Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

sig hog bipe

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

sig hog bipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 11:42 AM
maayan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig hog bipe

hello
i'm new over here[8D], i've been searching for some time about the sig hog bipe.
before i go out and order one (non available right now)- i would like to know if the os 61 fx will have enough power for it?

thanks
:-)
Old 01-16-2004, 02:14 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: sig hog bipe

yes, the plane was designed around a sport .61 size 2-stoke engine - which is actually shown on the plans.

for a full review I wrote a while back go to: http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Kit...s/HogBipe.html

it's a great flying and easy to build first bipe
Old 01-16-2004, 04:47 PM
maayan

thanks a lot
i read this review a long time ago- and i got the bipe rush
i have one more question about it.
in case the engine stops, does it "fall out" of the sky, or will it glide?
(as much as you can expect out of a bipe).
have seen an ultimate with an engine failure, if it wasn't at a high altitude and close, it would have been a total...

i'm going for the hog because i really like the sig kits, easy and of great quality.
i was looking for something that will look good and fly even better- most important- not an ARF..

now flying the something extra
Old 01-16-2004, 05:55 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

"if it wasn't at a high altitude and close, it would have been a total"

that pretty much describes every bipe I've ever flown including the Sig Hog Bipe. It's just a fact of life, that w/ all that drag their sink ratios is rather high. Still a VERY nice plane that you will enjoy for years.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:23 PM
FUZZ

maayan,

A Sig Hog Bipe was the 2nd kit that I ever built, and I still have and fly mine now. My Hog is appx 6 years old and it just flies great. It is powered by a Thunder Tiger Pro .61 with a tatone strap-on pitts style muffler.

Thanks,
FUZZ
Old 01-16-2004, 11:11 PM
maayan

thanks again to you both.
looking forward to order one.
:-)
Old 01-17-2004, 01:37 AM
swooper

Flew mine yesterday on snow skis. It was a blast doing touch-n-goes from snow.
check out [link=http://www.fubarhill.com]fubar hill[/link] for lots of Hog info, mods, and tips.
Nothing flies like a Hog!
Old 01-17-2004, 02:42 PM
Strykaas

Paul,

did u receive my email ?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:58 AM
swooper

Yes, but it wasn't signed with a name so I deleted it.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:58 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Hi;You mentioned glide.My hog has a the glide angle of a large brick.Also have the small Lazy Ace,skyboldt and until a hit the other day a Phaeton 90,they all seem to glide better than the hog on a dead stick?Lot of people seem to really like the hog but I think any of these are much nicer planes to fly than it?Again just my .02cents!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:43 AM
FUZZ

Hummm,.......

I find that surprising about your Hog's glide. My Hog floats in. It has to be one of the easiest planes that I have flown. My only problem with my hog is that it tends to want to tip over while taxing out but other than that its great.

FUZZ
Old 01-18-2004, 01:36 PM
swooper

I agree with Fuzz, the stock landing gear position seems too far back, at least for grass strips.

As to glide angle, the key is to retain airspeed. It's helpful, I think, to do some flying at very low idle to get used to the Hog's descent rate. We usually make a landing approach at a high idle and don't get familiar with its low speed handling.

If the engine dies you have to let the nose drop and yes, it's a steeper glide path. But at the right speed a decent glide to a flared landing isn't hard to do. It's easy, though, to keep the nose too high and mush the plane down too slowly which loses altitude quickly. I think this is the "glides like a brick" situation. Once the airspeed is lost, you're in trouble. Of course, your first reaction is to pull the stick back, making it worse. You'll either stall or mush on down and pancake onto the ground with no flare possible. Even if you think fast enough, you'll also lose a lot of height by dropping the nose to regain speed.

Believe me, I've pancaked in, smashing the landing gear flat!

