframe, so when this kit came along it seemed like the perfect marriage of two things I wanted to do.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:41 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangherb
I intend to use the ones in my kit, as I would like to gain experience of using retracts. I would like to say that I do like hearing all the different takes from people in the forum. As a tool maker I use to work with some very talented machinist and each has his own way to machining the same part, but each equally as well as the other. I guess what I am saying is that people like doing the same things with different approaches, but neither is actually wrong.
Nothing wrong with putting retracts in the Tiger. The airplane is already pretty slick so I doubt it would speed up much more, but seeing a Tiger do a low pass with the wheels tucked up would be a pretty neat sight.

My favorite retracts were a set of Kraft electrics I had on a Pica T-28. They would crank up slow and clunky, just like the real Trojan. They weren't the most reliable units but they made that airplane look good.

On another note.... I sold my Tiger 2 last week so am Tiger-less at the moment. Wish I knew how many hours were on that thing as it flew several times a week since 2008, and it was still as smooth as ever.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by thailazer
On another note.... I sold my Tiger 2 last week so am Tiger-less at the moment. Wish I knew how many hours were on that thing as it flew several times a week since 2008, and it was still as smooth as ever.
Sounds like as good of a excuse as any to buy a new Tiger kit!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a set of these in my Sun Fli V. http://robart.com/collections/retrac...eady-w-air-kit

You can get these ready to accept a Robo strut (spring loaded) or just straight wire. I also have this same retract in a Pica FW 190. I have not had a single failure with either one. It is nice to have the spring down feature. The only thing I do not like about spring down, is it would be nice to transport the wings with the gear retracted, but that can be overcome. One thing I have had happen, are servo failures on the valve. Not sure why, probably because I threw any old servo laying around on them. This was a mistake. You want to have a good servo on the valve.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:27 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Sounds like as good of a excuse as any to buy a new Tiger kit!
Yeah, I might scratch build one for my Como 40 after I get my Double Scout done. ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scra...s-project.html ) I still have my Tiger 2 plans and found a wood supplier that has me deep in building wood.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:51 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by thailazer
Yeah, I might scratch build one for my Como 40 after I get my Double Scout done. ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scra...s-project.html ) I still have my Tiger 2 plans and found a wood supplier that has me deep in building wood.

Interesting on the Como. My Sky tiger, the original with 63" wing, was powered with a Como .40. Everyone at my flying club then always told me it was under powered and said I needed at least a .45. The problem was, I was a 16 yo kid, and my only income was mowing lawns! The Como was the engine I had from my trainer. That was the only downside of the Sky Tiger then. It was a great 2nd airplane from your .40 trainer, but it did want a more powerful engine to unleash the full potential. I sure have learned a lot since then!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:09 PM
vertical grimmace

I have a question to those that have flown both the original and the re-release. Which did/do you prefer? I am thinking I may just grab up a kit and sit on it until the time is right. I would want it in a .60 size, as I would throw a 20cc gasser on it.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:20 PM
FlyerInOKC

Go with what you love!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:24 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Interesting on the Como. My Sky tiger, the original with 63" wing, was powered with a Como .40. Everyone at my flying club then always told me it was under powered and said I needed at least a .45. The problem was, I was a 16 yo kid, and my only income was mowing lawns! The Como was the engine I had from my trainer. That was the only downside of the Sky Tiger then. It was a great 2nd airplane from your .40 trainer, but it did want a more powerful engine to unleash the full potential. I sure have learned a lot since then!
I flew my Tiger 2 with the OS 35AX and had no problems. I would think that the Como 40 would be about on that same par as the 35, or maybe more powerful. Any idea which engine would be stronger?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a question to those that have flown both the original and the re-release. Which did/do you prefer? I am thinking I may just grab up a kit and sit on it until the time is right. I would want it in a .60 size, as I would throw a 20cc gasser on it.
If that's the case you would love mine. Size 60 with tube mounted and sheeted wings, enhanced tail surfaces, custom cowl with a DLE 20 hid in it and a tail dragger. Flies on rails or can be uncorked and will hover, it's a blast to fly.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000963.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	756.7 KB
ID:	2053972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000965.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	787.9 KB
ID:	2053973  
Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

That's a great looking plane, Leroy. I really like the look of the landing gear.
I put 4 flights on my Tiger 3 last night. It gets cold and dark early, so going after work is difficult, but it was worth it. You could take off one direction, turn around and land in the opposite. Wind was calm, temp was about 58. Not bad for December in the Texas panhandle. I really liked all the Tiger 2's I've had over the years, but this one with gas engine on it has to be my favorite. I usually pull my trailer when I go flying, but with only about an hour and a half of daylight and a 20 minute drive to the flying field, I just loaded the plane, my transmitter, and my gas can and took off. Fortunately I didn't have any issues where I needed this tool or that part. Just one 8 minute flight right after the next.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Now that is a worthwhile trip to the field Red Raider!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Red Raider

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Now that is a worthwhile trip to the field Red Raider!
Thanks, Okie! It was so worth it, that I'm considering doing it again this afternoon.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:12 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
If that's the case you would love mine. Size 60 with tube mounted and sheeted wings, enhanced tail surfaces, custom cowl with a DLE 20 hid in it and a tail dragger. Flies on rails or can be uncorked and will hover, it's a blast to fly.

