Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Scarf Joints good or bad?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Scarf Joints good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 10:24 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scarf Joints good or bad?

I'm currently building the Dare Wright Flyer. For the wing, LE, TE, and spar the plans call for them all to be scarf jointed. I was going to my LHS today anyway, and I think they have balsa thats long enough to use w/o making scarf joints. My question is: Is there a reason that he calls for them to be scarf jointed? Does it matter either way? Does scarf jointing make it any stronger?
Thanks in advance!
Joe
Old 01-10-2004, 10:46 AM
pete913

Default RE: Scarf Joints good or bad?

I'm guessing the scarf joints are made to accomodate 36" balsa but I dont' know what your wingspan is, so can't say for sure. There's nothing wrong with a properly done scarf joint. It'll be just as strong as the surrounding wood, and actually its a good way to transition from a spruce spar to a balsa spar on the outer wing, where spruce isnt necessary.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:36 AM
DustOffUH1

The wing span is 40.5. I'm going to pick up some extra balsa in case I screw it up.
Thanks!
Joe
Old 01-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Jimmbbo

Scarf joints have been an approved method for wood full scale airplanes for years... oughta be OK !

HTH

Jim
Old 01-10-2004, 02:19 PM
TerrellFlyer

scarf joints are a great way to join two pieces.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:32 PM
DustOffUH1

OK. Scarf joints it is (besides I have no choice, I didn't know until today that balsa came only up to 36", I'm still a bit new to building kits). Anyway I was just curious, and now I know I don't have to worry about it.
Thanks to everyone for replying!
Joe
Old 01-10-2004, 02:50 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy balsa in many different lengths. Look at http://www.lonestar-models.com/ and their standard balsa inventory. Most balsa is cut 36" because the logs are shipped into the states in this length, or very slightly longer. Few hobby shops carry anything other than 36 because 48, the next standard length, is considerably more expensive and fewer people need material that long.

But, as the others have already said, a scarf joint is completely acceptable.

John
Old 01-10-2004, 03:13 PM
CafeenMan

You can get balsa up to 48". Maybe longer, but I've never seen it. I wouldn't scarf joint it unless necessary to make the extra length. If you think you need to for additional strength, but can use one piece that is long enough, then maybe laminate a thin piece of plywood to the stick where the scarft joint was. Without seeing the plan, it's hard to say exactly why they have you doing this. I'm guessing it's just for length - not for strength.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:03 PM
DustOffUH1

Thanks! I'm going to give it a shot now, going by the plans. I have a little miter box with cut outs for different sized wood, so I should be fine (famous last words ).
Thanks again to everyone!
Joe
Old 01-10-2004, 04:09 PM
CafeenMan

dustoff - NO! Don't use a miter box. YOu want that joint to be longer than you can get with a miter box. Just stack one piece over the other and then cut your angle. They should match up perfectly.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:16 PM
pete913

Yes, a wood scarf joint should be no less than an 8 to 1 ratio, lenght to width, and even longer if you can do it.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:17 PM
DustOffUH1

I was just about to lay the plans down and heard my email ding. Thanks Very Much! You caught me in time
Joe
Old 01-10-2004, 04:35 PM
CafeenMan

We're here for you man.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:43 PM
DustOffUH1

I finished the first wing last night. Here's a pic The scarf joints came out just fine. Thanks again for all the help. Greatly appreciated. I have a building question, but I found the designers email address (hopefully its still good).
Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26546.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	89701  
Old 01-11-2004, 06:47 PM
CafeenMan

wouldn't it be easier to work if you got your Ajust-Jig out of the way? Construction looks good. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-11-2004, 07:01 PM
DustOffUH1

Hi CafeenMan,
So far it doesn't bother me too much. I was thinking of unscrewing it for this project, but space is limited in our apartment. So keeping it together is easier. My "work table" isn't too heavy either. Plus I have to put everything away at night. 2 kittens & 1 cat. Its just over the wing anyway. As you can see my "work shop" is the living room. My wife must really love me At least I can paint on the back porch, but not really enough room to build, and its cold back there. Anyway, the bottom wing is next. Thanks for the nice comment
Joe
PS I visit your site fairly often for hints & tips. Its Great Thanks for that too!
Old 01-11-2004, 07:14 PM
CafeenMan

DustOff - I split mine into two pieces because it didn't align well enough to make a one piece wing anyway. I would like to replace that aluminum square piece with a nice piece of seasoned hardwood.

Movers broke both of the stands, so I made new ones from 3/4" pine. I made them so I can clamp them to the table or bolt them. That way they're easily removeable.

Thanks for the compliments ref the website.

What kit is this that you're building?
Old 01-11-2004, 07:25 PM
DustOffUH1

Movers broke both of the stands, so I made new ones from 3/4" pine. I made them so I can clamp them to the table or bolt them. That way they're easily removeable.
That stinks. But a great idea!
Oh its the Dare 1903 Wright Flyer. Compliments well deserved
Old 01-11-2004, 07:29 PM
CafeenMan

Do you have a link for Dare? I've been wanting to build a Wright flyer for a while now. I have scale drawings, but I'd rather build from plans or a kit than design it myself. How scale is it? Mine will be more for display than for flight so I want it to be scale. If it doesn't fly ever, that's ok by me.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:30 PM
DustOffUH1

Here's their web site. [link=http://www.darehobby.com/index.html]Dare Hobby[/link] I bought mine from my LHS, that's closing. Its "fairly well" scale. I saw a couple of pics that people have built. And the box pic look pretty good. He also has a suggestion to get the paper covering to look realistic.
Cover both sides of the flying surfaces using "Skyspan" tissue & dope. Once the tissue is watersized, apply 3 coats of nitrate dope. This system is the most authentic natural linen look I've seen yet
The instructions say to add all the scale detail you want from a pics of the real thing. They just show minimal rigging. I've read posts where people have flown them. I guess they fly fairly well. I don't know if I'm going to fly mine yet. I may be too chicken to