Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

BUSA 1/4 Scale Fokker Dr 1

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

BUSA 1/4 Scale Fokker Dr 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:53 PM
akbowen
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've finished painting, other than a few touch-ups. So, I decided to post a couple more glamour shots before disassembling her for the rest of the radio install. Got my pilot and one of my Spandau guns on her.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507[1].JPG
Views:	351
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1971270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0508[1].JPG
Views:	394
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1971271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0509[1].JPG
Views:	420
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1971272  
Old 02-25-2014, 11:13 AM
R/C Ray
My Feedback: (6)

JeffEE,

I like the "scalloped" leading edge sheeting. I often wondered what the purpose of that intertwined tape between the ribs are for?! Maybe you can Shead some light on that for me?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 02-25-2014, 11:16 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R/C Ray
JeffEE,

I like the "scalloped" leading edge sheeting. I often wondered what the purpose of that intertwined tape between the ribs are for?! Maybe you can Shead some light on that for me?

Thanks,
Ray
If you look at drawings of the full scale design, there is really no structure behind the main spar, holding the ribs together. Unlike many aircraft designs, the trailing edge was just a wire (creating that scallop TE). That interwoven fabric, provided that strength, tying the ribs together. Somewhat like an aft spar.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:25 PM
R/C Ray

Vertical,

Thanks for the response. My kit is on it's way along with a GTM cowl. I've got a G38 ready to be set back for that scale look. I'll most likely scallop the LE sheet also. This is a great thread!

Thanks,

Ray
Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by R/C Ray
Vertical,

Thanks for the response. My kit is on it's way along with a GTM cowl. I've got a G38 ready to be set back for that scale look. I'll most likely scallop the LE sheet also. This is a great thread!

Thanks,

Ray
You are going to have to get really creative on the G38 install. It will not fit right side up. I tried. It may work if you cant it over to like a 45 degree angle. Installing it inverted is not a good option, because you will have to cut the rear landing gear wire in half. This is not a good idea as it really compromises the strength of the gear. You will see when you hold the engine over the plans, while moving it back to where you want it. I think it might be possible, but it will take some creativity.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 PM
akbowen

Fully assembled. Balanced. Control throws set. Batteries charging. Here are the last pics before she flys. Tomorrow morning the wind is supposed to be down to 2mph. Sounds like Dr.1 weather to me.
I'll report back, good, bad or ugly.

Name:	IMG_0513[1].JPG
Views:	311
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	1974613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514[1].JPG
Views:	307
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	1974614  
Old 03-03-2014, 05:46 PM
vertical grimmace

Looks great. Congrats on a job well done. It is a lot of work. Good luck with the maiden. I look forward to your experiences.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Waiting with baited breath for the flight report!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:38 AM
akbowen

Maiden flight report: flies great! Very little trim needed. 2 clicks right aileron, 3 clicks down and a bit of right rudder. Practically jumps off the ground. Very stable in the air. Coordinated turns work best. Very gentle stall characteristics. Ground handling was better than I expected. In light wind, I should have no problem taxiing. The only difficulty is the rollout after landing. It wants to turn left, which is not good. I ground looped the first landing. She was slowed down pretty good by that point and no damage was done. I have to hold a decent amount of right rudder after she touches down to keep her point mostly straight. Other than that, she flies great. I have posted video of a takeoff and slow fly-by.

http://youtu.be/K6k6IS9WfJs http://youtu.be/XPLT90JoGko

Name:	IMG_0516[1].JPG
Views:	363
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	1974824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520[1].JPG
Views:	378
Size:	4.35 MB
ID:	1974825  
Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Nice flying!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:28 AM
vertical grimmace

Congrats! I wish I had grass like that to fly off of. My runaway makes it difficult at times.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:40 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great job, it look fantastic in the air!

Rich
Old 03-04-2014, 11:43 AM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice flight! Nice field!,

paul
Old 03-08-2014, 03:15 PM
akbowen

Guys, I couldn't resist posting one more pic. Our club has a big fly-in this weekend each year. The weather was great, and I got in three flights with my Dr 1. A friend took an excellent in-flight photo.

I can't believe how good she flies. I fly IMAC and I don't compliment the flight characteristics of many planes, but I'm in love with this one.

Name:	Fokker.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1976205  
Old 03-08-2014, 03:49 PM
vertical grimmace

AK, did you go with the Dubro wheels or the Williams bros.? I just replaced my Williams bros. with the Dubros, because my bushing plan did not work and I trashed that first set. It was giving me ground handling problems. I am of the opinion that the Dubro wheels are higher quality.

I will be taking my DR1 out to the field tomorrow. I wanna get some flights on her, as I still have less than 10. They sure are fun.

How is the DLE 30 working out? That should be a perfect combo really.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:22 PM
akbowen

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
AK, did you go with the Dubro wheels or the Williams bros.? I just replaced my Williams bros. with the Dubros, because my bushing plan did not work and I trashed that first set. It was giving me ground handling problems. I am of the opinion that the Dubro wheels are higher quality.

I will be taking my DR1 out to the field tomorrow. I wanna get some flights on her, as I still have less than 10. They sure are fun.

How is the DLE 30 working out? That should be a perfect combo really.
I used the Dubro wheels. They seem a bit heavy, but this plane really does not care about that little bit of weight.

