Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tools for kit building

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tools for kit building

Old 03-14-2013, 03:41 PM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools for kit building

I'm starting out on building a plane from a kit. I know I'll need them squares people use (in their photos) to help line parts together. Where do you find these? Who sells them?

Also, any other tools that would help in build? Greatly appreciate your responses.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:45 PM
GaryHarris

Default RE: Tools for kit building

Welcome to kit building WindGap! Your gonna love it.

http://search.rcuniverse.com/search....r+kit+building
Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 PM
dakoris73

Welcome WindGap;

I too just started working on my very first kit build as well, and so far, the main tools I've used are as follows:
- razor saw,
- miter box (mine is basically a piece of 2x4 and basswood glued together),
- 100 and 200 grit sandpaper,
- a 36" metal straight-edged ruler,
- a 12" wooden school desk ruler,
- 2 builder's triangles,
- 100 ct box of T-pins,
- Wood glue, thin CA, Thick CA
- 5 min and 30 min epoxy
- time and patience
- and lots of lighting

Sounds like a lot, but its generally a basic listing of tools to start with. I know I will definitely want to get a few more triangles of different sizes for my next builds, but these basic tools have worked well for me so far.

Good luck, take your time, and you'll enjoy your building project as much as I have enjoyed mine. And if you have any questions, the guys on this forum have tons of advice and techniques to help make your experience so much better.

Mikey
Old 03-14-2013, 07:51 PM
harlanb
My Feedback: (1)

have not purchased any tools from this place, but they have a lot of great hard to find tools. I will probably be using them in the near future.
www.micromark.com/
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

To Mickey's list I would add a few things and make some adjustments: I would get two different size T pins 1" and 1 1/2". I would add some instant set to the CA for when you need a quick tack. If you are like some of us and can't handle the fumes from the regular CA try the Foam safe CA, less fumes and no stuffy nose afterwards.
Hobbico makes a small set of metal Builder's Templates in different shapes made out of aluminum I find the set really useful. I would also add the Hobbico Build's triangle set. They are clear plastic and designed to fit together o free standing. One triangle has slots to determine the most common wood thicknesses. Both can be had for around $7.00 a set. Xacto has a nice 3" triangle that doubles as a ruler as well. I own them all. My miter box is a little aluminum job from it came with a razor saw and was less than $10.
YOU MUST HAVE if you don't already have one of each a good airplane balancer and a prop balancer. A properly balanced airplane will fly a lot easier and be more stable then an unbalanced plane. A balanced propeller will but less strain on the motor and give better performance. When I was young and stupid I learned this the hard way. Now I'm old and still stupid but I know better.

Shop at your local hobby shop first, if they don't have it they can get it and they are worth their weight in gold when you have a problem. You can learn a lot just hanging out with the other builders regardless of your experience. It's a lot like RCU only smaller.

Lastly I would recommend a steel 12" ruler over a 12" wood rule. I have metal rulers start at 6" and going up to 6 feet. The 6 foot ruler is real handy if you are going to use Monokote or Ultracoat for cutting long strips for the wing sides. I prefer to buy my Ultracoat in the 10 meter roll and my Monokote in the 25 foot roll on the base color. It doesn't save any money but does appear to make for an easier layout with less waste, just my opinion. I will sut up now!

Mike
Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 AM
foodstick

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend one of the razor planes, very handy tool... plus you get to pickup tons of balsa pig tails instead of dust
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 AM
raptureboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aluminium sanding bars, come in different lengths get as many as you can afford, also small spring clamps and bar clamps. I get mine at harbor freight. Go to a swap meet and pick up lots of things cheap. Sadly my local hobby shop is a hobbytown, worthless unless your into foamies and cars.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:06 PM
FlyerInOKC

Foodstick and Raptureboy both have good ideas. If sanding bars are little pricey try checking a local aluminum company for some T stock and cut your own. In my opinion the best razor planes are the Master Airscew and a little German built all metal plane I bought about 5 years ago from Hobby-Lobby. Unfortunately, I don't know where you would find it now. If you plan on doing any building from plans invest in a balsa stripper. For just a few strips you can't beat the Master Airscew but if you plan on doing a lot of strips the same size for planking Hobby-Lobby has one that uses a staple blade you can't eat.

Raptureboy I feel your pain. I have been in places where Hobbytown was it and they are worthless!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of good info here, alot of your needs depend on what you will be building, most of what guys said are the must haves, here are some others you can get along the way, a schroll saw, small bench drill press and bits, a dremell with sanding drum and some small cutters, it will perform wonders on balsa, last but not least a nice and flat building surface large enough to join your wings on

Building will bring great joy, nothing like a plane you built, certain amount of joy there. When you have questions ask them here at RCU there are answers to everything RC.

