Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

easy kit to learn on

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

easy kit to learn on

Old 12-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy kit to learn on

what is an easy trainer or 2nd airplane to learn to build ...on.. ill prolly have someone cover it for me...prolly 60 size...i am already in training on a LOVELY 40 sized avistar arf...
Old 12-13-2003, 08:01 PM
cappio777
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: easy kit to learn on

If you finish training on the avistar to the point of mastering every landing with no problem then you could move to a low winger like a Fourstar 60, CG Tiger 60, GP Big Stik 60 and a Easy Sport 40. They are all easy to fly and land given you have mastered the basics with a trainer aircraft.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:03 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I'll second the 4 Star. Also note the Venture Star..
Old 12-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Gary496

I to, am in training, with a 40 superstar. I have a tiger 60 95% completed. It is my first kit and was an easy build. Don,t be afraid to cover it your self. Mistakes are easy to fix. I also purshased a VCR tape from Moncote, an instructional tape. It gave a rookie like me some good info. Go for it.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Balsa Master

covering isnt as hard as it looks. anything made by sig is easy to build and has excelent instructions (to the best of my knowlege any way) the plans alone are so good, you may not need the instructions (half joking, wouldent advise this on frst plane)
Old 12-15-2003, 10:32 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Four Star 60...........Period !
Old 12-15-2003, 10:40 AM
N8theSk8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a Great planes super sportster. it was a pretty easy build and is a nice flying airplane. The SIG Four Star is also a great kit.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:55 PM
Garthwood

The GP East Sport 40 is easy to build and fly. It's an excellent second plane/shoulder wing...semi symetrical wings. I learned how to fly on the Avistar ARF, semi-symetrical wings. The Easy Sport landing characteristics are similar to the Avistar, they both like a bit hot landings, but they're great to fly. I also had CG Eagle 2, nice kit to build, flat bottom airfoil, lands very nicely, but quite different than the two above. Good luck on your choice. Regarding your covering, take it slow, all you need is some confidence. You'll be just fine. Building and covering is part of the hobby. At some point you gonna ding that wing, so you need to know how to fix that, which includes the covering. Just patch it up and keep on flying. It's really fun.
Garthwood
Old 12-15-2003, 05:05 PM
CraigM

I learned on a trainer and built the Tiger 60 as my first kit. It was easy to build. If you have questions, there is probably someone who can help in your club. It is a great flyer and handles the wind quite well. I was not an experienced flyer and had to lay off flying for over a year. When I started again, I started on the Tiger 60. I flew with an instructor a few times and found the Tiger to be a good low wing trainer. It handles windy conditions as well as any plane at our field. In fact, although it flys different than a trainer it is really easier to fly once you get used to the differences.

Craig