Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 Global A1 Skyraider Kit ??? >

Global A1 Skyraider Kit ???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Global A1 Skyraider Kit ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global A1 Skyraider Kit ???

Is it worth obtaining the Global A1 Skyraider Kit to build ?
Has anyone out there built and flown this kit ?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 03:49 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Global A1 Skyraider Kit ???

I have one still in kit form so can't say how it builds but I have seen one fly and it's awesome!!! It tracks like it's on rails and does things the full size one could never do.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:18 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of our club old-timers, who is a master builder, did one. He said it was a major PITA; so-so wood, not-so-hot parts fit, etc. The finished product looks good, and flys okay.

But he said it wasn't worth the effort involved to make it good.

FWIW...

Steve
Old 10-09-2003, 06:51 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I didn't know Global is now making a Skyraider kit. If so, where can I buy one? I know Global used to make one (I built and crashed it) but discontinued that version some years ago.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:14 PM
My Feedback: (39)

Global does not sell the Skyraider kit anymore. They only offer the ARF now. I'm not sure if it is the same design as the original kit. It is about the same size however. Heritage Models was bought by another company, forget the name, but they offer a 60" Skyraider, very nice wood and well designed. I've seen them advertised in the major mags from time to time.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Old 10-09-2003, 07:46 PM

Art....you wanna sell it ?
Old 10-09-2003, 08:19 PM

I helped a friend of mine build a Skyraider it was a Global kit we didn't have any problems with fit of parts it only took us about 6 weeks from the time we started to get it to the covered stage we are now trying to decide what paint schem to paint it
Old 10-10-2003, 08:10 AM

Hello Guys:
I gots me one o' doze. It is partially assembled by someone else. I will eventually get to it. However there was a lot of issues with broken elevators. The kit's elevator is built up and sheeted. The fix usually was to glass the surface. I think if the sheeting was upped 1 size would suffice. Otherwize selecting hard balsa might work. I recall this was one of the fixes. My mind is getting mushy with age. So I cannot remember all of the fixes. As I recall the strapping tape with the strings in it was also used.
However you guys do it I reccomend you beef up the horizontal stab. I hope this helps.

M Shuman
Old 10-10-2003, 09:37 AM

The fellow that I am working with on the Skyraider put flying wires on the Tail surfaces
Old 10-10-2003, 01:30 PM

Hwey RTW:

Yea I guess that flying wires would do the job. But it would look like doo-doo. Real plane did not have them. I have thought some about it. Hows about glassing it and painting the whole plane? The glass could be 1 1/2 oz or 2 ounce on the stab. And 1/2 or 3/4 oz on the rest.
I think that you could also very easily build a spar into the tail assembly. Maybe a 3/8 wide piece of balsa from tip to tip should do it.
Just a few more suggestions I thought up lately. Hope this helps

M Shuman
Old 11-26-2003, 08:24 AM

I have 3 global sky raider kits.

1. I'm flying, What a dream. I am not a great pilot, but it does everything I want. I let a friend of mine who is a great pilot and hates warbirds "wring it out" and he offered to buy it. I said nah. It is powered with an Saito 91 4 stroke.

2. Building in process (slowly) Have the fuse almost complete. (Hoping to make this a scale comp plane)

3. NIB that I picked up @ a swap meet last year for $ 75.00. What a deal.

I have a bunch of other planes in the hanger but the Skyraider is always in the van as a backup in case of a mishap with whatever else I brought to fly.

Do I like Global Skyraiders? You becthum.

Bill
Old 11-27-2003, 01:24 AM

I have the Global kit and it's the next one on the building board in early spring. I am going to bash mine into a A-1E fat face with 13 bombs hanging off the wings & fuse. Minnesota Fats will be finished in Nam camouflage.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:08 AM

Taildrager,

Scuse my ignorance, but what is a A1-E fat face? What makes it any different from the Raider I'm flying?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Bill
Old 03-14-2005, 02:00 AM

Happynicky,

I have just rebuilt a Global skyraider that a friend of mine crashed. I am afraid to try to fly it. It is taking a pound and a half of lead in the nose to balance it. I have the battery in the nose on top of the engine mounts and the reciever under the tank. The servoes are as far forward as I can get them. I have an OS 91 FS in it, and it is weighing twelve and a half pounds. I filled in the lightening holes in the fuse with light balsa and glassed it. I silked and doped the wing. It turned out beautiful, but I really wonder if it will fly. Any information you could give me about how much yours weighed and how it flew would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron Ramer
[email protected]
Old 03-15-2005, 06:18 PM

Ron,

Here is what I came up with.

My plane weighs in at 10 # on the nose.

I have a small piece of automotive wheel weight screwed to the fire wall. ( perhaps 2 ozs,)

I have an aluminum Higly nut in front of the prop.

My receiver & battery are jammed as far forward as possible.

My cg is 4 1/2 inches from the leading edge.

I am using a Saito 90 4 stroke for power.

It is not the fastest bird I have ever flown, but it is a warbird and it flies realistically and as if it were on rails. It will do a lot of manuevers that warbirds were not intended to do.

With that said, the plans book says that it should come in at 7 1/2 to 9 #.

You said that yours weighs in at 12 1/2#. [][][]

This is were I am no expert.

I think by glassing that bird you may have made it too heavy for a 90 2 cycle, I don't know.

But if your plane is balanced properly and with adequate power it should fly well.

Good luck, if I can be of further help, let me know.

Bill
Old 03-15-2005, 10:21 PM

Bill

Thanks for the info. The fellow that originally built the model thought the wings were a little short so he added six inches to the center section, so I do have a little extra wing. I tried to put my 120 in it this morning but can't get the cowl mounting ring over it. Now I really don't know what to do. I like that idea of a heavy hub, except the prototype did not have a hub.
Oh well. If you come up with any suggestions let me know.
Thanks
Ron
Old 09-22-2008, 03:52 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, this years after this thread ended but- I sure need a set of plans of the Global Skyraider and I will buy any usable spare parts or anything that may be reusable. I need the gear, the canopy all the vaccuformed bit. Hopefully someone will respond.

Thanks

Paul
Old 09-22-2008, 05:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Paul,

A member (trouch) here in California posted on my Skyraider thread over in the Warbirds Forum and said he had a Global kit which had been started but he was not going to finish. He offered for me to pick it up, so you may want to contact himm and see what he has available.

I'd offer mine, but I'm using everything except the gear and the plastic cowling and I was thinking about using the plastic cowl to mock-up the cut outs for the nice one I got from Fiberglass Specialties. You can see my thread here: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7276786/tm.htm]Global Skyraider Build[/link]

Good Luck