Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Surface prep before primer

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Surface prep before primer

Old 09-25-2021, 10:00 AM
rkcruit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surface prep before primer

Hey everyone,

I have a plane covered with Koverall and nitrate dope and will be priming with Klass Kote. What do folks use to clean the surface before primer? I've heard people mention alcohol, reducer, or some product called TSP. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Ken

Old 09-25-2021, 05:22 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

You really dont need to remove / clean any contaminants unless the surface has got dirty / greasy / contaminated for some reason. Id just very lightly sand the nitrate surface, remove dust with compressed air and a tac rag and apply the KlassKote primer.
The following users liked this post:
rkcruit (10-10-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 09:35 AM
carlgrover

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah what he said. You don't want to mess around with any type of solvent on Nitrate. It might attack it and make a mess. Make sure you wait a couple of weeks after the last coat of nitrate went on before you hit it with the primer. Otherwise, the nitrate might still be degassing and the bubbles will show up in your primer. I usually stick my nose in the nitrate and if I don't smell it, i'm ready.

carl
rkcruit (10-10-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 12:43 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

TSP is Tri Sodium Phosphate, a basic cleaner used mostly for cleaning raw wood decks and teak decking on boats, I would avoid using it because it can most assuredly leave a dusty residue, besides the fact you're have to dilute it in water for it to work,,, Not anything I would use in a model building/painting application
rkcruit (10-10-2021)