Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Cub Motor Mount Locations?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Cub Motor Mount Locations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 08:32 AM
dtilney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg Cub Motor Mount Locations?

Hi guys,

I'm building the Carl Goldberg 25th Anniversary Cub. Unfortunately the firewall I got with the kit does not have the drill hole locations for the motor mounts. Based on the plans it looks like the top of the upper mount should be positioned about 3/8" from the top of the firewall, but there is no reference for how far left or right it should be positioned. For what its worth, I'm installing a new O.S. 55AX Max. In addition, there is no mention of thrust angle. Any help with the hole locations and thrust angle is much appreciated!

Dan
Old 10-12-2016, 08:43 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Did your engine come with a full size drawing? If so laying it on the plans can be very helpful for deciding where you want to mount the engine. I have built a couple of Cubs ( Sig and Great Planes) but nt the Goldberg. A couple of degrees of down thrust is generally useful on a high wing airplane but be mindful that it may already be designed into the firewall. If you are using the common plastic engine mounts they often have centering marks on the back (firewall side) that are useful for figuring where you want things to go. Most plans have some sort of centerline drawn through the length of the fuselage. For a sport plane like the Goldgerg Cub this will be the easiest to use reference. This line is often drawn through the centerline of the engine.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:14 AM
dtilney

Thanks Matt. I'll refer back to the plans to see if there is any angle built into the firewall. Unfortunately my firewall was supposed to have markings but it didn't have them. If it looks square then I'll likely put a couple degrees of down and right side thrust. Based on other forums it seems that it wouldn't hurt especially for a plane like this one. Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:24 AM
dtilney

Matt - You were right. The full size plans made mention of adding a washer between the left side mounts and the firewall to give right thrust! There was no mention of this in the instructions though and that's how I missed it. Thanks!

Dan
Old 10-13-2016, 08:42 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Glad to help. Sometimes it is that third or forth or tenth look at the plans or instructions where it all becomes clear.