Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Royal Bearcat Build - Electric

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Royal Bearcat Build - Electric

Old 11-23-2023, 01:07 PM
Kelsey_B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Royal Bearcat Build - Electric

Hello, I started this hobby back in the mid 90s, but have been out of for a long time. Decided to get back into it and was digging into my kits trying to decide on a project. I kept seeing the Bearcat kit and thought that was a cool looking airplane, but was concerned about coolng a nitro motor and came to the conclusion that electric power could simplify some of those issues. I'll admit that I have been anti electric for a long time, but I haven't given it a fair shake, and the technology is better than it used to be. This kit is good size for an electric motor, and thought others might like to see my attempt at this old kit. I would appreciate some recommendations for a strong power system for this model. I will make a few changes such as alignment tabs on the ribs, concealed linkages, and a hatch on the top of the fuse.
Old 11-23-2023, 01:14 PM
Kelsey_B

This drawing shows a rib from the kit and my changes to the rib. I am adding cutouts, and adding a tab that will self center. The instructions state to draw a center line on the rib and glue it to the spar while keeping the center level with the table. I added the tabs to make this part easy. They get cut off later
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ribs1.pdf (3.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-23-2023, 01:22 PM
Kelsey_B

Like most kits, the wing is built on top of the plans. The bottom spar is pinned to the work surface and the ribs are glue in place. Step one was to glue a balsa center section to the spar, and glue ribs in place. I made a diehedral gage for the W1. It is made with a 5.5 degree angle as shown on the drawing. Sorry for the poor lighting on these

Old 11-26-2023, 01:42 PM
Kelsey_B

TE sheeting added to top and bottom of wing. A bevel was added to bottom and top sheeting to for a sharp edge. The result of using the tabs provided a straight wing. A pic looking down the TE of the wing is shown. The aileron was cut out next

Old 11-26-2023, 01:47 PM
Kelsey_B

I want to not have any visible control horns, so I am going to use an Idea I saw in another build thread. I took a pic of the hinges on a Bearcat a few years ago
Old 11-26-2023, 01:57 PM
Kelsey_B

I cut the aileron back to accept a 1/4 balsa LE and a 30 degree angle. I made hinges from 1/16 G10. A 1/16 wire will be inserted thru the hinges. Inner yellow tubing from some Gold-N-Rod is glued to bottom skin of the aileron

Last edited by Kelsey_B; 11-26-2023 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:03 PM
Kelsey_B

The finished alieron is shown, and it falls down under its own weight when attached to the wing

Old 11-30-2023, 04:23 PM
Kelsey_B

I originally had a plastic horn attched to the front of the aileron, but this provided limited up aileron movement. I modified if to use a ball link, and now I can get 45 degrees up and down aileron. I know that amount is not neeeded, but I wanted it to work well

Old 12-03-2023, 06:09 PM
Kelsey_B

Aileron cut out from wing and capped with 1/4 balsa. Hinges glued to wing TE and LE of the aileron.