Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Page Aviation Kits

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Page Aviation Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Cubguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Page Aviation Kits

Does anyone out there have experience with Page Aviation out of Canada. They sell a number of kits including the GeeBee R2. How does it build and how would you rate the quality of the kit. Is the overall company customer service good or ? Thanks to all who can help with a little information.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Page Aviation Kits

Adrian Page is a standup guy! I bought his GBZ kit from Hobby Hanger (now no longer available from them only direct from Adrian..which is better) at any rate, I read on his website that he had improved the building instructions and asked him if I could buy his improved instructions...he said I could have them for free and he sent them to me at his expense asking for nothing in return. I would not hesitate to purchase any of his kits as they are top quality and the customer service is the BEST in the business. I wish he would do the world a favor an design a 1/5th scale Aeronca Champion 7AC. Please Adrian!

Yak
Old 01-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

I've built his R2 and it's an excellent kit. The laser cutting is perfect, the wood is good, the structure is well thought out and the instructions are clear. I ordered mine direct also.
He's aparently a one-man show. When I called to order, a woman said "Hello?" and I asked "Is this Adrian Page Aviation? I'd like to place an order." and she said, "Just a minute..........ADRIAN!!! TELEPHONE!" lol!
Old 01-07-2004, 09:35 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I built his 1/5 R-2 last winter, flew it this summer and just ordered his 1/4 scale kit yesterday.
In my 1/5, the wood was very good, the instuctions and plans are good but you do have to study them closely and pay attention to what you are doing.
The hardest part (for me) was getting the rudder/fuselage joint right. It is not hard but requres some patience. and looks sooooo nice when done.
The plane flies REALLY well but does have a tendancy to flip over on landing. It is kind of strange, it does not flip over at touch down but rolls almost to a stop and (while you are congratulating yourself) then just sort of noses up and over.
Talked about this with Adrain Page (while ordering the new kit) yesterday and he thinks raising the wheel pants to keep them clear of the grass would help a lot.
To summarize a long post ( I am busily making it longer) I think they are fine kits
Old 01-07-2004, 12:06 PM
VinceL

I built the R2 kit from Page over the last couple of winters in between a couple of other projects.
His kit is wonderfull from the perspective of wood and parts fit. You need to be really comfortable with your ability build from plans and solve problems if you decide to do a Gee Bee.
I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the kit but one does need to spend lots of time looking at the plans and pictures and then figuring out exactly what to do and how it's done.
Adrian is a real gentleman and does stand behind his kit. I made a real boneheaded mistake and needed a new fuse crutch and bulkhead kit. Contacted Adrian and he said he would see what he could do for me. I didn't hear anything back and was beginning to be frustrated when a package showed up with the parts, no bill. I would buy a kit from him again without question. I wouldn't advise this kit for anyone just beginning to build.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Gbee

I built the Gee Bee R2 and the NewBee with floats. Good wood and good laser cutting. The instructions are sparse, but I read in another post on RCU someone rewrote the instructions for the R2 and they're available via email. Adrain is a great guy and responds promptly to emails. IMO, not a good 2nd kit
Old 01-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Cubguy

Hi guys, thanks to all who responded. Sounds like a good company to do business with. I will order the 1/4 scale Gee Bee R2. Looks like a great plane , very scale like.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:34 PM
trailerparkdave

I built the GEE BEE Z from scratch using Adrian's plans purchased from RCM. He offered me much support and help as I was building this great plane (my first scratch built airplane). I am going to order the 1/4 scale soon and know I can rely on Adrian.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:22 PM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

Does anybody have his website addy handy.

Thanks
NdFrSpeed
Old 01-23-2004, 03:00 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.adrianpage.com/
Old 01-24-2004, 08:43 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cubguy,
Just to reiterate what the other guys said, Adrian Page is a class act. I'm waiting right now to finish one project before I start my Gee Bee Z. When I ordered it he told me to be sure to call him if I have any questions while I'm building. He's knowledgeable, personable and very easy going. The world could use a few more guys like him.
Oh yeah, I can't wait to start this kit! it looks GREAT.

papermache
Old 03-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Ron Daniels

I met Adrian when we were both working with George from Hobby Hangar.

Super nice guy. He's now one of the guys that I call for technical advice, when I get stuck on things (I also have Steve Gray from Team JR/Flite Craft at my LHS - Steve did a lot of designing in the 1970's and 1980's).

I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him.

