Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

su-31 profile

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

su-31 profile

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:49 PM
DukePiles
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default su-31 profile

i know this shouldn't be in the builders thread, but who better to ask than a builder ? i have had this SU-31 for a while now and decided to get it flying. I started it last night and the wings went well hinged nicely. went to install the stab and assumed it slid in the same way as the wing. i was wrong lol.

the end i have circled is meant to be open but mine was not so being a newbie i assumed it slid in but it didn't fit so i trimmed a lil bit on the fuse towards the leading edge of the stab to get it to fit. slid right in glued it well.

on to the elevator and it doesn't flush up with the stab because of my inexperience. i get to looking at it and realize what went wrong and i know i have to at least take that section out to either take the stab out or open that area up so the elevator can move freely. so my issue is which option i should take. do i need to cut the stab out or just leave it and open it up a bit for the elevator?

Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope this helps, I had done a review on the AW Extra 260 several years ago but no longer have it on file, same plane with just a minor mod. The elevators are put together with a 1/4 inch piece of hardwood and takes up that bit of added room you have. A warning about these planes, the CG is way too far aft for most pilots if you placed it where shown. Most of the guys at my local field either have the Extra or YAK and it is the same for all of them. The plane is a 3-D trainer but if you CG as shown it's just a crash that is going to happen. Other then that it is one of the best flying small planes I have ever had. Mine is still with me. The weak area is where the battery slides into the fuse, it is a bit on the thin side and if you hit the plane on the nose the front of the fuse tends to break off. I installed a break away motor mount and that worked out well except once. Then I rebuilt the front of the fuse with some better wood and all has been well ever sense. It's a real hot rod and does anything you would like. I finally installed a nice tail wheel that steers, just a little thing but it's better then the skid that broke off pretty quickly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2013_1220stab0002.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	1954611   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013_1220stab0003.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	1954612