Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Repair Question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 12:11 PM
dega500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair Question

While practicing my crosswind landings Saturday, I ran my LT-40 off the side of the runway. Our runway has a slight shoulder and the plane would not easily return to the runway. I was hesitant to run the throttle up enough to jump it since the plane was pointed at the pits and I didn’t want to take a chance of it getting away so I waited till all was clear, walked out to the plane and gave it a push on the vertical stabilizer. Well, when I did I heard a slight pop[X(]. Upon further investigation it appears that the stab joint has popped loose on one side only from the leading edge back about 4 inches. I thing I can get some thin CA up under the joint and maybe some medium. Or, should I remove it completely and re-glue the joint?

Thanks

Mike
Old 11-24-2003, 12:15 PM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Repair Question

It would be better if you can remove it and re-glue the whole thing. That way you know you have a good glue joint all the way through.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Kaos Rulz

Mike,

This is a herd one to be definitive on without seeing the damage, however, I would try the thin CA first, so long as you can get a tight joint with the stab to fuse. If this is not possible, or the thin CA does not work, then "no harm-no foul". Remove the stab and re-glue the whole assembly with epoxy.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:38 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would just get some Medium CA under it, but then, add some tri-stock to both sides. The LT-40 is notorious for this flaw.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:03 PM
dega500

Thanks everyone. I actually cut out and shaped the tri-stock to put around the vertical stab when I built it but decided not to use it on the advice of my instructor. I have many many flights on this plane without incident. Just wasn't thinking when I grabbed the stab and pushed.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:27 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is a weak point on the kadet...i pinned mine (when i had one) with 3 wooden dowels which make it much stronger.