Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What type of paint for cowl ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What type of paint for cowl ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:52 PM
funnotcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of paint for cowl ?

Have used Lustrecoat before, but the color I want for current project is not made. A contractor buddy of mine says Home Depot can match any color perfectly.
Will water based latex enamel hold up? It will be a glow engine.

Also, anybody have a link for paint schemes for 1930-1950 civilian aircraft?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, water based latex will not hold up on a cowl in a glo powered plane. It will get soft and "gooey". Some of us have had success with Krylon spray paint. Others have used Rustolum spray but I don't care for it as it takes forever to dry. Maybe the latex would work if you seal it with clear coat that is fuel proof. Lustercoat has clear. What color are you trying to match?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:50 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nelson Hobby carries waterborne paint that, with their additive, is fuel proof. http://www.nelsonhobby.com/hobby_paint.php They carry Monocoat colors.

I've only sprayed it, but I have read that the paint is brushable, too.

Here's a link that shows a painted cowl and wheel pants, and then the painted airframe.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gold...-build-29.html

Steve did an excellent job, using Nelson paints.

Last edited by TomCrump; 07-22-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't tried the Nelson paint, I have used the Luster and Klass Kote. KK is bullet proof but after looking at the prices that Tom posted I will be switching to the Nelson. It's really a bunch cheaper then KK and being water proof the clean up should be a lot easier. I don't mind painting but I really hate cleaning my spray guns afterwords.
Painting isn't one of my better skills. {{Understatement!!}} Tom does some very nice work and is a master of masking.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:00 PM
funnotcrazy

I am trying to match a dark cream color of "Chinacote" I could live with the lighter cream color monocote, but they don't make but a few colors of Lustrecote.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:00 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the Home Depot latex for the color and clear coat it with Nelsons Clear coat or Klass kote without any issues. Clear Lustercoat will attack the latex, so should be avoided, at least from my experience.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:54 PM
funnotcrazy

Good Deal! Thanks TomCrump & yel914. I looked at Nelson Hobby paint, glad to know about them. What is Klass Kote ?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:39 PM
SushiHunter

I've had good experience using VHT chemical resistant paint. I had some extra laying around since restoring a classic muscle car, that I tried on the cowling, spinner and canopy which seemed to work out pretty well. I've gotten it from specialty speed shop type of stores but it may also be bought at others as well.

In the picture below, I used this paint on the cowling and spinner to match the cub yellow monokote on the rest of the plane and the "aluminum" portion on the canopy. So far it's held up really nicely for me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01237.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	2016605  

Last edited by SushiHunter; 07-23-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by funnotcrazy
Good Deal! Thanks TomCrump & yel914. I looked at Nelson Hobby paint, glad to know about them. What is Klass Kote ?
Klass Kote is a two part epoxy paint. Goes on as well with a brush as a gun. Easy to use and is the toughest paint I have ever used. It's so fuel proof even acetone won't touch it. Good stuff and being epoxy it doesn't seem to bother any other paint you spray over.
The biggest problem with it is the price!!!!!!! Costs me as much to paint a plane as it does to build it.
Years ago there was another paint on the market called Hobby Poxy, same stuff. To give you an idea of the shelf life on this product, I still have and use three cans of the Hobby Poxy and I can't recall when it was no longer made or sold but I just used a couple of the Hobby Poxy colors over some Klass Kote. Both part Bs work with both part As when mixing.