In any case it's best to either be near the landing strip or stay higher. Flying low and far out is asking for trouble.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Strykaas

Paul,

I've sent a 2nd email ... Why can't we send you PMs here on RCU ? You are one of the few guys here to which we can't send PMs ...
Old 01-18-2004, 04:15 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

Paul,

I've sent a 2nd email ... Why can't we send you PMs here on RCU ? You are one of the few guys here to which we can't send PMs ... Please adjust your settings ... Thx
Maybe he has settings that way on purpose?
Old 01-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Strykaas

Yes, that's what I thought, but it would be strange to refuse PMs on RCU while accepting emails on his private mail box, wouldn't it [sm=confused.gif] ?
Old 01-18-2004, 04:43 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

Yes, that's what I thought, but it would be strange to refuse PMs on RCU while accepting emails on his private mail box, wouldn't it [sm=confused.gif] ?
Maybe he just wants his messages where they're more easily accessible - like his in and out box with the rest of his e-mail instead of some here and some there. Who knows. I wouldn't have said anything at all except when you asked him to change his settings for you, I thought that was kind of funny.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:46 PM
Strykaas

when you asked him to change his settings for you,
No, that's not what I wanted. No problem with anyone's setting, but I thought he just 'could' have misconfigured his settings, nothing more.
Moreover, when you send him an email through the 'email' button, the email he receives is not signed, that's why he deleted the email I sent to him...
Old 01-19-2004, 08:50 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

HI;In regard to the gear location mine is a wreck I got from a fellow and when we rebuilt it moved the gear to just ahead of the original gear,I fly off blacktop but have had no problem with nosing over but after seeing posts re;gear positin did that.Just pulled the Mag 91 out of it and replaced with a Max 60 as needed the Mag.for my Waco 60 don't think that should make much difference except maybe a little lighter better check balance.Alm ost afraid to fly it as the other day we lost 3 planes on apparent hits all went in no control,really scary,next to a military base that is in the process of big excersie for Iraq bound soldiers.All were different channels really felt bad as lost my Phaeton 90 and wrecked a YS 91 too.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:01 AM
swooper

I didn't mean to cause a ruckus here by getting WAY off topic, but when somebody identified only as "strykaas" asked where my family name came from, I didn't feel like giving an answer. I've enabled the "PM" function now and will give it a try.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Strykaas

I didn't feel like giving an answer
I'm involved in genealogy, that's all ! Way off topic, I agree, that's why I've tried to keep that away from this forum...

Anyway, If you do not want to answer, doesn't matter, as I said earlier, It was just curiosity.

Sorry for the ruckus.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:58 PM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

Default RE: Sig hog bipe

I just recieved my hog in the mail (Tower ) ..I see Sig has gone to all lazor cut parts now .,but any way--I think Tower has them in stock --I have a couple on the bench getting motors & radios installed,soon as they are done gonna start on the Hog --
Well--I have had the plane for 2 weeks now ,and very disapointed .Wing ribs had to be cut out ,I have not found a stright piece of wood in the kit.I have had to already replaced a lot of it.I wonder if $109.00 is a bargin after all ---------Good luck if you buy one-----
Old 02-27-2004, 04:16 PM
bhole74

I love my Hog Bipe and wouldn't change a thing. Best bird in the barn.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87185.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	105673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74562.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	105674  
Old 02-27-2004, 04:30 PM
LouW

Just finished my Hog Bipe today. I've attached a picture of if with my Phaeton II. I completed the Phaeton II at the end of summer and it rapidly became my favorite airplane. I plan a report comparing the two after I get some flying under my belt. The kits were comparable in difficulty but different. I'll expand later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52741.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	105680  
Old 02-27-2004, 04:39 PM
hookedonrc

bhole74: I notice that you have a 4 stroke in the plane and it looks like a Saito GK. Can you tell me the size. I am planning on ordering one as my second kit and wanted to put a 4 stroke in it.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:45 PM
bhole74

It's a 100GK, covered the plane to match. Even found a little flying Snoopy for a pilot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.