Good luck on your first build, hope it won't be the last one.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:13 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stanley low angle block plane. Way better than the small hobby planes.

Sandpaper, with several different grits. I like a course grit in a block. Like 60-80.

Razor blades.

Look for a Marples trim saw. It has a replaceable, backless, japanese style blade that is wonderfully effective.

Another cool thing I have been doing is building over glass to protect my plans. One of the best things I have discovered in the last few years.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 AM
LargeScale88

My 4 most important shop tools:

1. Sanding supplies, LOTS of sanding supplies

2. Good glue: Wood and CA glue

3. Some sort of saw/knife

4. Builders squares
Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 PM
carrellh

measuring category http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=RAS
a few individual links
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM406&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL456&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNW32&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBJU0&P=0
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

Carrell, I like the Midwest Craft and Hobby triangle in the last link. I may have to order one myself.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

A bottle of Peroxide; you'll need it.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 AM
teamwilly

G'day FlyerInOKC

The small razor plane from Germany is available here

TW
Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

ORIGINAL: teamwilly

G'day FlyerInOKC

The small razor plane from Germany is available here

TW
Thanks Teamwiily! Looking at it though it's a different brand than the one I have. Mine is made by Solingen. I have discovered I get my best replacement blades from a shave shop that carries German made straight razors and razor blades. The American blades just don't last or cut well.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Zor
Banned

Some day you may wish to buy something like the picture is showing.
It is most valuable to finish parts for good fit prior to gluing.

I waited much too long before getting one.

Suggest you use good wood glue and fillet all the joints; use CA only for tacking.

Also suggest you cover and finish your model with light but strong fabric and genuine aircraft dope.

Best wishes for your build.

Zor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15633.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1864841  
Old 03-21-2013, 11:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

I got one of these and don't know what I did before without it. I lucked into mine from an estate sale.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnDartMike

Peroxide?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Roary m

A bottle of Peroxide; you'll need it.
When the #11 Xacto blade goes the wong place.
Every one already has band aid.

______.

Zor

Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM
badger5964

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about an old Wil-Kro plane? They are long out of production. Paired with a Solingen blade there is nothing better. Check ebay, there is one there now.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 93 Likes on 90 Posts

I've seen lots of good suggestions for tools such as drill press, scroll and band saws as well as the ever valuable Dremel. Two more things that have become must haves for me are a decent sized band saw and a drum/horizontal belt sander. A band saw will do things a scroll saw won't as far as larger pieces go if you're getting into the bigger aircraft. I've found this to be my go to sander, even over my ever present belt/disc like previously pictured, just due to it's versatility: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1000616...71&R=100061671
Old 03-21-2013, 05:20 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are definitely going the right direction on the machines you want. A good horizontal sander is very useful, and the osculating feature will get more life from your belt. You will get lots of discussion on the Scroll saw vs. bandsaw issue. All I can say is buy the biggest bandsaw you have room for and can afford. Overall, the bandsaw is way more effective. If you have a lot of inside cutting ( formers) you may need to get a scroll eventually. They really are not that good at making perfectly straight cuts though. I made the mistake of getting one of those 16" 3 wheel delta bandsaws years ago. The 3 wheels are hard on blades. As a professional, woodworking machinist, I have seen lots of bandsaws. Look for a 14", and focus on high quality guides. A fence and a miter gauge are indispensable accessories as well. Delta does make good ones as well as Grizzley.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 93 Likes on 90 Posts

I won't go into the "Which is better" debate as I have both and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. I tend to look at this argument the same as I would comparing trying to tow a plow or cruise down the freeway, both while driving a Corvette. As far as brands go, I'm personally not a fan of Grizzley but that's me as others swear by them. Getting back to the saws, if room is tight, this might be a good option:
http://www.micromark.com/variable-sp...dsaw,7913.html
If you have plenty of room, one of these might fit the bill:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-14-in...2&blockType=G2 This one I have and use often
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-3-h...1&blockType=G1 This one would be good if you would rather mount the saw to a bench to save floor space
http://www.sears.com/jet-414500k-j-8...&blockType=G71 This one would be good if you're going to cut metals and cost isn't an issue
Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 AM
sensei

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your also going to need a good flat building board with no twist as a basic tool necessity to building model airplanes.

Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.