Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Bridi Big Bee.  OS ft-300 twin? >

Bridi Big Bee. OS ft-300 twin?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bridi Big Bee. OS ft-300 twin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:13 AM
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bridi Big Bee. OS ft-300 twin?

I have an OS 300 twin laying around collecting dust since I sold my Pitts special it was intended for. Looking for airframes for it is not easy. I came across a Bridi kit named the BigBee and was wondering how well the OS would power it. Anybody have any idea? Also is there any modifications that should be made when building the kit?

Last edited by dasquirrelisme; 09-05-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:56 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Big Bee was for a lot of us our first giant scale gas powered plane. Think of it as a big Kaos with the wing on the top. Really a great plane. As I recall I had a Zinoah G-23 in mine and it flew it very well. The weight of the plane if done right is about 10 or 11 pounds so it doesn't take a lot to fly it. It needs some good servos but not any of the new high dollar super servos. It is a really old design, long before digital and high powered. It's just a very nice plane. I noticed it was out of stock at Blue Bird but another nice plane is the Bridi 80 inch Kaos. Last one I had was powered by a small RCS 22cc 140 gas engine and it really flew well.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:58 PM

I am hoping to get some decent performance to do some aerobatics with it. I try to stick with 40-60 size planes but wanted to do something with the 300 twin. I will probably go with some Hitec 645 servos. Bluejay was out of stock but found a kit from putting a wanted ad up and it should be here next week. I found this video on youtube and even though its not a Big Bee I am hoping to get it to perform somewhat like it. I know a ft300 is far from a Moki radial but I will see what it will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr3LioSJ2WQ
Old 09-07-2014, 02:27 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fellow that built mine used it over the years to break in different engines with. It's a 96 inch wing but the weight is that of a big 60 size plane. My 60 size CG Extra is about the same weight and I fly it with a YS 1.20 and it was a practice IMAC plane.
From what I see on the video the fellow was using it to show off his new radial . Something about the big Quadra decal on the side makes me wonder. I don't think you need worry about performance. Mine did it all with just a G-23. Your servos sound about right. I had 645s all around in my 80 inch kaos and that plane allowed me to go nuts!! So nuts I ended up folding the wing, all my bad!! I was showing off.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:54 PM

Nothing wrong with showing off once in a while but bad things usually happen when ya do. I think everyone is guilty of it.

I better beef up the wing a bit. I am going to try to build a 2 piece wing but need to see the plans first before I figure out how to do it.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:49 PM

Ok I have been working on the Big Bee all winter and will be covering it this weekend. The 300 twin was sold but I got an OS radial that I am thinking I might put on it unless I find something at the Perry swap meet I like better.Thats the great thing with this plane is its not much work to switch out engines. I cannot find the control throws in the manual. I have no idea where to start them out at. Anybody have any ideas?