Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Weighted tail wheels for balance

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Weighted tail wheels for balance

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:48 AM
Skeezix4me

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weighted tail wheels for balance

Good morning,

I have a slightly nose heavy plane that I need to add tail weight to, and was wondering if anyone has found weighted tail wheels for a .40-.60 size model?
Self adhesive lead weights can always be used, but I was hoping for something a bit cleaner.

Many thanks.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

While it doesn't happen often , I have used slightly over sized tail wheels before. Some of the older ones were made with a very heavy hub and rubber tire. You could also possibly move your transmitter pack back if you aren't electric with BEC. I had one plane that I had so over motored I made a access hatch under the stab and mounted my receiver pack there to balance.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Foodstick, Obviously you misspoke. At least I hope so. Explain how moving the"TRANSMITTER pack back" is going to shift the center of gravity rearward? I got a chuckle out of that. I do it myself as well; say one thing, and mean something else!
Old 01-08-2019, 11:34 AM
foodstick

hahahahah, yeah that is a slip up ! However I could have used the TRANSMITTER pack weight on that GB..... Too funny
Old 01-08-2019, 11:34 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

As another idea, I use lead diver B.B. weights. After you figure out what you need, drill a hole in the bottom of the rudder. Mix a slurry of the bb’s and epoxy. Roll hard paper for a funnel, or squeeze the epoxy mixing cup to get it into the hole. Make it big enough, otherwise it is an aggravation. This way it is hidden. As long as it isn’t ounces and ounces. It will make the monokote bulge. Works best with fiberglass rudders. Then fill the hole with a bolt. Or, tape the hole and let the epoxy harden to seal the hole.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:47 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Depending on how creative you are it should be possible to cast up a lead wheel hub. It would probably need a bit of brass tube in the enter to keep it from wallowing out around the axle. The main downside is that it may be too little weight to get the job done.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:34 PM
foodstick

mgnostic, I love that answer, A freaking lead wheel ! simple mold,pour it ...and slap it on the plane.. Maybe you could just slice a huge fishing weight? hahahaha or did they outlaw those yet....
Old 01-09-2019, 05:56 AM
Skeezix4me

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I considered using some 'clamp on' fishing weight on the tail wheel wire......IF they are still made. It's been more than a few years since I visited the fishing department!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:15 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Clamp on fishing weights are still available. Maybe, if you could find a suitable hub, you could bolt on, or cast on some lead?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:04 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezix4me
I considered using some 'clamp on' fishing weight on the tail wheel wire......IF they are still made. It's been more than a few years since I visited the fishing department!
People sometimes build up the tail wheel wire to give the appearance of a scale tail wheel mount using wood or resin. With the creative use of clamp on weights and a little solder and flux you could probably do the same thing in lead.