The DLE 30 is great for the Dr 1. Gobs of power. I fly at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle mostly. The good thing about the DLE 30 is that the model balanced so nicely with it. The bad thing is that it took some time to modify the firewall for the engine. You could get away without rebuilding the firewall by simply cutting a hole and letting the carb stick into the fuse. But, I built in some right and down thrust when I did my firewall, and the plane needs the down thrust.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:03 PM
vertical grimmace

I found that without the right amount of right thrust, at least with my first one, it would drift to the left at low power settings, making it difficult to line up on final. There are a few tweaks to be made trim wise to get them dialed in. I had a DLE 30 on that first one, and it was a good power choice. I just had a lot of problems with that particular engine, that really gave me fits for the whole season. It was just my engine though. It is the only engine I have ever sent back to get looked at. They replaced the carb, as it was bad. It worked after that.

I actually still have a little issue with my Q35 that I installed. The engine case, where the carb mounts cracked. So it can suck air right there. I JB welded it, but noticed that this joint failed again. My front end is committed to that engine, so I bought another from the Bay. If I have to, I will have to swap engines. The Q 35 is a great engine for this plane though, otherwise. I like the spring start and the mag.

So now that you are all done and you have this great airplane, how do you feel? I always have separation anxiety from the project. I get used to having something to do next. I suppose that is why I always have another project lined up.

Gotta work my little Stab struts tonight a little, but planning to fly mine tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 AM
akbowen

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
So now that you are all done and you have this great airplane, how do you feel? I always have separation anxiety from the project. I get used to having something to do next. I suppose that is why I always have another project lined up.
Yea, I lined up another project today.

That's the 91" Comp-Arf Extra 300.

As far the the Dr 1 goes, I still have machine guns to mount and cockpit combing to install. I plan on doing the ammo boxes for the guns, putting the step for the pilot and hand holds on the fuse. Still a bit to do. As for a next build??? In a month or two I'll get the itch again and pick out another project. It will be 1/4 scale again. Probably the D 7. I would love to do a GTM 1/3 scale or the BUSA 1/3 Albatros, but I don't have room for them, and I can't transport something that big.

Name:	IMG_0524[1].JPG
Views:	300
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	1976399  
Old 03-09-2014, 02:21 PM
vertical grimmace

Yah, the Fokker DVII is a great airplane. I plan on taking mine to the Nats this year. It is more stable than the tripe, and way easier on the ground. It builds a the same as the DR1. You will enjoy it a lot. I agree on the 1/3rd scale. It is just too big to handle. Here is a pic of my DVII.

Name:	SCALE MASTERS 09 074.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1976487  
Old 03-09-2014, 03:41 PM
akbowen

That's a beautiful D 7. The thing I like about the German WWI planes is the variety of great paint schemes. You can do something really cool looking, and it's scale! Also, the Fokkers don't have a bunch of flying wires that take forever at the field to hook up.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:53 PM
vertical grimmace

Thank you. That is actually the photo BUSA added to their catalog to advertise the kit.

GTM still sells the 1/4 scale losenge fabric for the DVII . 4 or 5 color. Just like the scale cowl for the DR1, The losenge fabric is the "thing" that I feel makes them much more scale. The original DVII, (other than maybe the first few) were covered overall in losenge fabric. If any other color is seen on them, it was added as a personal marking by the pilot.

This has been a very tough are to duplicate. The GTM fabric is the best thing going though, and I actually got a kick out of using it. It is old school, applied with dope. Somewhat expensive, but worth it IMO.

There are lots of schemes, and a lot of documentation. It is a very fun subject.

On another note, a fellow pilot had one of those NGH 38cc 4 stroke Gas engines at the field today. It worked very well, and would be perfectly suited for the 1/4 scale WW1 models. At my altitude, it would not be enough for the big DVII, but the smaller sopwiths, and Nueports would be great with it.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:43 PM
chris1971

I just bought a used DR1 and am going to do some mods to it so I need some info on CG for it. Can anybody tell me the CG range? Video of first flight with new radio and smoke install.

Thanks,
Chris

http://youtu.be/M8ztMDSvHyc
Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Answered at the other post, but here it is again
CG on the Balsa USA 1/4 scale Fokker Triplane (from Dave Lewis at BUSA)

The CG should be 3-5/8” back from the leading edge of the top wing. Start with it at 3-5/8” I don’t care how much weight you have to add to get it there, just get it there.

Then after you’ve flown it and gotten comfortable with it you might want to move it back a little (not to 5”) but a little.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:32 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a NGH 38 gas four stroke in one of my Balsa USA DVII's, and I find it a bit on the under powered side. It flies the plane sclae, but thats about it. My Saito 2.20 Nitro burner has a LOT more power than the NGH. The NGH is more like a 30 size gas than a 38. But it runs all day on a tank of gas. I am not knocking the NGH, its a nice motor, I just thought I would put my 2 cents in on the subject.
Hey, Vertical G, did you ever get the chance to put the radiator grill from www.iflytailies.com into a plane? I just ordered mine and would like to know how it went. Thanks.

Last edited by jeffEE; 03-21-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:35 PM
akbowen

Originally Posted by chris1971
I just bought a used DR1 and am going to do some mods to it so I need some info on CG for it. Can anybody tell me the CG range? Video of first flight with new radio and smoke install.

Thanks,
Chris
If you take a look at the plans, the CG should be right at the top of the "arch" in the struts between the top and center wings. That's where mine is, flies well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.