Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hobby tablesaws

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hobby tablesaws

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 12:59 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Hobby tablesaws

For those who actually have a mini or micro hobby tablesaw, what kind do you have, and what do you like and dislike about it?

I am looking for personal experience, and not links to reviews.

With a full size tablesaw and bandsaw, plus a Dewalt scrollsaw, I am quite capable of advanced cuts, but those big blades chew up a lot of very expensive hobby wood. I can't believe I built for 40+ years without having a tiny tablesaw. It would make some things sooo much easier and better. Finding and the cost/effort to make an old Dremel tablesaw become functional and productive isn't something I want to pursue through a restoration project. I see quite a few choices on ebay with nice features, but lacking a name brand, and the el cheapo Harbor Freight one that seems to have no fence, so I am hoping that some members can relate their personal experiences with some of these saws.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:25 PM
imcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a Dremel 4inch table saw and love it. ebay usually has some there is a guy that sells them names bill he is in florida, he cleanes them up good.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:22 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Update:

I just learned that all of the inexpensive mini tablesaws do not have tilting blades. I can't believe it took me this long to realize that. Duh.

That's why I never bought one - because the good ones with tilting arbors were and are expensive. I wish I would have, though. A little Dremel one would have still been serving me well decades later.

I'm not paying $350 and up for a new higher end tilting arbor saw like a Proxon or Micromark, so that pretty much narrows me down to finding a used Dremel one on ebay. Like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35459848957...Bk9SR8zrnoDOYQ

About $200 shipped, and I probably have to make a fence and miter gauge for it. At least Radical RC sells some parts and accessories for them.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:52 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Outrider6
I have been building since the 1940's and have yet to need a circular table saw (but that's me) I have found many saws at swap meets most beneath $100 I have three and not one has let me down. I like the Dremels because the blades can be rotated in different directions to made long cuts. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2023, 08:38 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I have a 4" Dremel table saw that is as old as the hills, it was well used when I got 25 years ago. I get carbide tipped blades for it at Harbor Freight. It cuts well unless the stock gets too thick. Replacement belts have been found at an industrial supply house and for a short time I used a large "O" ring.
I also have Dremel scroll saw with side out put for the disk sander or slow speed rotary tool. I bought at Montgomery Wards in the early 80s. It was on close out and the price was half off. Sears did still sells the blades for it and I stocked up about 5 years ago. Like the table saw it has limited power so I use both for balsa, liteply, and plywood up to 3/16" but that is pushing it.
I have a 8" table saw (another used tool) and jigsaw for larger stock. I have considered a narrow band band saw for years but haven't made the investment yet.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:55 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A number of years ago I purchased the Mini Chop Saw from Harbor Freight. It has turned out to be invaluable in my builds now. Once set up, it make nice clean, precise cuts. I use it a lot.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-m...saw-62136.html

Given that, they do have a 4" table saw which I have no experience with. No bells and whistles, but for the price it may be something to look at, depending what your trying to do with it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-h...ade-61608.html
Old 03-02-2023, 01:36 PM
FlyerInOKC

I generally use my 4" tablesaw to rough out pieces and the take them over to the full size belt/disk combo sander for the final sizing. I think I get them as close as you can get without using a CAD program and a laser cutter.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:32 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All I use for cutting is a small miter box and back saw (hobby sized), and a Dremel Scroll saw. If I need to rip something I just clamp a straightedge to the table of the scroll saw for a fence. I get better control (variable speed) and a very narrow kerf with the scroll saw. I have a tabletop bandsaw but rarely use it for aircraft building.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

Love it!