Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Heat activated glue for covering

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Heat activated glue for covering

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 04:57 AM
amsharma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat activated glue for covering

https://brodak.com/stix-it-heat-activated-covering-adhesive-8-oz.html

Is this the best option it there are more .
Kindly provide links for other options.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2022, 09:31 PM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have successfully used different PVA adhesives for this, ranging from so called covering-specific adhesives such as Balsaloc, CoverLoc, to general wood glues like Bison wood glue and Elmer’s.

The Elmer’s was also great for ironing on 3/32” & 1/16” Balsa covering on wing and fuselage.

Experiment first on scraps with your specific materials and iron for best results.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:39 AM
mgnostic

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

I find that Stix-it type adhesives work well with two draw backs. First is the fumes. It is a solvent based adhesive and you need good ventilation when applying it. The second is that if you get it on you covering iron it requires removal using the same solvents to keep the fabric from sticking to the iron.
I have also used PVA based products, in my case "Modge Podge" . In my experience, it is best to iron to the PVA based products within a day or two of application. The more time the PVA has to cure, the less responsive it seems to be to ironing. You can iron to Stix-it a year later and it will still adhere.
I find that applying a sanding sealer before using a covering adhesive helps to reduce the amount of adhesive needed.
Many full scale aviation products have modeling applications. It is hard for me to guess what is available in your area but aircraft supply companies often do sell small quantities of of their products for repair purposes. For example, in the US I have purchased from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. I don't know what is available in India but surely there is some equivalent.
EF's point about practicing on scraps is very important. It is not a difficult thing to learn but applying fabric over glue does take some technique.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:41 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I find that Stix-it type adhesives work well with two draw backs. First is the fumes. It is a solvent based adhesive and you need good ventilation when applying it. The second is that if you get it on your covering iron it requires removal using the same solvents to keep the fabric from sticking to the iron.
You can use old linen handkerchiefs and wrap the iron, pull them tight and tie them. The iron won't be quite hot enough to char them, and they will slide over the Koverall or whatever you use. Once the handkerchief gets messed up enough to be an issue, cut it off and replace it. You may be able to find specific covers for your iron, as well, but the handkerchiefs will be cheaper. Old tee shirts will also work, or a cotton sock.

As for the smell, circulate the air in the room , and hold your breath.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:59 AM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have used spray adhesive; not the heavy adhesive.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:06 AM
jduino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Balsaloc with success, and recently read of people painting on diluted white glue, let it dry, then iron.