Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Are there differences between old and new Royal P-38 kits?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Are there differences between old and new Royal P-38 kits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 11:14 AM
Scratchie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are there differences between old and new Royal P-38 kits?

I want to build a Royal P-38 and have been looking at pics of kits for sale. Do the older royal kits have foam parts? Are there differences between the older kits (that came in a blue-striped box without a picture of the airplane) and the newer kits?

Anything I should be aware of before shelling out too much cash for a kit? Why a Royal kit – because the 74”ws works well for me and I want it to be somewhat scale.

btw, have one for sale?
Old 03-14-2023, 05:35 PM
7aso
My Feedback: (27)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There is no difference between the old kits and new kits besides the packaging and plans. In fact, the older ones with the blue stripes actually came with pictures on the box but they were glued on and came off over time unlike the newer ones where they were all created on one single label.

How much experience do you have with kit building? Royal kits are not for beginners and require a lot of sanding and carving. They were over engineered and always came in heavy when completed, but once completed, you stand back in awe and admire their scale lines.

I don't believe I've ever seen any Royal kits come with foam parts, however, there are websites that provide vacuumed formed parts for the P-38 to save you time on carving and sanding.

Do a simple search on these forums and you'll get an idea of what to expect from these kits.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:45 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree with 7aso. They are typically tail heavy because the tail feathers are solid balsa instead of built-up. I thought about drilling them out some on my Midi Corsair.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:15 AM
Scratchie

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I agree with 7aso. They are typically tail heavy because the tail feathers are solid balsa instead of built-up. I thought about drilling them out some on my Midi Corsair.
Royal won't be a problem, I've been building since I was 12 - working on a Grumman Goose short kit now. The Goose will be my first electric, P-38 my second unless I build an L-39 edf.

Old 03-15-2023, 12:46 PM
7aso
My Feedback: (27)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well it looks like you're familiar with building. I'm surprised you never built a Royal/Marutaka kit before especially since they've been around for over 30 years.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:15 PM
Scratchie

I had a Royal B-17 on the table, ready to build. I replaced the metal engine cowls with ones I vacuum-formed out of styrene, had all new plastic canopies. But then a spitfire came across my path and well, who can turn their nose up at a spitfire...

The B-17 is in waiting along with a Jack Stafford B-24.