Leroy
Yah Leroy, you did a great job on that one! I am thinking I will keep mine 100% stock, other than being a taildragger, as I prefer that configuration. I may even paint it brown and gold like my original. It would seem the DLE 20 would be a perfect match. I have one installed in a Pica FW 190 and love it.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:23 PM
thailazer

Here's what I've been working on. Started with the dimensions doubled from a Craftair Scout plan but now that it is coming together, it is looking much more like a scaled up Tiger than anything else. (100 inch span with a 16 inch chord.) Even used my old Tiger 2 tail I replaced when I converted it to the Mooney style tail. Extended the tail's span and beefed it up and it should serve well here. Maybe I should have called it the Tartan Tiger rather than a Scout Aero-Gas.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scra...s-project.html
Old 12-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Mjet

Query: For total wingspan of 70 inches , the left wing is slightly bigger (90 cm) as compared to left wing (88.5cm). I feels that there is an error in the drawing or it an error or deliberate to compensate for the engine rotation? Expert comment please and what about your wing , both are same same wing span or has this difference
Old 12-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Red Raider

Yah Leroy, you did a great job on that one! I am thinking I will keep mine 100% stock, other than being a taildragger, as I prefer that configuration. I may even paint it brown and gold like my original. It would seem the DLE 20 would be a perfect match. I have one installed in a Pica FW 190 and love it.
Just throwing this out there - Valley View sells a 20 and a low-profile 21 gas engine that is absolutely wonderful. I have one in a P-40 and it is rock solid. $199 unless you catch it on sale. With Valley View's unsurpassed customer service I really don't buy from anyone else unless they simply can't get it.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:14 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Red Raider
Just throwing this out there - Valley View sells a 20 and a low-profile 21 gas engine that is absolutely wonderful. I have one in a P-40 and it is rock solid. $199 unless you catch it on sale. With Valley View's unsurpassed customer service I really don't buy from anyone else unless they simply can't get it.
I agree, I think I have purchased 5 engines from them this year. I bought my DLE 20 several years ago before the rear exhaust/ angled plug version came out. Otherwise I would have gone with that one. My 190 has a 65" wing, but much less area than a Sky tiger. Spinning that 16-8 or 17-6 prop, would be plenty I think. I am guessing an almost perfect combo really.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:12 PM
FlyerInOKC

I agree, I think I have purchased 5 engines from them this year. I bought my DLE 20 several years ago before the rear exhaust/ angled plug version came out. Otherwise I would have gone with that one. My 190 has a 65" wing, but much less area than a Sky tiger. Spinning that 16-8 or 17-6 prop, would be plenty I think. I am guessing an almost perfect combo really.
You must be speaking about these:

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/v...as-engine.html

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/v...as-engine.html
Old 12-12-2014, 03:01 PM
vertical grimmace

Well, actually I am talking about the DLE 20. I have no experience with the VVRC engines, although I have not heard of a complaint. THE DLE is more expensive, but the rear exhaust and angled back plug are a big deal for me, as I mostly fly warbirds.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:29 PM
vertical grimmace

Ok, kind of excited, I got myself an original!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321611797208

Add it to the stack of stuff.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:21 PM
thailazer

Ok, kind of excited, I got myself an original!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321611797208

Add it to the stack of stuff.
Nice score!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:58 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi new to this site, but I have a question. I built and flew to destruction a CG Eagle and converted in into a low wing. It flew great. I have a NIB CG Eaglet kit. I saved it to convert to a Jr Tiger. I know the Tiger wing is semi- symmetrical, and the Eaglet is not, but I thought it would still be fun to fly. Should I keep the Eaglet original and/or sell it and buy a Tiger? I am not into small planes anymore, but I do have grandkids becoming interested in RC. Thanks.
Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Flight.

Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4 (Koverall/dope), H9 100 inch (Gen 1) (Solartex/?), CG Anniv Cub (NIB)
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Kadet Brotherhood #96; Mk 1 Kadet, Kadet Junior,
Sig Kougar, Sig 1/4 Cub, Sig 1/4 Spacewalker II
YS F 120
Old 12-16-2014, 10:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Richard go with makes you happy, its as simple as that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.