Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Oratex painting questions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Oratex painting questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 09:41 AM
smilam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oratex painting questions

I bought a couple of rolls of antique Oratex to cover a Smoothie XL. I had looked at a some Oratex at the local hobby shop and decided on the antique color and then planned on painting my trim colors with an airbrush. I did all of my measuring and layout and knew that I could cover it with two 5 meter rolls. I asked the hobby shop to order two rolls of the antique color so that both rolls would be from the same dye lot. When they came in I laid out all of the pieces on the material and cut them out. To my disappointment when I separated the material from the backing and applied it to the wood I discovered that you could see the balsa wood grain and wood joints right thru the material.
Now I am going to have to paint the whole airplane. The last three that I painted I painted with rattles cans of Rustoleum but I had to rig up a temporary spray booth in my garage each time. One I did in the winter but I had to set up two heaters in the garage to get the temperature above 50 degrees. The other two I had to wait for the temperature to warm up before I painted them. The fumes prevented me from painting them in the basement and even in the garage I had to open the garage doors some and use a fan because of the fumes.
I have read about using latex house paint with good results but they have always sprayed it on and I don’t have any spray equipment and it will be to cold to spray it in the garage for a few months and if I wait for it to warm up I might as well use Rustoleum again. My question is has anyone brushed on latex paint with a brush. I am looking for a smooth finish, I don’t want to see brush strokes but if I can brush on latex paint I would be able to paint it in the basement now and not wait for it to warm up outside.