Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 05:52 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
What no pictures? It didn't happen.
OK Mike, here you go...

All of the filling and sanding is done for now. Applying a second coat of primer will confirm whether I need to address certain areas more... Time spent here will yield the perfect surface on which to lay the paint without having any irregularities telegraphing through the paint.

Along using the complete sanding bar arsenal that I have, my hand with 400 grit paper is always done last. Using your hand will allow you to detect any irregularities on the surface. I wish I could tell you how incredibly smooth it feels.

Last edited by VincentJ; 03-10-2020 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:20 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Are you using Spackle as your filler? It always amazes me how much filling there is on a surface that looks perfectly smooth after the fiberglass is completed.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:48 AM
VincentJ

No I don't ever use spackling, I use spot filler made by 3M.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

Ok like the 3M Acryl Putty No. 05095? I think its available in white, green, and red. I think they sell the same stuff under the Bondo brand with a different number.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:14 AM
VincentJ

Ok like the 3M Acryl Putty No. 05095? I think its available in white, green, and red. I think they sell the same stuff under the Bondo brand with a different number.
Yes, exactly. The Green has a "work time" of 1.5 minutes, the Red is 2 minutes and the White is 2.5 minutes.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...4857497&rt=rud
Old 03-10-2020, 08:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

What is the dry time for the white to get it to a sandable level?
Old 03-10-2020, 10:10 AM
VincentJ

What is the dry time for the white to get it to a sandable level?
About half an hour depending on shop temp...and how thick you apply it.

Last edited by VincentJ; 03-10-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:25 AM
V35BFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been using this (see pic) for years. Always willing to try something new. I like the looks of this 3M™ Acryl Putty in the three
different formulas. Will give it a try next time I need some spot putty.
On another note.....kinda wished I'd never tuned in to this thread. Now you've got me strongly thinking about getting my hands
on one of these TF Bonanzas. Several GS ARFs in the last 10 years helped to scratch the itch as I swore after that mind-numbing
3 year T34C build that I'd never do it again. This is all your fault Vincent (not).
Guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to see if one pops up. But build it as a Model 35!
PS. Most excellent craftsmanship on the nav and strobes!

Last edited by V35BFLYER; 03-10-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Bondo is owned/maded by 3M I think what you have is the same as the white version of the 3M brand just a smaller less expensive tube.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:56 PM
VincentJ

Thanks! I'm happy that you're motivated to want to build one of your own. Be patient and keep checking e-bay, one will turn up for you... It's a lot of work, but I know you're capable and not afraid of putting in the effort.

Last edited by VincentJ; 03-10-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:57 PM
V35BFLYER

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Thanks! I'm happy that you're motivated to want to build one of your own. Be patient and keep checking e-bay, one will turn up for you... It's a lot of work, but I know you're capable and not afraid of putting in the effort.
Gonna steal your nav/strobe idea. Love it, just gotta find a Bic pen....All joking aside, ingenious!
Old 03-12-2020, 05:13 AM
VincentJ

Second coat of primer was applied to the wing. I'm really happy with the results, just a few minor touch-ups on places that need a bit more love...I will address those areas then sand the entire wing with 600 grit paper to ensure an ultra smooth surface before applying the third and final coat of primer, then its time for panel lines!!!

Last edited by VincentJ; 03-12-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:33 AM
VincentJ

Work has continued even though I haven't posted any pictures in quite some time. These are indeed strange and trying times, all schools in the state of NH have been closed until April 3rd to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Dealing with long lines at the grocery stores, as well as making sure I have the supplies I need should I get laid up in my house has been exhausting... I've also stocked up on supplies to work on the details that I have planned for this wing. If I have to be isolated from the population, I may as well get some work done in my workshop! Please stay safe and continue to check the progress on this thread. Maybe it will help bring some relief to your own hectic and stressful life. Again, stay safe and keep washing those hands!!!

Third coat of primer was applied. You will note that I decided to change the color of the primer to white on the last coat. The white will be easier to cover when the time comes to apply the paint, it will also be easier to see the pencil lines that will keep my rivets straight.

It took many hours to get the wing to this point. This was tedious but necessary work, all of the blemishes and imperfections have been rectified, time to start on the panel lines!

Last edited by VincentJ; 03-15-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:45 PM
VincentJ

The lens and LED was installed in the strobe box.

