Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Kadet LT 40 Engine?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Kadet LT 40 Engine?

Old 02-21-2021, 07:14 AM
Hakchuma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Kadet LT 40 Engine?

Hi,

I am having trouble getting started in this hobby. I've searched around trying to find a good engine for my LT40 kit but most of the threads that come up are older and I'm not sure how relevent they are. I am so new to this hobby that I don't even know where to start to find the correct engine for my kit. From what i read so far i would want a 4-Stroke .40 - .54 cu. in. (6.5 - 8.8 cc). Can someone provide a link or a couple links to the motor that would work best for this kit preferably in the upper limit of size and power? I don't want to seem lazy, I just and a bit overwhelmed and of all the engines I've looked at so far I don't even know if they would be the right ones to purchase. I'm just asking for a real good push off in the right direction so that I can first understand what engine would work and then look at the specs online and try to learn and understand from there and hopefully go off on my own with knowledge. Thanks you.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:51 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts

My engine recommendation is going to be based on how much help you have. If you belong to a club with knowledgeable people then you could start out with a 4 stroke, if not I would advise you to go with a 2 stroke. Typically a 2 stroke is just a little bit easier to operate and requires less maintenance.

Sadly the engine selections we have these days IMO is pretty poor compared to what we used to have. There are very few current production glow engines that I would buy. I will do some searching on a few classifieds and eBay and will post links here of engines that I think would serve you well. If nothing else it would give you a good idea of what to look for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Webra-40-R-...0AAOSwXh5gMD2x

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Enya-40-RC-...8AAOSw55dgLtze

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HB-Engine-H...IAAOSwQOdf74Ug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OS-Max-46-S...cAAOSweFlgLboS

A couple of new offerings.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product.../OSMG0548.html

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product.../OSMG0957.html

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product.../SAIE040A.html

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 02-21-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:04 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest you get hooked up with a local club. Most likely there'll be someone who can help with any of your building questions and for sure you want to get flying instructions from experienced fliers. Also it is likely that there will be somebody with a used .40 engine that you can get for a song and a dance. Where are you located?

Chuck
Old 02-21-2021, 12:29 PM
Hakchuma

Thank you very much for this list. I will go over the specs of each in hopes of gaining more knowledge. I have printed out an application for my local club online but have to send it to them snail mail. I hope to have my first visit some time in March or April. With the links provided I might just buy one before my first visit to the club though because I'm too excited to play with it. (the engine)
Old 02-21-2021, 12:53 PM
speedracerntrixie

Regarding the engines in the Ebay links, I selected engines I have run in the past ( started flying in 1977 ) that were user friendly and reliable engines. If I were in the market today for a .40 size engine I would either buy the Enya or the HB as my first choices.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:57 PM
tedsander

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

speedracerntrixie gives excellent advice. I'm currently using an LT-40 with an HB engine as a club trainer for instructing. Excellent combination.

If you want recent/brand new, also consider a OS .46 (https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../OSMG0548.html)
OS has always been noted as being a bit overpriced, but their main line models (not economy) are very good to excellent. And being a current model, if parts are needed they are more available.

If you do get one early, read up a lot on proper break-in. And the process is different for one with a piston ring vs. one with an "ABC" piston/sleeve. It can be all too common for a new owner to run the engine too lean (or even too rich for an ABC version) in the early stages, which can at worst damage it so that it never runs correctly. In either event, count on having to run several tanks of fuel through it on the ground, before it is ready for flight. More for a ringed engine, fewer for an ABC.
Best advised to stay away from used engines, unless from someone that will work with you on it (like buying from a club member). Buying blind, you never know whether it is just used, or has been damaged through misuse.

Those of us with experience know well what to listen for when setting up an engine. Until you too learn, plan on buying a tachometer to assist in telling you where you are at in adjusting the needle valves, if going it alone.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:18 PM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The current OS 35 would also work for a Kadet LT40.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:31 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by ramboy View Post
The current OS 35 would also work for a Kadet LT40.

Power wise yes, but may require a bit of ballast in the nose. The LT is a fairly large airplane and Sig kit wood can be a bit heavy. One of the reasons I threw out the HB and Enya engines is that they fit the weight profile well.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:23 AM
Gavionics

Hi I have the Kadet LT40 i picked it up not long ago the previous owner set as electric i want to covert gas not glow
im thinking of the saito fg11 or Ngh gt9
any advice will be appreciated
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2021, 09:43 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You got some great advice above. If you are dead set on a four stroke and have help tuning a Saito .72 is a very reliable and strong power plant. Another thing to keep in mind the throttle linkage is harder on a 4 stroke. The carb is in the rear and there is not a lot of room.

David
Old 02-22-2021, 10:31 AM
Gavionics

Thank you so much I think I will go with the saito .72, Im not new to 4 strokes I have used them for a while. Im just new to the sig lt40 airframe I got this to setup as a gas trainer for my nephew he is good with electric foamies and this will be his first gas.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:36 PM
init4fun

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hakchuma View Post
Thank you very much for this list. I will go over the specs of each in hopes of gaining more knowledge. I have printed out an application for my local club online but have to send it to them snail mail. I hope to have my first visit some time in March or April. With the links provided I might just buy one before my first visit to the club though because I'm too excited to play with it. (the engine)
With all due respect to your enthusiasm for the hobby, if you are sincere about joining your local club for flight instruction the ONLY money you should be spending now is to buy a good RC flight simulator for your computer, and save the spending on anything else till you join the club and find out what type of plane the club's instructor prefers to train students with. For instance, they may only train with electric powered planes, leaving your Kadet to be your second airplane instead of your first if you build it with an engine instead of a motor.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:35 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I looked after I posted and realized they no longer make the 72. The 82 however is available in glow or gas. It's the same external size as the 72. I've owned a 82 glow in the past. It's as good as the 72 IMHO.

david
Old 02-22-2021, 07:34 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
With all due respect to your enthusiasm for the hobby, if you are sincere about joining your local club for flight instruction the ONLY money you should be spending now is to buy a good RC flight simulator for your computer, and save the spending on anything else till you join the club and find out what type of plane the club's instructor prefers to train students with. For instance, they may only train with electric powered planes, leaving your Kadet to be your second airplane instead of your first if you build it with an engine instead of a motor.

There is some validity here as some instructors will have preferences however if an instructor declines to instruct anyone based on his preferences in airplane or power source, I would find a different instructor.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:21 PM
Gavionics

Awesome I will pull the trigger on the 11cc
thanks
Old 02-28-2021, 07:02 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
There is some validity here as some instructors will have preferences however if an instructor declines to instruct anyone based on his preferences in airplane or power source, I would find a different instructor.
I agree. An instructor really should be open and experienced in many aspects of teaching. It should start with safety and how to safely operate an engine, especially if the student is supplying his own plane already equipped.

A simulator is a great tool, but it's only one tool in the box of teaching. Hands on, example, and application, along with a sim go a long way for dedicated students.