Ron Daniels
Old 03-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Stargazer
My Feedback: (3)

I too built the Newbee and the R2 - the Newbee ended up with a warp in the wing, my fault, I took the wing off the building board and the LE sheeting must have been a little damp cause the next day it was warped, finished and flew it anyway, took quite a bit of ail trim to keep it level,and the darn thing is a beast on the ground! the R2 is just a ***** cat but I too have had the flip over after roll out problem and I fly off ashphalt - only hurts my pride, the plane survives very well. All in all they both left me with a great sense of satisfaction and still do. A great example of why I love R/C
Old 03-07-2004, 12:38 PM
EDsnead
My Feedback: (10)

I have built the Super Cub kit It is a easy build but per design, in order to keep it light
the strength was sacrificed.
My first bad landing virtually wiped it out. It was not a crash as such but a slight nose-in which should have banged up the gear and damaged the cowl
The entire front end was lost The cowl was totally destroyed.
Common sense had told me to beef up the front but I said NO----WRONG! I should have listened to myself (being a former engineer, Overkill was always a major thought in designing.
I'm in the process of restoring the model and this time I'll do it my way.
Had I strenghten it when first buiding it I would have been looking forward to flying it next month when our season starts.
It's a beautiful kit that just needs some help.
Ed
AMA17555
Old 03-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Cubguy

Hi guys, thanks to all who have responded on this topic. I did order the Page Aviation ¼ scale Gee Bee R2 kit in the first week of January. It took about three weeks to get the wood, laser cut parts and hardware. Some damage did occur in shipping (packaging could have been better). Also, some wood sheeting left some to be desired. Have not seen the fiberglass and plastic parts yet. There is a delay or shortage of these components. Although not in a hurry to build, my overall impression of this kit will need to wait till I see it all.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Adrian Page

Gabe,

Your glass and plastic parts were shipped out on March 11th. You should see them very soon. I did have a heck of a time getting them made and delivered to me and I apologise for the delay.
Could you be more specific about the wood you were not happy with? Did you find it too hard or soft? I try to pack only wood that I would use myself. People don't always agree on the best type to use for a given application. If you send me a pic of the damaged parts I will send you new ones.

Adrian
Old 03-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Cubguy

The Page Aviation 1/4 scale Gee Bee R2 kit overall is a good kit. Well thought out, good wood and very nice fiberglass parts. Should be fun to build and fly. Thanks Adrian
Old 04-28-2004, 02:32 AM
CHEF-UK

Totally agree with you all. I am already in talks with Adrian about various things. But I oredering a Gee Bee 1/5 R2 off of him shortly and am very much looking forward to receiving it and getting on with the build.

Something unique about the Gee Bee to other planes. Always gets funny looks, as a lot of people have a perception of how a plane should look. They are quite shocked when they actually see it fly.

Certainly seems like a ncie guy, always friendly emails.

Just my £0.02 pence worth.

Regards

Keith (UK)
Old 04-29-2004, 10:21 AM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

I have the .60 sized R2 kit that I'm building right now... I NEVER had an airplane that fits together as well as this one does! I love the kit so far. Instructions are a little vague, but it's still one of the best kits I've ever had the pleasure to assemble to date. Two thumbs up!
Old 04-29-2004, 04:14 PM
CHEF-UK

And this little piggy just rang Adrian and ordered a 1/5 Gee Bee R2 for shipment to my dwelling in the UK. Looking forward to it.
So now I have a Top Flite Spitfire on the building boards and sone a Gee Bee. Plus its coming up to summer!!!

Keith (UK)
Old 06-22-2004, 08:53 AM
CHEF-UK

It arrived today. Great amount of wood, eveything looks good. The cowl is bloody huge, you have to see it to believe it. If anyone has a photo or 2 of it finished with something scale next to it i would love to see it.

Cant wait to start building it.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:30 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just received my April 2005 Issue of FLY RC magazine, and on page 24 there is a review of Adrian's 1/4-scale R-2 kit. I thought you guys would find it of interest to you. Lots of beautiful color photos, and the shots of the framework are nothing short of breathtaking. There are closeups of the Rudder assembly and the round set-in rudder hinge section that are VERY impressive to say the least. A lot of attention has been paid to scale details, and some not-so obvious attention has been paid to fly-ability. I wasn't expecting it to be that nice! I'm not taking on any more of the giant-scales because I have too many of them, but I have to admit I kinda want that R-2 kit..... Luckily, looking through Adrian's website I found some smaller planes that I think would satisfy my appetite for MORE GeeBees and some other stuff that looked like a lot of fun. Anyway, check out that review, it's a good one.

Jimbo
Old 02-06-2005, 10:14 AM
DamonTX

I'm with you on the giant scales Jimbo. After 25 years of building, theres not a lot of room around here anymore! But since discovering Adrian's company, I can't resist. I'll be ordering the 1/5th R2 when I finish my current project. I'll also order those fiberglass wheelpants while I'm at it, they look great.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:40 AM
aerobatixkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Adrian, do you still fly out in Aylesford?
Old 02-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Adrian Page

Shane,

I do fly in Aylesford sometimes but I joined the Kentville club so I fly there mostly.

Adrian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.