Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Phaeton 90 - Gas engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Phaeton 90 - Gas engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 11:46 AM
dcollins
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phaeton 90 - Gas engine?

Hey everyone,
I am wondering if anyone has put a G23 or G26 in your Phaeton 90. Did you run into any problems? How was performance? How about opinions? (usually lots of those!!)

Thanks,
Dion
Old 07-01-2004, 10:08 PM
kamakazi
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Phaeton 90 - Gas engine?

Dion, I've used several engines on my Phaeton 90, a Supertiger 90,Quadra 35 and a Zenoah G38. The G38 made it hop with autority. I'd say any engine up to a 41cc would do fine. I had great performance with the G38. Hope this helps.
Harold
Old 07-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Herb Brown

Several guys in my club have flown Phaeton 90's on G23 power with great sucess. I had one that I flew for about 8 years until a broken elevator clevis did it in. If you build a Phaeton 90, I suggest that you put about 1 to 1.5 degrees positive incidence in the stabilizer. Makes it much more pitch stable when changing throttle settings.
Several were built with additional small ailerons in the top wing. Greatly improves the roll rate.
A 16-8 APC prop is a great prop for the G23.
Enjoy!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:45 AM
dcollins
My Feedback: (12)

[quote]ORIGINAL: kamakazi

Dion, I've used several engines on my Phaeton 90, a Supertiger 90,Quadra 35 and a Zenoah G38. The G38 made it hop with autority. I'd say any engine up to a 41cc would do fine. I had great performance with the G38. Hope this helps.

Harold,
What did you do to get the gasser in the plane. I was told by Balsa USA that the plane is too narrow. They suggested making the plane wider by an inch or making a new firewall and use a radial cowl.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:03 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tried one with a Maloney 1.00 and 1.25. It flew ok, scale I guess. It now has a ST 2500 in it. Plane was built heavy so it needs the extra power.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My latest one has a Quadra 72CC and flys exceptionally well with good vertical performance. The only change I made to original plans was to enlarge the rudder by about 200%. I found incidence on the upper wing made a big difference in how well it flew; wound up with lower wing at zero, upper wing minus 1.5 degrees and stab at zero. The upper wing incidence seemed to be the most important one as just a change of 1/2 degree either way made a big difference. Mine only has ailerons on the lower wing. Now 12 years old and still flying great. I've seen others that fly well with anything from a 1.20 four stroke on up. The G26 should be an excellent choice.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently completed a Phaeton 90 for a hobby shop that included a G-26 for the power plant. It required few modifications for the engine installation. You can forget about installing the cowl, though. It flys very well, with an abundance of power.

The biggest problem was avoiding cutting down the engine back plate that comes with the engine. Since it was not my plane or engine, I chose to make a slightly wider and taller bolt on firewall that attached to the existing firewall to accomodate the G-26. That way the owner could change to a different engine if desired and still maintain the stock, unmodified, G-26 back plate for another plane.

You may want to re-locate the flight servos to the tail for better balance purposes. I did, and it made it a lot easier to get the correct C/G with only the throttle servo and flight battery in the fuselage at the wing saddle. Just add some 3/32" lite ply panels at the aft section of the fuselage for support around the servo openings.