Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

tape for aileron gap is noisey

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

tape for aileron gap is noisey

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 PM
gbfan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tape for aileron gap is noisey

Hey guys
My kit told me to add this (like scotch tape) included in the kit for the gap in aileron to avoid flutter that much I get
but now it is making a terrible scratchy noise when I operate them. It is the tape making the noise
How do I solve that problem ??

Thanks
david
Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Calvinman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tape for aileron gap is noisey

Hi GBfan,

I usually just use some monocote to seal the gap. I will iron a small strip with the aileron deflected all the way down, that way when the aleron moves it will not be pulling onthe gap filler.

Not sure what to say about the sound you are getting if you can get the tape off without damageing anything maybe you might want to try the monokote gap seal.

Calvi
Old 04-18-2013, 06:17 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: gbfan

Hey guys
My kit told me to add this (like scotch tape) included in the kit for the gap in aileron to avoid flutter that much I get
but now it is making a terrible scratchy noise when I operate them. It is the tape making the noise
How do I solve that problem ??

Thanks
david
[/quote

For the record, sealing the control surface gap is not an insurance policy that will keep the surface from flutter. Flutter is a dynamic issue and although sealing the gaps will make the surfaces more effective, it can in fact and has caused flutter because sealing them changes the dynamics of when flutter can occur, and that can be better or worse. So the best insurance to safe guard from flutter is a tight control linkage system and strong servos. Now you can reduce the noise from the sticky tape by just brushing a little light oil on the already installed exposed sticky tape areas.

Bob
Old 04-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Taping the gap does not necessarily eliminate flutter, it merrily changes the frequency that it will happen as it makes the ailerons slightly stiffer. The stiffer the aileron structure, the higher the frequency at which flutter will occur. Now, everything will flutter (even an iron bar) if the stimulus is of the proper frequency. The only structure that wil not flutter is one with infinite stiffness and no mass ( a physical impossibility).
Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Taping the gap does not necessarily eliminate flutter,"

But it does eliminate the flutter caused by air flowing thru the gap, around the flying surfaces.

Les