Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Need a new kit for my DLE20

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Need a new kit for my DLE20

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Need a new kit for my DLE20

Ihad it in an ARF 4*120, love flying it and had just gotten comfortable and at ease with flying it when a wing decided it had enough and snapped off, resulting in a death spiral and a smashed arf. No hopes of rebuilding it, only the tail is useful. I would like to build a 120 from a kit, but the wing would be one piece and too long to transport @81", considering the bed of my truck is only 78". The ARF was perfect for transport, but apparently the desing of the wings has a huge flaw where the joiner meets the spar and is weak in that area, because that is about where the wing appears to have separated.

In any case, I would like to build something like the 4* that can handle the DLE20, with no more than a 78" wing, or one that has removable wings that are solid and wont come apart like this one did. I am done with ARF;s so it has to be a kit, this way if a wing breaks off it was because I screwed something up, but I build pretty good.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 AM
acdii

Default RE: Need a new kit for my DLE20

Nevermind, SIG will replace the 4*120 with a kit and covering.  It's all I can ask for on this.  Now to figure out how to get the full wing to fit in the bed of my truck with the gate up and the cover down and locked.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Build a 4-Star 120 and cut two bays off each wing. I have one built that way with an Evolution 26 gas engine in it and it is a really fun plane to fly that way. It will make the plane a lot sportier and let it do things it won't now. Also, if you build it take out all but about an inch of dihedral in the wings. 

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 AM
acdii

What is the span without the last bay?   I did the dihedral cut on my Kadet LT40, and it has only an inch and I like it a lot, so doing the same on the 4* is a must do for me too.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry that I didn't answer sooner. I couldn't remember the wingspan off the top of my head and had to wait until I got home and could measure. I cut  the last two bays off the wing tips, and reduced the dihedral to about 1". The wingspan from tip to tip is now 73". And like I said, it really wakes this plane up and makes it very fun to fly!!! I have a lot of planes in my hanger, and somehow the 4-Star 120 seems to make it to the field more often than a lot of the others!!!

Ken
Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 PM
acdii

73" is a perfect size!  The bed of my truck is only 78". WTH pickup trucks have such short beds boggles the mind. If you need a truck that seats 5 and an 8 foot bed you have to get a superduty! grrr.   Even a 7' bed would suffice.   Well at least this way I dont need to get a trailer to haul my planes around in!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of the 4* 60s I have built the wings get the two bays removed and most of the dihedral, really improves the roll rate but it is still a floater. Last one I built was the only full wing I have ever built. The student I was teaching to build was in his mid 70s. What a huge wing!! What a difference removing the bays makes!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM
acdii

if the 60 is huge, the 120 is a monster!   Makes it really easy to see too!   The one problem with a big plane like this is how far you have to walk when they crash. This bugger was out a 1/2 mile from me, and the wing was another 1/2 mile the other direction.

I went out again last night and recovered the rest of the plane, and found the ignition module that fell off. I may be able to reattach the high voltage cable to it, and if so, should be able to reuse it and not have to buy another one.  Keeping my fingers crossed that all I need is a new fuel nipple and servo gear. All the rest are still working.