Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Bud Nosen Cessna 310 >

Bud Nosen Cessna 310

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bud Nosen Cessna 310

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 11:28 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bud Nosen Cessna 310

I need some input on this kit. I'll start mine soon and have spotted several improvments. Listed below are just a few.
The first thing I see that needs improvement is the wing doesn't have shear webbing, unless I'm over looking it! There are 2 spars in the wing and I plan to place shear webbing on both!
The second thing I see is the vertical stab leading edge is resting on top of the fuse sheeting! No way! In my opinion this leading edge needs to be Spruce and extend into the fuse and be fastened on all sides or at least 2 sides.
I'm thinking about Robart retracts and glass parts from Greg Garrison.

Any input that you might have in helping a fellow builder will be much appreciated!
Thanks RCU for a wonderfull site!
Perry
Old 06-17-2002, 02:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Perry,

I used to own a Nosen 310 and the wing definetly needs some help. Every one of them I have ever seen fly would flap it's wings. If memory serves the front spar is at about 25% and this would be the main one to add the shear webbing to. I would also consider capping the spars with some unidirectional carbon fiber strips, .014 should be plenty. (Works very well on my Bobcat, and Bandit) It would not hurt on the back spar as well. BVM uses balsa spars on their balsa winged airplanes with 1/32" aircraft ply spar webbing, and the CF strips I mentioned and they are very strong wings.

You might want to rethink the spruce on the leading edge of the vertical, hard balsa should be sufficient. Don't add any more weight back there than necessary. If there is another "spar" structure extending down into the fuselage you might be ok with the leading edge connecting to the sheeting. Adding some bracing to it would be a good idea. But I never saw a problem with how mine was built.....of course that WAS 20 years ago.

DR
Old 04-15-2003, 05:33 PM
My Feedback: (33)

Default Nosen 310

Run your leading edge through the upper surface. Stop the rounding at the upper surface. Extend through 1.5 inches into 1/4 inches cross members for and aft. Epoxy. Do this and it will be there when the rest of the aircraft is not.. trust me. Need any additional info let me know I have built 2 of these over the years. You'll need some improvments on the wing attchments areas if you plan to make 2 piece wing. Also don't mount retracts flush with botom of wing.. looks funny when is on the ground.

Rick
Old 04-15-2003, 06:49 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you order the glass parts, make sure they agree to run a strip of glass on the inside of the seam of the tanks. I got glass parts but wasn't real happy with the quality. The tanks have nothing on the seam and will split. I will have to do some work to make them right. There were more large holes in them than there should have been where they had air between the glass and the mold. Overall, they will work well, but will take a bit more work than other glass parts I have gotten from various people.

I like the idea about shear webs. Probably pretty good idea.