Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

An easy way to dispence Epoxy

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

An easy way to dispence Epoxy

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 12:35 PM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An easy way to dispence Epoxy

Did you ever notice when you use your 2 part epoxy 4oz,or 9oz, when you get half done, you have to sit there and waite for it to slowly make its way to the nozzle. Here is a good tip! I bought 2 Plastic syringes, used for feeding patients directly to there stomach through a tube. The syringe is 1 and 3/8.round,and 5 in long.and holds 2oz. I fill each one up almost to top with each part of epoxy. Works great, no waiting, and no mess. Just cap off nozzle with, what I use is a wire connecter nut. You can buy this syringe at a medical supply store,or a pharmacy. This will work,because it is just a larger scale version of Epoxy that comes with 2 smaller syringes.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:21 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Good idea, but let me throw my system out there. I tape my bottles together. A few minutes before I need to mix glue, I lay the bottles on their sides. Later when the bottles get real low, I prop the bottles against something with the nozzles pointed down: Caps on of course.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't tape my bottles together but when building, like Greg I just tip the bottles or their sides a minute or so before use. It just becomes a habit after awhile.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:22 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And because the two tubes are lying down, you use one, set up up right and when the wife calls you to dinner and you return, you KNOW the tube lying down is the one to add! After mixing part A with part A many years ago, I found out that doesn't work.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Truckracer

Around my house, when glue is being mixed, everything else is on hold. Likewise when the wife is in the kitchen mixing something, I have strict instructions not to bother her! Works well for both of us .. I eat well and the glue gets mixed correctly.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:32 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

I just like experimenting with differant ideas. What ever works,thats all that matters.Ha.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom blue angles
I just like experimenting with differant ideas. What ever works,thats all that matters.Ha.
In retirement, I find new things and ideas all the time and wonder ... " why didn't I try that a long time ago"! All just part of the hobby (and life in general) I guess.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:36 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Im retired also, I just like experimenting with anything that could be improved on.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:37 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is the best way to deal with epoxy glue in my opinion.You get some type of container like a 1/2 gallon ice cream tub. You cut 4 holes in the lid so that you can rest your epoxy upside down on it. The tips go down under the lid, and the shoulder of the bottle keeps the glue from falling thru.. This all depends on cutting the hole the right size obviously ! hahahah

Why four holes? well then you can have your 5 minute, and 30 minute epoxy with all the glue on the pouring end ALL the time. I will usually write a big 5 or 30 on the bottom of the glue so I get the right types mixed together.
Just make sure you don't cut the tip to far back the first time when you get new glue. If you cut it right, they won't drip at all. If you cut it wrong (to far back) , at least its dripping in the tub and not on the bench or floor. Also you might want to throw some sand or some weight in the tub so its not tippy..
This has worked great for me over the years.

Last edited by foodstick; 04-12-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Here's my epoxy tip...The cardboard container Great Planes epoxy comes in already has two correctly sized holes. I just glued a piece of scrap plywood to the bottom of the cardboard container and I simply store my epoxy bottles upside down. Trim away cardboard above the two holes for instant access.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:22 PM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Well, I guess there alot of ways to dispenses epoxy,I like my way because,With the syringes that I talked about, Your epoxy cant drip out of ends even if you dont cap the end off, because you create equal pressure in the syringe and on the outside.The only way it will drip out is if you depress the plunger. I respect everyones opinion here,I just do what works best for me. Thankyou
Old 04-12-2017, 12:44 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you knew how many times I have learned a NEW trick when everyone shares their OLD tricks !

There is no right or wrong on good ideas...
Old 04-13-2017, 11:45 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Thats why this forum is here,for us to share ideas with eachother and our little tips that we discovered while building.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:59 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Sometimes a picture helps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Epoxy Container.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2209531