Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hobby King covering

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hobby King covering

Old 01-04-2015, 08:22 PM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby King covering

I recently visited a friends shop. He showed me a roll of covering he purchased from HK. He stated it was the best he had ever used. Now this guy has been modeling since 1955 and built a lot of planes. He stated it shrunk more and would not bubble or lift in the sun. Just wondered if anyone else has any experience using it.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:27 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Gray Beard started a thread on covering with HK covering, he stated that it was great stuff as well. I have not tried it myself yet, but I believe what Gene stated to be true.

Bob
Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All is true, if the iron is hot and you put pressure on the iron and push it like you are ironing clothing then you may get a coloring/glue squish. It just comes right off with a bit of acetone on a reg. It shrinks so well I don't use my heat gun, just turn up the iron a bit and run it over the covering and it shrinks. I set a plane in the sun for an hour at 100 degrees and it didn't sag or wrinkle. It goes on sort of like Solartex, very easy to work with and at 13 bucks for a 5 meter roll it can't be beat.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:19 PM
marmalade1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Value Hobby's wrap on my first build recently (my second covering job). I applied covering to the whole left half of the wing and started ironing one side down. I was sad to see a large diagonal wrinkle and thought to myself that the 15 yr old Monokote I used to cover my last plane would never shrink that much. But I'm happy I tried. It shrank to a wonderful tight fit and has stayed that way for weeks, in storage at least. The only problems I had were of my own making (scratches etc.).

HK and VH often have rebranded versions of the same products (Turnigy seems to be G-force for example). Further, the VH wrap is $12.99 for 15' rather than 6'. I have no intention of going back to other coatings.

PD.