After seating the lens and LED in place, Goop was squeezed into the void surrounding it, locking it into place.

I know that secretly you've been wondering when I would install the 1/4" wing dowels. Today was the day! They were set in place using epoxy.

Last edited by VincentJ; 03-15-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:56 PM
FlyerInOKC

Looking good Vince! I already work from home so there will be no rest for the wicked.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Work has continued even though I haven't posted any pictures in quite some time. These are indeed strange and trying times, all schools in the state of NH have been closed until April 3rd to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Dealing with long lines at the grocery stores, as well as making sure I have the supplies I need should I get laid up in my house has been exhausting... I've also stocked up on supplies to work on the details that I have planned for this wing. If I have to be isolated from the population, I may as well get some work done in my workshop! Please stay safe and continue to check the progress on this thread. Maybe it will help bring some relief to your own hectic and stressful life. Again, stay safe and keep washing those hands!!!
First off, love what I've been seeing in the pictures. Unfortunately, I've not been able to work on anything myself due to being flat on my back with "Influenza A" for the past ten days or so. Wife has been fighting it as well though, fortunately for her, she works from home so she's been able to work partial shifts.
That brings up a question; When do we get to see the plane "fitted together"? I don't know about anyone else but all the "detail work" that no one will see when it's done has me wanting to see the detail work that will be seen when it's assembled.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:57 PM
SA Flyer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like HJ's request about getting a snapshot of the plane in an assembled state. That is, if the photo can be accomplished with minimal effort and zero accident. OTW, I can wait.
Take care. I have stayed home for the past week myself. Well, except for going to the grocery store. Never saw so many empty shelves. Crazy.
Keep up the great progress!
Old 03-15-2020, 07:24 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by SA Flyer
I like HJ's request about getting a snapshot of the plane in an assembled state. That is, if the photo can be accomplished with minimal effort and zero accident. OTW, I can wait.
Take care. I have stayed home for the past week myself. Well, except for going to the grocery store. Never saw so many empty shelves. Crazy.
Keep up the great progress!
I live a block away from my local grocery store (part of a local chain with their own warehouses).. I went up early Friday to get a few things we were missing. They had brought a truck in and a bunch of extra stockers and were all over the place restock the shelves. One of the employees I know told it was the 4th time this week they had to restock the store in this way. The whole chain was having the same problem. To there credit the stuff in their weekly ad was still on sale and no prices had been raised due to demand. The only adjustment was to limit purchases for stuff like TP and bottle water.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:43 AM
VincentJ

Hydro, sorry to hear that your not feeling well. Hope that you get back on your feet ASAP! It's hard not to get your partner sick when you've come down with something, I feel for your situation...

When I can, I'll try to get things assembled and snap a few shots, but right now I'm working on panel lines and getting ready for the enormous task of rivets!!! I'm thankful the tedious job of sanding has been done, not a fun job.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:17 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Hydro, sorry to hear that your not feeling well. Hope that you get back on your feet ASAP! It's hard not to get your partner sick when you've come down with something, I feel for your situation...

When I can, I'll try to get things assembled and snap a few shots, but right now I'm working on panel lines and getting ready for the enormous task of rivets!!! I'm thankful the tedious job of sanding has been done, not a fun job.
Actually, we are both back at work or, in my case, later today. We think we got a flu virus while out shopping as we both came down with the symptoms on the same day. Needless to say, we're not doing any major shopping for a while.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:05 PM
V35BFLYER

Vince,
The suspense is killing me. In post 939 above where you show the back of nav/strobe fixture w/Goop, would
you mind posting a pic holding it in place where it will be attached at the wingtip but right side up? I'm trying to
picture how that'll look.....Thanks!
Old 03-17-2020, 02:55 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by V35BFLYER
Vince,
The suspense is killing me. In post 939 above where you show the back of nav/strobe fixture w/Goop, would
you mind posting a pic holding it in place where it will be attached at the wingtip but right side up? I'm trying to
picture how that'll look.....Thanks!

Here you go!

Old 03-17-2020, 04:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Looks great!
Old 03-17-2020, 04:27 AM
VincentJ

Thanks Mike. I think they're pretty convincing...
Old 03-17-2020, 04:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'll bet hey will be nice and bright too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.