Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Looking for a kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Looking for a kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:15 AM
pitts M 12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a kit

Whats the best 70 to 100 inch wingspan model that won't break the bank, is preferable 6 channel but 5 is an option and can do basic aerobatics without being a hot shot model. Low wing is preferred. All help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

JM
Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for a kit

Sig Spacewalker II
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM
bikerbc

Ya Spacewalker is ia very nice looking gentle flying model that you can get either a kit or an ARF ..You can run them on Electric Glow or Gas.... Goldberg Tiger about 60 size with a few mods during the build , like add flaps if you wish , maybe retracs , Or the Ultra Sport With a few mods during the build , like add flaps etc etc. I guess it depends on if you want to build a kit or buy an ARF and assemble...We need to know more to really help you.. What is your flying skill level ?..Not everybody knows how to build or has to space to dedicate to the building part of the hobby so ARF's are their only option and thats fine but when you are looking for a plane there is no use looking at the kits...Unless you have a buddy that will build it for you...
Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pull up Blue Jays web site and see if there is anything there you like. The prices are as outstanding as there planes. Most of the 60 size planes are around 70 inch wing span. Plans for some bigger planes are easier to come by then kits these days. The Ultra Sport 1000 is an 80 inch wing but the kit is discontinued but found often in the market place. These days I like my planes in about the same size you are looking for so I just buy the plans and cut my own kits. I have a much better selection of planes this way too.
Look on the Tower web site too. I think I just saw the Super Sportster kit in 60 size in there catalog, that could be a plane you may like?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:15 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The Great Planes 82" span Super Sportster is a very nice model with excellent flying manners.

Karol
Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 PM
KitBuilder

what is the BLue Jays website.. didnt see anything via google.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:21 PM
pitts M 12

I"ll echo KitBuilder's question, what is blue jays models, I've never heard of them. Another comment on the request a scale model is preferred. Thanks for the response.

JM

Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, this one is a bit hard to find because the company URL doesn't actually say Blue Jay. But rather it goes by www.bridiaiplanes.com 

With that being said, almost any of the Bridi planes will fit your bill. They all fly really well. Some of the best flying planes out there are a Kaos. I personally don't think you've flown until you've had a Kaos in your hanger at least once. And that includes an Ultra Sport as they are built on the Kaos wing. I can't even begin to count how many Kaos'es I've had over the years. They are a gentle flying plane with no bad habits, but they will do just about anything you ask them to. Knife edge is it's only real weakness.

Take a look.

Ken
Old 09-21-2012, 02:47 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

I've had excellent quality kits from Blue Jay all 3 times I've ordered from them, and any Bridi design flies well.

A Sig Four-Star 60 would also be a good candidate and be easy to build if that's a concern.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Gray Beard

In the past all I did was goggle in Blue Jay Models but I just tried it and had to type in Blue Jay RC Models and it came right up. Pitt, look at the Tower site then for some nice scale models. You have also posted in the kit forum so I assume ARFs are out. The Bridi designs run right around $100.00 for the 60 size kits. Joe designed pattern planes back in the day. Scale planes in the size you are looking for will be a bit more but something like an Extra or Sukhoi?? Maybe? Great planes sells a nice 60 size Extra. A scale of what would be of help to point you in a direction. SIG cuts some very fine kits. How much is breaking the bank? How hard of a build? I have a giant scale Cessna kit but it has a big parts count. I think it is an 83 inch wing, I would have to look. It's also an old PICA kit and not that easy of a build. Very scale though.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:29 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

On the smaller end of the size limits, 72 inch wingspan, you can't beat a Sig Astro Hog. Probably one of the best all around flying planes ever made. A true classic.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:16 AM
pitts M 12

Thanks for the blue jay models link i will have to look into it. The kind of model I'm looking for is a kinda of like a 1/3 scale vans RV 3. Something in that range. I will also look into tower hobbies. Thanks for all the help and ARF and electric is out.

JM

Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Gray Beard

Look in the market place. At one point in time there were a lot of RVs cut. You may find a few there.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 AM
pitts M 12

I have been looking at the top flite t 34 mentor. Any comments?

JM

Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considered a classic Pattern Plane. I have many fiberglass kits if you like them. They build fast and go fast. Tons of fun!  If you email me i will send you a list of kits and parts.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:02 PM
pitts M 12

Email sent

JM

Old 09-23-2012, 04:42 PM
ARUP

If you fly it like Mr. Cole it'll be a low winger a lot of the time! Wendell Hostetler has plans and there may be some different kits available.