Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LOW TACK TAPE

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LOW TACK TAPE

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
TPL33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOW TACK TAPE

I'm going to build a model that calls for using Low tack tape during several steps. What is low tack tape? Masking tape? Scotch tape? Blue painting type tape? thanks in advance!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: LOW TACK TAPE

Go to any good hardware store and you can find it. It's usually just a low tack masking tape and says low tack on the label. The tape I have is just the blue masking tape.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Blue masking Tape I believe is Low Tack Tape.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Drafting tape looks just like masking tape but is much less sticky. It costs about twice as much. You can get it at office supply stores.

Whether you really need something this low tack, or masking tape will do, is a different question. Drafting tape is useful for masking because it won't pull the underlying paint layer off. If you need to temporarily stick something to paper, drafting tape is good. But if all you need is something to keep from sanding too far (like putting tape on ribs when you sand a trailing edge to shape), masking tape works fine. Drafting tape in that kind of use would come off too easily and it would be an unnecessary expense.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Blue painters tape.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not all the blue masking tape is low tack. I have both types in my shop and the regular blue masking tape will lift paint from a plane when you remove it. That's why I tried the low tack. The problem I had with it was it didn't stay stuck. It tended to lift on it's own. I checked last night and it does say low tack on the package.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:36 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are several masking products there is a white version of low tack a blue version and a green type

the blue is what I use for sticking parts,or sheeting into place for positioning, usually the full tack version because on raw balsa the lighter version tends to become unstuck rather quickly, and actually costs more than the regular 3M blue stuff.

for those who may be painting there models and are looking for crisp lines I would recommend the 3M green tape its called clean edge because it resists bleeding along the lines and also releases from the surface you have masked off, it works allot better than the blue tape and gives a nice crisp line when pulled off the surface
Old 01-04-2013, 03:27 PM
TPL33

I needthe tapeto hold the horizontall stab perpindicular to the vertical stab while the epoxy curesafter installingthe horizontal stab. The vert stab is already attached to the fuselage (ARF). I guess the idea is to have tape that won't damage the already covered horiz stab.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Like I said, blue painters tape.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Top_Gunn

ORIGINAL: TPL33

I need the tape to hold the horizontall stab perpindicular to the vertical stab while the epoxy cures after installing the horizontal stab. The vert stab is already attached to the fuselage (ARF). I guess the idea is to have tape that won't damage the already covered horiz stab.
For that purpose, I'd use ordinary masking tape. It won't damage a film covering and you want enough holding power so it doesn't come undone. Any color will do. Although when I do this I put the plane on a flat table and put blocks under each end of the horizontal stabilizer.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"For that purpose, I'd use ordinary masking tape. It won't damage a film covering "

Use caution. If it is an ARF, and the trim is painted on, it could lift the trim.

Les
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Top_Gunn

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

''For that purpose, I'd use ordinary masking tape. It won't damage a film covering ''

Use caution. If it is an ARF, and the trim is painted on, it could lift the trim.

Les
Yeah, good point. I'm not an ARF guy and didn't think of that. Blocks of wood under each side of the stab won't damage anything. I use playing cards to get the final height just so.